Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Steering wobble

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: Steering wobble

Post by trevor machine on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 9:15 am

It's funny but one of my 500s gets a bit head shaky and the other doesn't. The one that does is running Michelin Pilot Activs, and the one that does, Avon Road Riders. The irony being that you might expect the Avons to be the shaky culprits. However, and for all that, I'd prefer the shaky bike with the Michelins on it. The shakes are quite mild, pretty predictable and very easy to ride around. I do suspect they're tyre-related, but it'll be a little while before I can find out for sure. The shakes happen when entering a corner at 45 or above. Has to be comparatively tight.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:35 am

I'd be tempted to swap the wheels to test the theory.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:53 am

Good idea!!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:48 pm

I also thought that a loose swinging arm could cause a wobble.  May be worth checking that too.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:11 pm

sullivj wrote:I also thought that a loose swinging arm could cause a wobble.  May be worth checking that too.

Many years ago I was loaned a Kawasaki Z1 900 which I thought I'd give the full beans to see what a superbike was like. It had 'interesting' handling.
Turned out that the swinging arm was loose.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:45 pm