Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Gas Solder Iron

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Gas Solder Iron

Post by sullivj on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 1:19 pm

Having seen a friend using one, I got one for myself.  Nicely made, and almost instant heat up time.  Saves messing about with cables and waiting for the electric one to heat up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LARRQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Gas Solder Iron

Post by ashcroc on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 2:09 pm

Saw something like this about 25 years ago & always regretted not getting it.

They're useful for doing small jobs or even carrying out & about for emergency repairs but I'd couple it with an electric iron for the bigger stuff.  The pyrography looks like a fun pastime.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 5:15 pm

Yes I've seen a fellow biker using one for small repairs, and it's great for braising, I was trying to get a tiny spot of solder to a pin hole in a tank even with flux and no joy. These things avoid knocking the solder away and every blow it into place. Much more effective. Wish I'd got one years ago, more expensive overall unless they're refillable I guess but much more effective.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 6:05 pm

My previous employer had one of these: I ended up using it in the car park at lunch time to fix some bits of wiring that had come undone. Worked very well.

An electric soldering iron will always work out cheaper (you fill the above from butane cigarette lighter refill cans, I suspect) but these are good for situations where an extension lead is not an option.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 7:45 pm

And they fundamentally behave in a different way so worth the extra.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 8:11 pm

A big can of butane lighter gas to fill this was only £1.50. I imagine it should fill it about 10 times.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 6:38 am

Shut up and take my money!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 8:28 am

I only paid £20.47.. It's gone up to £33.55 now?!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 7:12 pm

I've had a Portasol iron for many years, brilliant bit of kit. Total god send when working on vehicles, you get the various size soldering tips, blow torch and hot air attachment for heat shrink, although you can use the side of the catalyst on a soldering tip for heat shrink too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:17 am