Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

My daughter's new ride

jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

My daughter's new ride Empty My daughter's new ride

Post by jonnyteabag on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 5:13 pm

Hi all, since my daughter Louise got her bike I've been meaning to post up an hello on here..so better late..so they say.

The bike, an 02 blue in standard condition, was bought from a good neighbour who had the bike as a standby to replace his 98 model, but as he is getting on and his original has now covered 120,000+ mls he came to the conclusion that the bike would outlast him so he let his "good" bike go!!

So a deal was done and Louise got a great bike to start her biking life on.

The bike had been standing inside the guy's house for over two years with tank removed, drained and stored. He in fact bought the bike locally from an engineer who himself had ridden it very little from new and was stood in a warm workshop for most of its life.  So the bike came with 7900 miles of which my neighbour had done around 2000 before storing it.  During the time he was using it he noticed that the water pump was leaking from the drain hole (most probably dried out and damaged the seal).  I knew that it needed a little recommissioning to run through the bike and check all was OK.

The carbs fortunately had been drained dry and the inside of the tank was absolutely as good as the day it had been made which was astonishing given its age.  Everything on the bike was as it left the factory and all that was required was to check all electrical connections (which were perfect), buy a new battery, add fuel and clean up the years of household dust that had settled on it, even the chain was in perfect condition.   The only setback I encountered was that the innermost clutch plates had apparently drained dry of all the oil on them through being stood and never turned in anger with the unusual sympton that the bike started and ran fine when cold with the clutch releasing perfectly but when hot the ceased clutch plates would continue driving the bike with the clutch pulled in and the bike in gear which was a little alarming for Louise to say the least. 

So on stripping the clutch I found that the outer friction plates were nice and oily but everything from 2nd plate down had a light coat of rust on them and had turned blue with slippage from no lubrication.  This was sorted by a new EBC clutch kit and case gasket - job sorted.  Obviously all the above problems were due to non-use and the guy who sold us it was astonished to hear of so many problems on a "new bike" but as I said these problems occur when not used and his own 98 model would go forever as he was using it everyday.  In fact everything on his high miler is original only service parts have ever been needed and the "original chain and clutch" are still in use.  It is incredible I know but I have known him since he bought this bike secondhand off a friend with 12000 miles on the clock.

So that's a little about the bike I will try and find some pictures to post up later.

Ride safe
JT Rolling Eyes
wornsprokets
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

My daughter's new ride Empty Re: My daughter's new ride

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 6:18 pm

Welcome to forum jt...the cb500 a great bike i am sure your daughter will be very happy with it....a very good first bike....
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 6:25 pm

Some pics....I hope Rolling Eyes My daughter's new ride 20160431
My daughter's new ride 20160434
My daughter's new ride 20160436
My daughter's new ride 20160432
My daughter's new ride 20160433
My daughter's new ride 20160435
My daughter's new ride 20160514
My daughter's new ride 20160515
My daughter's new ride 20160437
She's scrubbeb up well! Cool Cool
All in all Lou is well chuffed!!
JT Rolling Eyes
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 6:38 pm

My daughter's new ride Img-2010
JT santa santa santa
wornsprokets
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 7:15 pm

Wow thats a super clean cb500..   best luck with cb louise & jt
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 7:44 pm

She looks really nice, bike doesn't look too bad either Wink  Welcome to the forum I've never seen one of thoses in such great condition!
skyrider
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm

yep really nice happy Christmas santa
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 9:08 pm

Thanks for the nice comments guys Very Happy 

My neighbour waited over two years for the original owner to capitulate and sell him the bike Shocked 

So its a bit of a time warp machine My daughter's new ride 737901405 

So far its cost me the price of a new water pump,upgraded battery (thanks to this forum!) A pair of new Michelin Actives the replacement clutch,then a decent service, coolant flush/change, brake strip clean and fluid change etc, strip check and dialetic grease of all the electrics then finishing off with plenty of elbow grease Smile

Upgrades have so far included the fitting of a small puig screen and some heated clothing looms fitted to the battery, some heated grips to fit and some bikeviz led bullets to make the bike more visible to traffic.

Louise just needs to gain experience now as she only passed her test last Nov and hasn't had much riding time since.

As I've been nosing round this great forum for a while now i must say what a great bunch of people there is here!
The friendship seems very similar to the Versys 650 forums that I frequent, so that's a big thumbs up from me!

Ride safe, JT Rolling Eyes
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 9:31 pm

Using a website like fuelly could help you find out what mpg the bike is doing. I personally use it as do a few other members I think this is mine. If not filling up every 170 miles is a good habit of getting into.
Alvi
Alvi
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 9:58 pm

Hi Jonny & Louise, welcome to the forum. Great story, enjoyed reading it. I hope Louise enjoys her lovely CB500! Merry Christmas santa
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm

@jonnyteabag wrote:
So its a bit of a time warp machine :bike: 

It certainly is!

Really looks like it's just rolled out of the factory! I'm not surprised your neighbour took a while to persuade the previous owner to part with it.

Given the history, there probably isn't many other CB500s that can claim to be in such original condition (screen and tyres accepted - pretty sure those Michelins didn't exist in 1998).

Glad to hear you've found the forum useful, best of luck to your daughter!
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:35 pm

Welcome along, and a very clean bike there. Nice list of things that needed doing too, might well be useful to others resurrecting bikes or thinking of buying one to do up.

muttley1
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 11:18 pm

Cleanest CBive seen in a while. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm wondering why the rear brake fluid resovior appears to be attached with a cable tie, when it should be a bolt?
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 11:29 pm

One thing I forgot about which was again probably due to the bike being stood, but the head bearings had rusted into position!!

Which then led to the discovery of the unusual arrangement Honda used for this bike! Shocked
Half an hour of dremmeling later, all was resolved Smile 

When are manufacturers going learn to put grease in the bearings on the assembly line eh?

It's a good job my previous career as a vehicle techie stands me in good stead for all this fettling Laughing 

But least the bike's been bottomed now and all that remains is for Lou to enjoy riding it.
wornsprokets
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 11:35 pm

My wife  also named louise, has never like any of my bikes xlr 250 baja, cb1 400,'s cbr 600's and cbr900's that changed when she saw my cb500.. she loves it and happy me collecting her from work in summer..on it.
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 11:37 pm

Ah the rear brake res was just detached for access as the top is restricted when bleeding the rear brake.

some of the pics are from the bike arriving to us, but are not in any particuler order.

JT
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm

@jonnyteabag wrote:One thing I forgot about which was again probably due to the bike being stood, but the head bearings had rusted into position!!

Which then led to the discovery of the unusual arrangement Honda used for this bike! Shocked
Half an hour of dremmeling later, all was resolved Smile 

I was funny enough reading about this the other day and one of the lads who race the cb500's used a tig welder and welded around the bearing cup that then made it fall out.
 My daughter's new ride 15492275_10211146966608142_3248269927684478621_n
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 12:57 am

Yeah I know all about the weld/heat technique but I have no access to welding kit at home..

JT
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 11:30 am

You don't need a TIG welder to do this - any old type of welder will do - weld around the part to heat it up and hope the heat will help in making it drop out or do that *and* attempt to weld an old bolt or steel rod to the bearing to give yourself more purchase.
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

My daughter's new ride Empty What I've been up to..

Post by jonnyteabag on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 5:16 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything on the "improvements" I've been adding to Lou's bike, so I'll list them here..

In no particular order.

Got some Bikeviz front and rear bullets, made some brackets from some spare stainless strip I had laying around then sprayed the brackets black so as not to stand out too much.
Also got the modulator that makes the front ones twinkle which really seems to make a difference.
Got the gadget that makes the rear red bullets become tail and brake lamps Cool 

Whilst the headlamp was out to fit the LED modulator I also fitted a LED sidelight bulb, the result is that now the bike is much more visible from the front with only the side lights on...in fact the LED's stand out much better than having the dipped beam on IMO.

When Lou got the bike the front pipes an exhaust had been given a rough brush over with some fire stove paint and was just slapped on here an there so I cleaned the rear silencer up an sprayed it up with some proper exhaust paint but it showed the front pipes up somewhat so I've taken the whole lot off and stripped the front pipes back and I'm about to spray them up to match the rear.
I was really lucky with the front exhaust nuts as they were just cracked loose an then spun off by hand with the studs looking like new and they stayed in the head Very Happy 
I've got some new chrome exhaust nuts together with new gaskets for all the system to refit afterwards.

Next up was a set of CBF125 pattern indicators which then necessitated some alloy spacers being made in order to fit properly Rolling Eyes (you can see the spacers in the pic's below)
But the end result was worth it, and it got a big thumbs up from Lou Laughing

So there we are for time being, the things still to do are sorting the bottom front fork legs as the ally's bubbling thru, poss fit some heated grips, and possibly a volt meter....Oh, and get her to ride it more this year! Laughing
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 5:27 pm

Glad to heard that the bike is coming along nicely, and that the exhaust nuts and studs were free. 

That's interesting to hear that you've had to make some spacers for your cbf125 indicators as I've got them fitted into my bike and I just used a washer. I guess you're doing the job properly though, then again @jerryfudd drilled out the front holes for his to fit to the front.
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 5:34 pm

My daughter's new ride Img_2039
My daughter's new ride Img_2037
My daughter's new ride Img_2038
My daughter's new ride Img_2042
My daughter's new ride Img_2040
My daughter's new ride Img_2041
My daughter's new ride Img_2043
My daughter's new ride Img_2044
My daughter's new ride Img_2047
My daughter's new ride Img_2046
My daughter's new ride Img_2045
My daughter's new ride Img_2049
My daughter's new ride Img_2048
Yeah, James I considered opening the holes out but went for the spacer option as i can just refit back to standard Rolling Eyes
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 5:40 pm

You can see my spacers here:My daughter's new ride Img_2050
My daughter's new ride Img_2051
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 9:31 am

Looks like sensible mods to me; do you have a link to where you bought the LED sidelight bulb?
jonnyteabag
jonnyteabag
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by jonnyteabag on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 2:07 pm

I got my LED sidelight from powerbulbs.co.uk which seem to offer 10 -20% off permanently.

They are Osram T4W (BA9s) LED Driving Cool White (twin pack)
Currently selling for £15.99 inc discount, post free.

I have to say that I've had some crap cheap fleabay LED's in the past Crying or Very sad and vowed I would never buy cheap crap again so I bit the bullet and stumped up the dosh for these Rolling Eyes 

As I only needed 1 bulb for the CB I used the other one for the boot light in the car which made a huge difference to finding stuff in the dark compared to the candle that was in before Smile

Ride Safe

JT Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 2:54 pm