Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

slow indicators

sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

slow indicators

Post by sammythespider on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 8:59 pm

Hi everyone, when I move my indicator switch there is a period of a couple of seconds before anything happens, this is long enough to make me think the indicators have not been switched on and I try to mess with them again, late indicating means that they have not been switched on at all, not a happy situation, has anybody come across this and possibly a cure, sender unit? battery? dry contacts? The indicators come on after a couple of seconds and work perfectly after that, weird, thanks Sam
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Re: slow indicators

Post by Tricky. on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 9:50 pm

start by cleaning the switch with switch cleaner/alcohol based product (not wd40), if this doesnt cure it then change the flasher unit, i might have one you can have.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 8:38 am

I had the same annoying delay and cleaned the switch with WD40...it worked but i had to do it again the following winter as the problem started again, will try summit else if it happens again.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 9:53 am

I had the same issue, I also blamed the switch again cleaning it with wd40 did fix it for a short while but in the end it was in fact the relay that was the issue.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 2:01 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:I had the same issue, I also blamed the switch again cleaning it with wd40 did fix it for a short while but in the end it was in fact the relay that was the issue.

This is because the whole system is interconnected - if the resistance in the switch goes up then the current flowing will be lower hence the bi-metalic strip in the flasher 'relay' will take longer to heat up and bend, so the flashing period will be altered. Anyway, essentially, if you clean the switch it can only make it better, so go ahead. Mind you a new flasher relay isn't that expensive...
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 7:02 pm

These sound reasonable solutions, didn't think is was relay as it flashes just fine when it get going. Nice healthy on/off. Didn't see how a dirty switch could cause it but if cleaning switch worked for other people will try it, no rush to sort it in this weather so will get some contact cleaner and let people know the result. Thanks for peoples advice. Sam
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 8:14 pm

It usually is the flasher. I had this problem and cured it with a new flasher after not very successfully taking apart the switch gear and cleaning it. Also, a thing I have since learned is that buying an "indicator relay" seemed better than buying a "indicator flasher." The flashers I have bought have lasted a very short amount of time but an actual relay unit that clicks as the lights flash has proven to be much better. Also worth noting is that many of them are Chinese and crap out of the box. I have replaced a faulty one with a new one that didn't fix the problem. Turned out the new one was garbage.
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 8:52 pm

thanks for the info, I will replace the flasher first as it is easier to do and don't need to buy switch cleaner if it works, will see if I can get Honda part first even if it is dearer. Cheers, Sam
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 8:50 pm

Looking through flashers and realise that loads of choice but not look right, mine is square, has anyone bought a really good unit that has all the connections ready to fit that they can recommend, a digital one seems to be high quality but do they work with the old bulbs, thanks sam
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:07 pm

Just ordered one off eBay from hong kong for £2.39. When fitted should at least show me if the problem is the unit, or not, seems to be the easiest way of testing for the problem even if it only lasts a couple of days. If it works, ok, if not put old unit back, who knows? Could be the bargain of the year, but I so seriously doubt it. Sam
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

sammythespider wrote:Just ordered one off eBay from hong kong for £2.39. When fitted should at least show me if the problem is the unit, or not, seems to be the easiest way of testing for the problem even if it only lasts a couple of days. If it works, ok, if not put old unit back, who knows? Could be the bargain of the year, but I so seriously doubt it. Sam

Tricky. wrote:........ if this doesnt cure it then change the flasher unit, i might have one you can have.

hmmmm........ !!!!
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:19 pm

Appreciate the offer, if it doesn't work then will go for German direct replacement of FR-3303 on eBay. about £25 inc. postage. Only going down this route as Hong Kong one looks exactly the same as others on eBay at 4 times price, but who knows. Bought tank protector for 1p inc. postage from China last year,  thought it was a joke but sent 1p by PayPal anyway to see what happened. Turned up 3 weeks later and just as good as others at £10 so may be luck again, will report back when I get it. thanks Sam
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 12:50 pm

I'd suggest before buying more relays un-screw the two halves of the hand control and get some contact cleaner in there.

If you find the indicator button difficult to push in to cancel your signal or it doesn't always work it's normally just some dirt, this could also be why it takes a while to start.

I had the same issue which went with WD40 application, came back, cleaned and went for good with contact cleaner.

Good luck with it anyway Smile
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

Cheers for the info. Have ordered flasher and have side panel off at moment so will carry on down that route at present, if flasher unit does not solve it will do what you recommend. Thanks Sam
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Fri 03 Feb 2017, 1:33 pm

As I posted in another thread just now, I had a problem last week with a rapid clicking sound coming from the indicator relay and the indicators not working, then suddenly after a few seconds they would start working properly.

I was about to replace the relay, but then the weather warmed up this week and the problem has gone!

So, it may be a problem with the handlbar switch, but could also be the relay acting up in the very cold weather, or a combination of both.

Jim

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:31 pm