Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Electrics Dead

Scatcat1994
Squiddy
Squiddy

Electrics Dead

Post by Scatcat1994 on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 3:29 pm

Hey guys I know I'm coming round like a bad smell on here but I have another issue.

Today I was riding home along the motorway and my electrics died, everything cut out, spark, lights, dials etc. 

I was able to limp the bike home intermittently by smacking the tank.  This seemed to make the electrics work again but it kept on cutting out every couple of minutes. 

Is this a loose connection or an earth or a short circuit?

If anyone has had a similar sounding issue or knows where I could start looking that would be fantastic.

Cheers again guys,

-Scott
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Re: Electrics Dead

Post by geoffnorfolk on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 5:07 pm

I had a similar problem with my NTV650 recently.......... take the tank/side panels off and with the ignition on, try moving/flexing the wires at various positions............... If you're lucky, the ignition will switch on/off when you're moving the wires at a certain point and you'll be able to find the offending bit.  I actually found 2 problems.............. one of the wires in the loom, under the tank had chaffed through + the 4 wire connector that went on the solenoid was full of corrosion and was only connecting intermittently..... in fact it had been making such a poor connection, it must have been sparking and melted the plastic.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 7:48 pm

loose battery connection, had the problem a while back was good at low revs when she got to about 5k she died.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 9:30 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:loose battery connection, had the problem a while back was good at low revs when she got to about 5k she died.

This is good advice and really the first place to start before trying anything more complicated or difficult.

Assuming the above doesn't work and before ripping the loom apart it is worth going over the main connectors and cleaning them up/checking for corrosion - just in case!
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 5:07 pm

Sounds like a loose battery connection or an issue with the starter relay fuse.
Had the same happen on an old SV650 and it turned out to be corrosion on the starter relay that was jumping across, wiggling the wires also seemed to bring it back to life Smile
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 5:23 pm

I had a similar problem and it was because my fuses weren't being held tightly in their connectors. You might see arcing if you look down into the fuse box in the dark. Make sure all the connectors have good tensions and the fuses are not corroded. Its a 5 minute job to check it so worth a stab if others simple ideas don't check out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:45 pm