Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

These are getting cheaper now...

sullivj
the 900
the 900

These are getting cheaper now...

Post by sullivj on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 6:17 pm

I had the faired version. It's a solid bike for not a fortune.

Could be a contender if good quality CBs are becoming harder to find:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-HONDA-CBF-600-N-6-BLACK-/132017703681?hash=item1ebcde4b01:g:nfUAAOSwB09YPHYz
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Re: These are getting cheaper now...

Post by ceejay on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 6:35 pm

Yep, on my list if my CB blew up tomorrow (not likely). I like the 'boring' styling, the bike would tick a lot of boxes for me...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 7:51 pm

The only snag about the CBF (it's not a big snag) is the lack of the under-seat storage. You do get a monoshock so it's not all bad Smile

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 8:04 pm

There is a bit of storage under the rear seat, but nothing like the cave that the CB has!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 8:05 pm

Being a 2007 bike it'd do for the ultra low emmision zone when it comes in too.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 8:26 pm

ashcroc wrote:Being a 2007 bike it'd do for the ultra low emmision zone when it comes in too.

Indeed... which is, of course, mental as it has the same engine as the CB500 :) Before anyone says anything, yes, I know the CBF500 has a (small) cat and yes, it will make the emissions a bit better, but still... bearing in mind there are single occupancy porsche cayennes sitting in the traffic you are filtering past - who is producing the most emissions? Anyway... (I don't have anything against Porsche cayennes, it was just an example).
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 8:36 pm

I spent a fair few hours on those bikes, one way or another - I learnt on them, and the school had two. One carb'd, one EFI. The former was by far the better bike. Not because it was smoother or because the fuelling/mapping was poor on the latter (afaicr it was smooth and well sorted). No - it was primarily because it was shagged, and had also been lowered (so was crampy as fuck).

Slightly overweight and bland, it was imo nevertheless easy to ride and seemed to pull well enough in the legal speed realms. It felt like it went where it was pointed - both slow and fast, stopped reasonably too.

However, I did think a mate's Hornet felt lighter and more manageable. So my ideal would be the smaller, less tall feel of the Hornet but with the lower state of tune engine of the CBF - to try and take the best of both and make a kind of hybrid. After all, the CBF apparently weighs 197kg and the Hornet a comparatively svelte 179kg. Power is 76bhp and 97bhp respectively. I don't need 97 - certainly not if it's going to be from wringing a stressful 15k rpm from a bike, or whatever.

So - content with 76 hosses, how come I have to incur a weight gain of almost 20kg? Where is the CBF stashing all that ballast? I'm guessing it's internally located for the most part - a heavier flywheel?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 8:55 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:The only snag about the CBF (it's not a big snag) is the lack of the under-seat storage.  You do get a monoshock so it's not all bad Smile

But how advantageous *is* a monoshock on bikes like these? I mean, I can understand it on sportier orientated efforts such as the CBR600F. However for everyday use where you're not on the ragged edge, seeking rigidity and responsiveness, it seems comfort and slightly more plush damping are more desirable.

I sometimes think twin shocks aren't given their dues - and that monos can be overly difficult to service (iirc there are 27 separate bushes hidden away in the Pro-Link style shock absorber on my '80s CB125TD). Also a fair few of these mono shock absorbers seem to be positioned right beneath the swinging arm and in the direct path of water and debris thrown up by the rear wheel. They are difficult to get to to protect and clean, and so are often neglected by previous owners. It wouldn't be so bad if manufacturers fitted grease nipples like on my old CRM250 and the aforementioned CB125. But they hardly ever did. They do seem to have learned now though because a lot of these new bikes e.g. the Kawasaki ER6 have the mono shock in a higher location, where everything is visible and up out of the way.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 8:58 pm

Does the Hornet have a aluminium chassis? My bike school also had them and the cbf500 (very similar looking bikes!)

They are also one of the more common Honda's I see having a hard life around London which is a good sign too (along with the nc700).

Being a 2007 bike it'd do for the ultra low emmision zone when it comes in too.

This was a major reason why it is on my list, especially as it seems there are not many post 07 bikes with this classic round headlight, subtle look

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 8:59 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:

ashcroc wrote:Being a 2007 bike it'd do for the ultra low emmision zone when it comes in too.

Indeed... which is, of course, mental as it has the same engine as the CB500 Smile  Before anyone says anything, yes, I know the CBF500 has a (small) cat and yes, it will make the emissions a bit better, but still... bearing in mind there are single occupancy porsche cayennes sitting in the traffic you are filtering past - who is producing the most emissions? Anyway...  (I don't have anything against Porsche cayennes, it was just an example).

My example was a CBF600, which has a different engine to the humble cb/cbf500. The 600 is a four cylinder for starters.

Like Trevor, I prefer the carbed 600, which this one is.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 9:27 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:

Indeed... which is, of course, mental as it has the same engine as the CB500 Smile  Before anyone says anything, yes, I know the CBF500 has a (small) cat and yes, it will make the emissions a bit better, but still... bearing in mind there are single occupancy porsche cayennes sitting in the traffic you are filtering past - who is producing the most emissions? Anyway...  (I don't have anything against Porsche cayennes, it was just an example).

It's a hornet Wink
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 9:26 pm

sullivj wrote:

My example was a CBF600, which has a different engine to the humble cb/cbf500. The 600 is a four cylinder for starters.

Like Trevor, I prefer the carbed 600, which this one is.

ashcroc wrote:

It's a hornet ;)

Ah shit, that will teach me to read things properly! :)  Ignore what I was saying (you should probably do that quite a lot of the time anyway)!
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 5:32 pm

Just to clear up not all 07 plate bikes will be legal in London. They must be euro 3 compliant. Many bikes died out around 2007 that were not, like the cbf500 for example. Even though some of those will be registered 07 and even 08 they will not be legal. Almost everything carburetted died with euro 3 like the original cbf600. So fuel injected cbf's will be legal, carbed ones not. Thats why they changed the design around this time
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 6:39 pm

Soon, the only people who will be able to motor in London will be the 'summer resident oil-rich' seen frequently in YouTube supercar-at-Harrods videos, and bankers who can afford Rolls Royces.
Glad I don't have to go there.
ThunderChild1898

Post by ThunderChild1898 on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 7:15 pm

Hate the concept of the ulez if it includes any motorbike really
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 8:00 pm

Why are motorbikes in a congestion charge any way... emissions thats a joke...(for motorbikes anyway) i do 44 miles(in and out) into dublin city and back... i can get into work in 30mins and 45mins in evening....it take two  hours each way in car  plus carpark fee too.  motorbikes should be exempt..... i am sure in ireland there be a congestion charge here in next 5yrs.....into dublin city......when i was in new york in october there was a 8 dollar toll charge on way into city but free on way out.
 i wouldnt mind cbf 500 as it has cb 500 engine...i wouldnt want cbf600....i rather have cb600 hornet or s version with top fairing...its a detuned cbr 600f engine...but not 75hp like cbf600...(cbr 600f strangled tune)

Last edited by wornsprokets on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gobshite that cant spell)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 12:16 am

wornsprokets wrote:Why are motorbikes in a congestion charge any way
motorbikes should be exempt.....
i am sure in ireland there be a congestion charge here in next 5yrs.
WS, this is why I'm in MAG which fights this kind of bureaucratic stupidity.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 3:07 pm