You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

CB500 Adventure Style

drunkensailor59

CB500 Adventure Style

Post by drunkensailor59 on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 12:51 am

Hello, just joined the forum. I've had my 02 500 for about 6 months now, I picked up a model with 7500 miles on her. Before buying, I was interested in one of the new CB500Xs, and had one out for a spin. Although it's not a true adventure bike, a company called Rally Raid do a conversion kit to turn the CB500x into a real adventure bike, some of you may have seen or heard of it.

Long winded intro, but I was wondering if anyone here had any success in modding their older 500s into an adventure style bike? I'm thinking extended shocks and springs, some spoked wheels, knobbly tyres etc? It's a project I might consider with my own, if anyone has any tips.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: CB500 Adventure Style

Post by sullivj on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 7:24 am

I've not seen it done before, but that's not a good reason not to try. 

Most people who decide on making a custom project, seem to get so fed up with it, that they never finish!

It sounds like you have a nice low mileage example. Why not just enjoy it as is is for a while.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 1:14 pm

Why not?  People (AndyC and probably others) have put other front ends on the CB500 for more track/speed reasons, so I don't see why you couldn't put longer forks in for off road work - it's just a matter of finding some of the right diameter.  It also shouldn't be a problem to buy longer travel shocks for the rear, it just might cost a bit if you have to get them made to order (thought it will probably be less than a CB500X!).

You might also want to look into different wheels if you were really thinking of taking it off the beaten track, but you don't need to do that immediately, some tyres like these (for example):

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/pirelli/mt21-rallycross/130-90--17-tt-68-p.html

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/pirelli/mt60/110-90--17-tt-60-p.html

will fit to the existing rims and are rather more knobbly than the standard ones (you would need to take note of the lower speed rating of these tyres - 93 mph).  By the way you really should shop around - I just did a quick search to see what might fit.

I suspect if you did fit the above tyres you might need to remove/move up the front mudguard to make them fit (but then, you'll be getting new forks anyway, so this probably doesn't matter).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:16 pm