Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Chain mileage

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Chain mileage

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:20 pm

Just wondering what sort of mileage you get out of chain and sprokets on cb, i got a jt chain and sprokets  oring...ive about 9/10k miles on them... there very little adjustment left in the chain... sprokets look fine thinking of taking a link out of the chain in maybe xmas /janurary.....ive done alot of city riding.. and dublin city full of potholes
Jameshambleton

Re: Chain mileage

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:53 pm

I got 16k out of my oe on my cbf125 and 29,850 miles out of the oe chain on my cb500. 

My cb400 has a JT chain and I've had to adjust it twice since I've had it, fitted for 1337 miles seemed new when I got the bike and it's a link too short anyway... 

If you're keeping your bike for a while get a did vx chain, I've had mine fitted for 11k miles and I've hardly had to adjust it - I've found using a scottoiler massively helps
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:57 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Just wondering what sort of mileage you get out of chain and sprokets on cb, i got a jt chain and sprokets  oring...ive about 9/10k miles on them... there very little adjustment left in the chain... sprokets look fine thinking of taking a link out of the chain in maybe xmas /janurary.....ive done alot of city riding.. and dublin city full of potholes

All that acceleration away from the lights in town doesn't help :)

With a 'normal' length chain if it's got so worn that you are having to think about taking a link out then it is, erm, knackered! Is it possible that a previous someone has put on a chain with too many links? (boring I know but it might be worth counting them and comparing with Haynes).

As James has said a scottoiler can help in this regard: the constant oiling helps to wash grot off the chain before it has the chance to grind its way past the o-rings, even if you don't do anything to else to clean it. The trick with any automatic chain oiler is to find the sweet spot between a bone-dry-chain and tyre-oiling-death, which, in my experience, takes a little while to perfect.

I'm pretty sure the chain I just took off lasted about 18k miles at least - for the record I don't have a scottoiler and don't/didn't clean my chain that often. I used sticky 90W gear oil on it, mainly.

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:10 pm

I've used 15w 40 engine oil, 2 stroke oil, scott oil, next mix is going to be fork oil engine oil and 2stroke oil. Anything that washes through the chain is great, avoid chain wax aka grinding paste.
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 7:08 pm

I'm experimenting with chainsaw oil, I've read about people having some success with it. It's basically between 80W and 90W in viscosity.
I'm still perfecting the amount I need to put on each time, as it had a tendency to repaint my rear wheel (and tyre!) in greasy gunk...
We'll see how long my chain lasts with this.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 14 Dec 2016, 8:06 am

@ZekeVal wrote:I'm experimenting with chainsaw oil, I've read about people having some success with it. It's basically between 80W and 90W in viscosity.
I'm still perfecting the amount I need to put on each time, as it had a tendency to repaint my rear wheel (and tyre!) in greasy gunk...

Yeah, this stuff is quite like gear oil and yes it does get stuck to the back wheel!

You can clean it off with kerosene (paraffin) if all else fails!
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Wed 14 Dec 2016, 4:59 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@ZekeVal wrote:I'm experimenting with chainsaw oil, I've read about people having some success with it. It's basically between 80W and 90W in viscosity.

Yeah, this stuff is quite like gear oil and yes it does get stuck to the back wheel!

You can clean it off with kerosene (paraffin) if all else fails!

I've used brake cleaner and lately some kind of denatured petrol: "Essence F" in french, don't know the equivalent in english, but it's used to clean greasy stains and it's basically lighter fluid. Both worked great.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 2:38 pm

My chain kit is approaching 50.000 km. I changed the front sprocket about 10.000 km ago, as it gets worn three times faster than the rear sprocket Smile

Using a loobman chain oiler (fully manual, dirt cheap and filled with SAE75W/90 gear oil).
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 5:18 pm

That chain oiler looks good, do you have any pic of your installation on the bike? How often do you give it a squeeze?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 8:58 am

@ZekeVal wrote:That chain oiler looks good, do you have any pic of your installation on the bike? How often do you give it a squeeze?

I believe he does.... have a look at this post.

I'm pretty sure that you gauge the frequency and amount of squeezing based on how oily the chain/your wheel looks after the ride :)
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:08 am

Thank you very much for the link. I like the concept, I may try it in the near future.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 2:03 pm

Nearly 12,000 miles on my DID chain & JT sprockets. Only time I've ever had to adjust the chain was when I had the wheel off for a new tyre. Using 90 gear oil every 300 miles or so, when she's hot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:31 pm