Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Digital Gear Selector....!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Digital Gear Selector....!

Post by sullivj on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:59 pm

Not exactly subtle, is it?!

Jameshambleton

Re: Digital Gear Selector....!

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:17 pm

I don't see the point in gear indicators. If you don't know what gear you're in from the revs and your current speed then you have a problem.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 1:25 am

true, although sometimes it's as simple as how is it revving...... too high, go up...... too low or need some poke go down. want to stop all the way down and half up - why bother with labels Smile
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 10:39 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:I don't see the point in gear indicators. If you don't know what gear you're in from the revs and your current speed then you have a problem.

I like when, during TT testing in 1978, mechanic Steve Wynne asked Mike Hailwood what gear he was in at a certain part of the Mallory course. Hailwood said "How many gears does it have?"
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 10:50 am

@trevor machine wrote:

@Jameshambleton wrote:I don't see the point in gear indicators. If you don't know what gear you're in from the revs and your current speed then you have a problem.

I like when, during TT testing in 1978, mechanic Steve Wynne asked Mike Hailwood what gear he was in at a certain part of the Mallory course. Hailwood said "How many gears does it have?"

haha awesome
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 1:12 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:
@trevor machine wrote:
haha awesome

Kinda like me with my cb400, not a clue if it's got 5 or 6 gears I just use the thing if the revs seems a bit high change up a gear
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 1:19 pm

The only time I've been worried about what gear I'm in is coming up to speed cameras with a broken speedo cable. If it won't go down any more I'm in first & no more up is 6th.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 8:44 pm

I have a terrible habit of looking for 7th gear... even when I know from the revs and my speed I'm in 6th I still sometimes do it just 'to be sure'! I'm the same with cancelling indicators, constantly pressing it even when I know they are off... I have a problem probably.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 8:56 pm

@ceejay wrote:I have a terrible habit of looking for 7th gear... even when I know from the revs and my speed I'm in 6th I still sometimes do it just 'to be sure'! I'm the same with cancelling indicators, constantly pressing it even when I know they are off... I have a problem probably.

And here I was thinking I was the only one!
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 9:03 pm

@ceejay wrote:I have a terrible habit of looking for 7th gear...

When the speedo and tacho needles are pointing at roughly the same "O'clock", then you're in top.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 10:24 pm

@ceejay wrote:I have a terrible habit of looking for 7th gear... even when I know from the revs and my speed I'm in 6th I still sometimes do it just 'to be sure'! I'm the same with cancelling indicators, constantly pressing it even when I know they are off... I have a problem probably.

Is that at 'motorway' speeds? When I first started riding regularly on a motorway with the CB500 I kept getting to about 70 or 80 mph and looking for that extra gear - there wasn't one :)

I generally don't know what gear I'm in; I kind of play it by ear.

That aftermarket gear sensor look quite liable to go wrong when you accidentally give it a kick with your boot.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 10:54 pm

Is that at 'motorway' speeds? When I first started riding regularly on a motorway with the CB500 I kept getting to about 70 or 80 mph and looking for that extra gear - there wasn't one Smile

yep : )

I generally don't know what gear I'm in; I kind of play it by ear.

Same!

On the opposite side of things I have twice left it in 5th at 'motorway' speeds (probably when I've sub consciously shifted down in traffic) and only noticed when it hit that surge around 8000rpm! It's not as if I feel it needs another gear though, at 6-7000 in 6th I'm probably going too fast anyway.

I don't think I'd want an gear indicator as it takes away from the simplicity of the bike with little benefit (for me at least). Simple is better sometimes for me - for example I could happily live with non-electric windows in a car because I like the simple mechanical design even though electric windows have never gone wrong in my car anyway! Maybe I am just a simple person!  Smile
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 12:58 am

I wish the CB500 was like my 1957 Ambassador...

When she's in top gear (on the RIGHT HAND SIDE), you can push the lever up against the spring, which allows the lever to travel about 15mm.

If she's not in top gear, you can feel an obvious resistance at the lever, so you know you need to pull the clutch and change again.

Imagine this on the CB... If the lever moves by 15mm, you know you're in top - SIMPLES!
dodger
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by dodger on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 11:37 am

reading this thread has made me think about something I never used to think about Very Happy
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 12:05 pm

Kicking up for seventh is getting less regular but I still do it. Have also sat on the motorway in fifth for a while in the not so distant past. Probably will again. Esp now I wear ear plugs all the time.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 7:39 pm

When I'm riding with mates on bigger bikes I sometimes look for 7th gear, we usually do the sensible thing and stick me at the front of the pack Laughing
Baddi
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Baddi on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 9:56 am

@GlenAnderson wrote:

@ceejay wrote:I have a terrible habit of looking for 7th gear...

When the speedo and tacho needles are pointing at roughly the same "O'clock", then you're in top.

I've noticed that in 2nd gear I have 100 rpm per kilometers per hour and in 6th gear I have 50 rpm per kilometers per hour.
This way, if I drive 60 km/h in 2nd gear I'm at 6000 rpm but in 6th gear I will be at 3000 rpm. 
The other gears does not end at such a rounded number. Very Happy 

That said, the only thing I might use a gear indicator for is to know if I hit 3rd or 2nd gear when I'm decellerating towards a red light and it then turns green again so that I have to accelerate. Some times I end at very high rpm compared to how fast I should accelerate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:16 pm