You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Greetings all

TonyC

Greetings all

Post by TonyC on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 9:59 pm

Now the proud owner of a 1997 cb500s after 10 years on a Lambretta.Love the power and the reliability.
Feel like I'm 17 again.All for the princely sum of £725.Right moment right time on Gumtree. Bargain Very Happy Very Happy..Woo hoo....
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Greetings all

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:14 pm

Welcome tony ive a 97 cb.. there a great bike... bit different from lambretta alrite
TonyC

Post by TonyC on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:21 pm

Cheers for the welcome...Loved the Lamby but more under it than on it and the further I got from home the tighter my sphincter got... Shocked  will it break down..will it start......oh my....
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:31 pm

Have mine 2yrs, ultra reliable... had few small problems... leaky radiator...leaky shocks.. leaky fork seals...but its an old bike now...so to be expected... starts every day.... handles great...pennies to run...great under seat storage... build quality..could be better....
TonyC

Post by TonyC on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:38 pm

Had a few teething probs myself....new rectifier...new battery...new chain and sprockets...now running sweet as a nut... Very Happy
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:45 pm

Yes there not good original rectifiers with out cooling fins... it failed in cb& my old fireblade... as there same part
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, I also have a 97 model cb500 I can't say the same about reliability but I love mine!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:17 pm

The fact that you kept going with your cb james...with the problems  you had... says to me i dont think you get rid of that bike now.... its stuck with you now Cool
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:22 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:The fact that you kept going with your cb james...with the problems  you had... says to me i dont think you get rid of that bike now.... its stuck with you now Cool

I have a few things planned for next season to make her a little more unique but I have a feeling that it may well slightly annoy a few members though Wink I'll pm you the details
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 14 Dec 2016, 7:48 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@wornsprokets wrote:The fact that you kept going with your cb james...with the problems  you had... says to me i dont think you get rid of that bike now.... its stuck with you now 8)

I have a few things planned for next season to make her a little more unique but I have a feeling that it may well slightly annoy a few members though ;) I'll pm you the details

I'm sure they won't annoy me :) (so you should post them!) I'm currently considering whether I should make my bike look better (new paint, clean more of it, tart it up etc) or continue further in the rat direction that it is currently going...  I'm sure a nice coat of all-over matt black probably wouldn't be to everyone's taste...

Anyway, Tony, hello!

Glad to see you've replace the regulator-rectifier and battery already - they are the most likely thing to go wrong. Probably the next most likely thing to cause concern is the cam-chain tensioner - thankfully this makes a noise long before it actually goes wrong.

Does you bike have a clutch rattle when in neutral? Does it go away when you pull the clutch in? Good, it's a CB500 then! As you might have guessed, they all do that sir! (honestly - they actually do!)

Got any pictures of your bike? We'd all like to see them...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:45 am