Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

forks not parallel

bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

forks not parallel

Post by bikermikey1 on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 10:32 pm

hi

hope im posting in the right section...

my forks do not appear to be inline... before taking off and sending for straightening, can someone advise me as to some checks i could carry out to see whats up? 

anything much appreciated

regards

Mikey

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: forks not parallel

Post by sullivj on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 7:15 am

Where do you think they're out of line Mikey?

They could be twisted in the yokes, set at different heights or bent. Perhaps a photo of your suspicion would help.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 7:41 am

@sullivj wrote: Perhaps a photo of your suspicion would help.

That or a photo of your suspension :)

More seriously - you need to hold a straight edge (a very straight bit of wood or a metre ruler or similar type of stick) near the suspension if you want to 'see' if they are straight, even then it is easy to be 'thrown off' and think they are bent when they are not.

Does it handle ok?

If you are really concerned then it is a lot easier to see that they are straight when you take them out of the bike - if you are going to do this it is worth replacing the fork oil at the same time.

Last edited by eternally_troubled on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

If they are just out of line in the yokes, there is a DelBoy's Garage video which explains how to true them up.
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 11:06 am

Sorry I haven't replied to anyone !! Thanks so much for replies. I am working right now so will get back to u properly later today. I'm on my phone and as I said before , it's a bit weird on here...

Take care everyone
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 5:25 pm

@sullivj wrote:Where do you think they're out of line Mikey?

They could be twisted in the yokes, set at different heights or bent. Perhaps a photo of your suspicion would help.

hi mate...

so... when i look at the forks , between the bottom yoke and the dust seals, they are not parallel.... yes i should have sorted a photo in the first place. will upload one tomorrow...

thanks for the reply
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 5:28 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@sullivj wrote: Perhaps a photo of your suspicion would help.

That or a photo of your suspension Smile

More seriously - you need to hold a straight edge (a very straight bit of wood or a metre ruler or similar type of stick) near the suspension if you want to 'see' if they are straight, even then it is easy to be 'thrown off' and think they are bent when they are not.

Does it handle ok?

If you are really concerned then it is a lot easier to see that they are straight when you take them out of the bike - if you are going to do this it is worth replacing the fork oil at the same time.

ello Smile 

thanks for the message... bike seems to handle okay, but its been winter since ive had it so ive not done any chucking about really...

one thing i do know is, the tyre squeals under heavy braking! 

yep i can take them out and get them looked at , i was just wondering if there is anything else i could have a go at first

thanks for the response Smile
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 5:28 pm

@Beresford wrote:If they are just out of line in the yokes, there is a DelBoy's Garage video which explains how to true them up.

ok i will search for his video Smile 

thanks, regards
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:14 pm

bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:15 pm

there you have it. my pics always sideways sorry...

see how the fork further away disappears near the top?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

Loosen the pinch bolts in the yokes, WHILST HAVING SOMETHING SUPPORTING THE WEIGHT OF THE BIKE TO STOP IT COLLAPSING ON YOU.
Once the fork stanchion are loose twist them and see if the front wheel moves, if they're straight there should be no movement, a bent stanchion will move the wheel.
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:32 pm

this also makes me think something is up... lol Sad
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:32 pm

@ANDYC wrote:Loosen the pinch bolts in the yokes, WHILST HAVING SOMETHING SUPPORTING THE WEIGHT OF THE BIKE TO STOP IT COLLAPSING ON YOU.
Once the fork stanchion are loose twist them and see if the front wheel moves, if they're straight there should be no movement, a bent stanchion will move the wheel.

ok i will give this a go.. thanks mate
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:41 pm

@Beresford wrote:If they are just out of line in the yokes, there is a DelBoy's Garage video which explains how to true them up.

so i went through the steps outlined in his video... no joy Sad still not good..
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:42 pm

@ANDYC wrote:Loosen the pinch bolts in the yokes, WHILST HAVING SOMETHING SUPPORTING THE WEIGHT OF THE BIKE TO STOP IT COLLAPSING ON YOU.

it was not very easy to twist the forks Andy...
bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:43 pm

i know something is up as when i do a quick stop, the wheel straightens itself up (obviously) and this movement pulls the right handlebar towards me...
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:53 pm

Pull them down out of the top yoke and see how far out of alignment they are.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:04 pm

@bikermikey1 wrote:i know something is up as when i do a quick stop, the wheel straightens itself up (obviously) and this movement pulls the right handlebar towards me...

hmmm. doesn't sound good.

As Andy said, if you slip one or other out of the top yolk and twist it you will be able to 'see' how bent they are.

TBH if you are now fairly convinced about the bent-ness you might as well prop up the front of the bike and whip the forks out - if they are only *slightly* bent there are people (here but there must be others) who can straighten them for you.

Wemoto do new ones but you won't like the price. There are ones on ebay, but you might have to take a chance on bent-ness there too.

Anyway, best of luck - I would say you could just ignore it, but from what you've said it may be past that point.

bikermikey1
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by bikermikey1 on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:17 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@bikermikey1 wrote:i know something is up as when i do a quick stop, the wheel straightens itself up (obviously) and this movement pulls the right handlebar towards me...

hmmm.  doesn't sound good.

As Andy said, if you slip one or other out of the top yolk and twist it you will be able to 'see' how bent they are.  

TBH if you are now fairly convinced about the bent-ness you might as well prop up the front of the bike and whip the forks out - if they are only *slightly* bent there are people (here but there must be others) who can straighten them for you.

Wemoto do new ones but you won't like the price.  There are ones on ebay, but you might have to take a chance on bent-ness there too.

Anyway, best of luck - I would say you could just ignore it, but from what you've said it may be past that point.

ta for the message. sorry for the late reply...

i just got my 600 back on the road so the 500 is in the garage ready to be dismantled and examined!

i will check out your link and see what we can do

thanks mate, i have been ignoring it so far... but as i have the other bike to get me around, why not look into it and get it sorted :-) 

regards

Mikey
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 7:53 pm

@bikermikey1 wrote:

thanks mate, i have been ignoring it so far... but as i have the other bike to get me around, why not look into it and get it sorted :-) 

regards

Mikey

Yes, it's a lot easier if you don't have to worry about getting it back on the road ASAP.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:52 pm