Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Help - My CB500 not start (What could be?)

Crash_N_Burn

Help - My CB500 not start (What could be?)

Post by Crash_N_Burn on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 6:38 pm

Hi folks, its me again.
Wonder if anyone can help me solve this new problem:

Recently dismantled all the plastic parts, including the deposit, to paint.
Everything was working, I even walked with it with the tank mounted. But after all painted and mounted in the right place, when I went to ride the bike did not start.

I tried running with it in 2 gear, but it did not work. After 6 tries one guy offers me help and put the cable in his car and eventually my bike starts. But after a few minutes of work, it stopped and it never worked again, even with the cables in the car.

Read that i should not have placed the car to charge my battery because the amperer of the car, may I have damaged the battery or the voltage regulator (rectifier)? Or could I have drowned the engine of trying to start?

I do not know what to do if they can help thank you very much folks.
Best Regards
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Re: Help - My CB500 not start (What could be?)

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 8:48 am

Hi,

If you did nothing mechanical and only removed parts for painting, my guess is that you pinched one of the hoses that connects the tank. There are two I think. One from the tap to the carbs and the breather. Pinching either of those will result in a no start. Also, you may have forgotten to reattach the vacuum hose from the engine to the fuel tap.

Using a car to jump the bike will not harm the battery. They are both 12v. You can also test the battery with a multimeter if you are concerned. Hope that helps
Crash_N_Burn

Post by Crash_N_Burn on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:41 am

Hi Liverpool_f_, tanks for the reply!

I aint sleep all this nigth, just thinking about what could cause that issue...and even just read your sugestion now, i was thinking about to remove all the plastics again and re-check all the items. and i remember to realocate the CDI module on the proper local (at the rigth side) because at the time it was a bit loose.

Gona check if its anything disconected there and verify all hoses.
tanks for te tip folk; gonna tell you later (hope is just that simple!).
Vardypeeps
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 11:05 am

Seems like an electrical or charging issue if it's cut out after a few mins?

It didn't by chance just run out of fuel and the tap needed switching over to reserve (I only say this just in case)?

Jump starting from a car is fine I just try to avoid having the car running so there is no possiblility of overloading the bikes system and I never leave the leads attached to charge the battery either...?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 1:34 pm

As well as checking all the above it would be worth checking and cleaning any electrical connectors that have been moved or disturbed, just in case.

Also, before you try anything else, take the battery off the bike and charge it up if you can. You will then be starting from a known situation.

I would also suggest you buy a multimeter (something like this) you can the check that the charging voltage is correct (14.5 volts when revving the engine to 5000 rpm with the headlight on). This will give you an idea if the regulator rectifier is working or not.
Crash_N_Burn

Post by Crash_N_Burn on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

Folks...its alive!! Laughing

I I swear I had connected everything right ... but I do not know how, the hose coming from the carburetor was disconnected ...
When When I removed the tank for the paint job, i isolated the faucet inlet from the reserve, possibly when connecting it again, I did not remove the tape that had it in the said hose... She could be connected but she did not hold back in place, so the first time its work and then never again, when the hose get loose  Laughing.

Sorry my numbness folks...
Tanks alot for the advices

Vardypeeps: Ive checked so many times, put off then on, then reserve, and by disclaimer of conscience all the tests run on that state, just in case of not enough fuel (not much but it had), but tanks anyway
eternally_troubled: yes im gonna buy one of these, because its betther check if all its ok

Many tanks for you guys, it was just a fright
Huges folks!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 11:54 pm

I wonder if you forgot to connect the vacuum hose that goes from the back of the fuel tap to a pipe on the cylinder inlet which provides the vacuum? If you had done this the bike would run for a bit (using the petrol in the carb bowls) but it would stop eventually.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it working again!
Vardypeeps
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Vardypeeps on Thu 08 Dec 2016, 12:28 pm

Excellent glad you found the problem!
Crash_N_Burn

Post by Crash_N_Burn on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 7:20 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:I wonder if you forgot to connect the vacuum hose that goes from the back of the fuel tap to a pipe on the cylinder inlet which provides the vacuum?  If you had done this the bike would run for a bit (using the petrol in the carb bowls) but it would stop eventually.

the reserve switch had two hoses rigth? One large hose were the fuel flows and another one smaller and that one goes strait to the carb body. it was that one  Laughing...seems i link it on place it work fine, even today grab my girlfriend and got to ride. (she ride it a bit for the first time ever too)

The CB run smoth now, tanks alot guys!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 12:48 pm

@Crash_N_Burn wrote:

@eternally_troubled wrote:I wonder if you forgot to connect the vacuum hose that goes from the back of the fuel tap to a pipe on the cylinder inlet which provides the vacuum?  If you had done this the bike would run for a bit (using the petrol in the carb bowls) but it would stop eventually.

the reserve switch had two hoses rigth? One large hose were the fuel flows and another one smaller and that one goes strait to the carb body. it was that one  :lol:...seems i link it on place it work fine, even today grab my girlfriend and got to ride. (she ride it a bit for the first time ever too)

The CB run smoth now, tanks alot guys!

Yeah, that's right.

The on/off/reserve switch has an 'automatic' element to it - when the engine is running there is a vacuum provided from the cylinder inlet and the switch does as you would expect (i.e. on, off or reserve).  When the engine is stopped there is no vacuum and the switch automatically cuts the fuel flow to make sure the carbs cannot overflow (if the float valves are worn).

If you leave the vacuum hose off the bike will definitely not work :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 22 Jun 2017, 9:32 pm