You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

If I buy a CBF500 am I still allowed on here?

Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

If I buy a CBF500 am I still allowed on here?

Post by Taurus on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 9:06 am

Oh dear - I missed a mint low mileage CB500 because I was away working. And then I've seen a bike that ticks all the boxes, except it's a CBF (2006)

It's almost the same.

Am I still allowed on here with it?

(I hope so because whilst it's in decent condition it needs some tlc and some more major service items taking care of.)
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: If I buy a CBF500 am I still allowed on here?

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 9:50 am

Yes, of course you are!

The CBF shares an engine with the CB500, some other bits are different Smile Ultimately it is a similar tool for a similar job.

The main downside with the CBF is that you lose the handy underseat storage you get on the CB.
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 11:27 am

Hurrah!

I'd forgotten about the underseat storage, I don't recall ever using it as I always have a top box.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 5:34 pm

Of course you're welcome, a bike is a bike and we love the banter!
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 5:51 pm

Cheers. So a bit about the bike and my plans...

It's a CBF500 2006. The things I need are fitted - a decent top box and a centre stand. The reason for the centre stand is partly for maintenance (to save the hassle of paddocks) and also because I need to squeeze the bike alongside my 1971 Viva in the garage. I've been using a block of wood under the side stand so far and that's a bit of a pain.

It also has a Datatool alarm, not sure if it's System 3 (with immobiliser) or 21 (without). I will check when it arrives. The internal battery on it is probably shot by now so I'll have to see how the alarm goes. I might replace it pretty soon.

I found it in a dealers over in Yorkshire, seem decent folks, for the price (£1495) they're replacing the chain and sprockets, oil change, rear pads, replacing the rear tyre and a cracked indicator. And delivering it to my home address.

It's done 22,700 and seems to have had a basic annual service at MOT time. I'm guessing it's not had much by way of coolant changes or valve clearances, so I want to do them when it arrives. A bike never feels like it's mine until I've taken it to bits.

It's not perfect, there are some scratches here and there, but if it was perfect I'd be reluctant to ride it through the winter. I'll touch up a few rust patches but nothing major. The centre stand needs repainting. The rear shock is spotless, whether that means it's been replaced or is just a good quality original I'll see.

I'm always a bit nervous when buying things, but hopefully it will be a good reliable steed.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 7:11 pm

@Taurus wrote:Cheers. So a bit about the bike and my plans...

It's a CBF500 2006. The things I need are fitted - a decent top box and a centre stand. The reason for the centre stand is partly for maintenance (to save the hassle of paddocks) and also because I need to squeeze the bike alongside my 1971 Viva in the garage. I've been using a block of wood under the side stand so far and that's a bit of a pain.

It also has a Datatool alarm, not sure if it's System 3 (with immobiliser) or 21 (without). I will check when it arrives. The internal battery on it is probably shot by now so I'll have to see how the alarm goes. I might replace it pretty soon.

I found it in a dealers over in Yorkshire, seem decent folks, for the price (£1495) they're replacing the chain and sprockets, oil change, rear pads, replacing the rear tyre and a cracked indicator. And delivering it to my home address.

It's done 22,700 and seems to have had a basic annual service at MOT time. I'm guessing it's not had much by way of coolant changes or valve clearances, so I want to do them when it arrives. A bike never feels like it's mine until I've taken it to bits.

It's not perfect, there are some scratches here and there, but if it was perfect I'd be reluctant to ride it through the winter. I'll touch up a few rust patches but nothing major. The centre stand needs repainting. The rear shock is spotless, whether that means it's been replaced or is just a good quality original I'll see.

I'm always a bit nervous when buying things, but hopefully it will be a good reliable steed.

Did you get it from miles kingsport in Hull, they had one in a couple of weeks back.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 7:15 pm

I had a datatool system 3 on the fireblade... i by passed it... good luck with the new bike
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 7:22 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:Of course you're welcome, a bike is a bike and we love the banter!

as above, couldnt of said it better myself  Very Happy
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 7:35 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

Did you get it from miles kingsport in Hull, they had one in a couple of weeks back.

No - it was Blazing Motorcycles in Keighley.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 8:08 pm

I always liked the Viva. Best gear change of any car - ever !!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 8:24 pm

@Taurus wrote:

Does 'replace' mean remove? :)

Personally I'd be getting the datatool off the bike ASAP, you don't want it immobilising you in the middle of nowhere!

I think the only type of alarm worth having is either one of those ones that just flashes an LED (i.e. a fake one) or (if you really want an alarm) one of the cheap motion activated siren alarms - at least that might wake you up in the middle of the night when some scrote is wheeling your bike off. I'm not really convinced about after-market immobilisers - they seem to go wrong (and make your bike's wiring loom go wrong) too often.
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 9:40 pm

I suspect that's rather good advice. I've downloaded a few articles about how they are wired in, it doesn't sound that complicated to remove. I'd hate it to leave me stuck somewhere in the cold and wet.

I'll have to take a look at the wiring when it arrives. 

My first bike got wheeled away, I spotted the guy on it a few days later and gave chase on my trusty push iron. He made the mistake of fleeing downhill which gave me a fighting chance. Then he panicked and crashed it headlong into a tree. It was probably a write off already but that finished it off for sure.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 10:13 pm

I think probably the best vehicle immobiliser is one with big drooling teeth and eats pedigree chum  Twisted Evil
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 10:39 pm

A big dog& or a good shotgun, my fireblade is 96 model, and datatool 3 alarm is of that vintage too, i saw on the internet how to buy pass the alarm without removing it...i wont go into much detail because of obvious reasons...but all is disconnected... is the fuse to alarm.. all i will say is 20mins and alarm be back up and running.... fireblade stopped on me twice and... it was cause of three things (1) alarm(2)corrison in wiring(3) regulator was on its way out too which was same as original supplied in cb...both of which are changed to better ones...if taurus want to pm me if he has trouble with alarm i tell him....
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 11:12 pm

Ahem, you have PM.

Thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:04 am

@Taurus wrote:
My first bike got wheeled away, I spotted the guy on it a few days later and gave chase on my trusty push iron. He made the mistake of fleeing downhill which gave me a fighting chance. Then he panicked and crashed it headlong into a tree. It was probably a write off already but that finished it off for sure.

Good on you for giving chase, shame about the bike. Did you manage to get the insurance to pay out?
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 1:02 pm

The insurance was a bit of a lark. I dragged the wreckage home and put in the garage. The assessor took one look and wrote it off and they paid out a fair sum for it. 

Then they forgot about it so it stayed in my garage. I kept ringing them to ask them to take it away and nothing ever happened. 

After about 6 months I wrote them a letter with an invoice, one month's storage free of charge, then five month's storage at the going rate (I asked a local breaker what they charged - can't remember what it came to now.) About a week later I got a cheque for the five month's storage and then they came and took it away.

I reckon whoever opened the letter found it easier simply to process the payment than argue about it.
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Wed 16 Nov 2016, 3:32 pm

It's arrived  Very Happy

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 16 Nov 2016, 8:42 pm

Looks clean best luck with it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 7:46 pm