Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

what - if anything - are you doing to 'winter proof' your cb500?

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

what - if anything - are you doing to 'winter proof' your cb500?

Post by trevor machine on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 7:18 pm

ACF50? Wax Oyl? What're some of your preferred treatments and why? I ask cos I've started to see signs of salt/grit around town.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: what - if anything - are you doing to 'winter proof' your cb500?

Post by sullivj on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 7:23 pm

Wash, Dry, Polish, Cover wheels, Tank off, rear fairings off, then ACF50 spayed from a parrafin gun, linked to the compressor.

Apply ACF50 to the wheels with a cloth avoiding the discs and pads.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 7:34 pm

Thick aran pullover and maybe cotton jammies under the leathers, oh........
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 7:42 pm

If I do much riding during the winter (I normally would, but at my current rate of employment I might not be!) then, if I'm feeling dedicated, I might slosh a bit of cold water over it to try and remove the worst of the salt. But then, my bike isn't mint in the summer just after it's been washed...

Suffice to say ACF50 (applied as suggested by sullivj) would be a good plan if your bike currently looks nice. If you haven't got a compressor still buy the stuff in a bottle and apply it carefully with a pump spray from the garden centre - it's a little easier to control than the aerosol can.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 7:57 pm

but be very careful. Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of a bloke writing his bike off when he cleans it all sparkly, but omits to remove the waxes etc from the brakes before setting bravely out to show off his magnificent steed. There was a loud whack preceded by a shriek of "why don't you stop you b*****d".
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 8:04 pm

Scottoiler on prime setting, hoodie/fleece top, neck scarf. Changing back to bt45 tyres for the front and rear. 
Cleaning the front caliper once every week and a weekly wash with the pressure washer and using a 50/50 mix of TFR to remove excess oil from my rear wheel.
dodger
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by dodger on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 9:39 pm

took all the bodywork off a couple of weeks ago , good covering of ACF , all electrical block connectors pumped with waterproof silicone a couple of years ago ,rechecked and topped up where required ,I know there ugly but my Handle bar muffs re-fitted ,scott oiler turned up  and errr just keep riding !!!!!!!!!!!!!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 3:00 am

I bought the cheapest pot of grease I could find, put a very large blob in an old chinese take away container and added some used engine oil to make a paint-like substance. This was painted on to swing arm, especially - ditto shocks. Also under sump, and onto any fasteners I could find. Basically the bike is covered in this vile concoction - made worse by the odd piece of chow mein.

But yeah - a few hundred miles later, the bike looks like it served on the eastern front during the latter stages of operation barbarossa. The unguent I applied is like a fly paper for every particle of grit and crud. So not too sure if this is gonna work. Cautiously optimistic is the best I can muster.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 7:39 am

Laughing Laughing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 8:47 am

trevor machine wrote:I bought the cheapest pot of grease I could find, put a very large blob in an old chinese take away container and added some used engine oil to make a paint-like substance. This was painted on to swing arm, especially - ditto shocks. Also under sump, and onto any fasteners I could find. Basically the bike is covered in this vile concoction - made worse by the odd piece of chow mein.

But yeah - a few hundred miles later, the bike looks like it served on the eastern front during the latter stages of operation barbarossa. The unguent I applied is like a fly paper for every particle of grit and crud. So not too sure if this is gonna work. Cautiously optimistic is the best I can muster.

As long as it stays stuck on it will certainly help. You may need to reapply mid-winter for full protection (though this is no different from ACF50, other than the price).

As an aside, other people slosh waxoyl on bits of their bike in winter - this is good (it doesn't come off) but it is slightly harder to clean off in the spring (need to use paraffin or meths to soften it up).
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

Yeah waxoyl - not bad, that stuff. Better if you scoop a big dollop out and leave it to dry i.e. thus thicken, over a few months in the summer. Then when you come to it in the late autumn it's suitably more glutinous - almost solid, in fact. But to be honest, I'm not sure it's actually any more durable nor effective than plain old grease.

Rather, the advantages of a wax oil type substance is that it can be sprayed (albeit under decent pressure) - and thus used to treat larger surface areas such as those of cars, vans and trucks etc. However, a relatively small area like that of your average bike, well, you might as well actually just use common-or-garden grease. Price-wise it won't make much difference. Smother it on dollop by dollop. It's much thicker than wax oil - even when left to thicken in an open container over summer - and will therefore withstand bombarding spray from wheels and rain etc. But yeah - it won't be particularly easy to remove come more clement seasons. That doesn't particularly bother me though - my main priority is a bike that's not corroding. I don't really care about the cosmetic niceties. The CB500 isn't really that kind of bike, imo. I know there's a race series but to my mind it's more of a utilitarian breed.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:09 pm

After all these years, my preparation for this winter is to leave it in the garage! Very Happy
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 3:08 pm

You won't really get an argument from me. I don't commute - and even if I did, I'd only take the bike on bright, clear days. As is, I'll probably go out two or three times a week from now until spring - the bike will see muddy lanes and damp/wet roads - but it won't see any rain unless I'm caught out. But even with this comparatively light usage, I still feel like I should give it a bit of a coating of something or other.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 3:26 pm

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 5:27 pm

Yeah might get that - but I'm such a tightwad that my cheapass grease and used oil concoction costs a tenth of that. And I also think it's very nearly as effective. Also, I think - as unsightly as it is - you can tell when it's still on the bike whereas with ACF50 it can be harder to tell.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 1:09 pm

Quick question:

Which do you think is better - ACF50 or Scotoiler FS 365?

Jim

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 1:22 pm

ACF 50.

I have an also heard good things about XCP 60, but I've not yet been convinced to change from ACF 50

http://xcp-protection.com/products/xcp-rust-blocker/
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 4:26 pm

scottoiler 365 is water soluble so next time it rains you lose the coverage. I use it during the winter as ACFing your bike is a proper job with tank off etc. When i finish riding in the wet, I hose the bike down to get the road crap/salt off then quick spray with the scottoiler. Its does a decent job but needs reapplied every time.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 6:25 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I guess it would be a fair job to at least get ACF50 on those parts that can be reached even without taking the tank off, especially if I take the side panels off and make sure I concentrate on areas at the lower front of the bike/engine. and the rear swingarm etc.

Jim
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 8:39 pm

That raises an interesting question about what, precisely, are the most prone - and thus most important to protect - areas/parts of the bike. My top five might look like this - from most vulnerable to less (but still pretty damn) vulnerable:

1). Rear shocks - chromed, for one thing. But also, reaching the upper ends of them, obscured as they are by the rear tail cowl. Quite tricky to get to and seem the most corrosion-prone single part of the bike - regularly see rusty areas on cb500s for sale.

2). Swing arm - obviously exposed due to proximity to rear wheel. Those models with a lipped swing arm seem most prone to corrosion. Also, getting adequate protection to the underneath is a bit of a faff - and then there's the part under the chain slider. Hopefully a regularly and well-lubricated chain means there's fling there. Certainly this will help protect the near side of the swinging arm - but the off-side is a different story and shouldn't be neglected.

3). Header pipes - even given a coating of HT paint these can soon suffer. First, get a "fender extender" front mudguard lengthener - and if possible add another few inches by fashioning an extension for the extender. The bike will need it because the stock mudguard is so pathetic. So once this is done you're halfway there. But it's not much use to add ACF50 or any other substance because of course it will just burn off. So then - these are always vulnerable. Don't hesitate to get a mouldy old towel on them once you're home and back in the garage, then a wipe with a very oily rag. And keep an eye on the header bolts. Dab some old engine oil on them every now and again.

4). Front forks - some bikes have quite scabby ones so again don't shirk from wiping them off once back in the garage. And also, put some grease on the underside of the top yoke.

5). Break callipers - exposed and always ready to take offence at the first sign of neglect or brine.

Other parts to keep an eye on - front light (open it up and they're often quite corroded. Also, fan - hard to get to, it housing often rots clean away. Get an aerosol type grease with a straw and aim jets at the bastard. Third - the sides of the radiator and the wire leading to the near-side half.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 8:50 pm

Id like to add engine mourning bolts to the list. Lots of people have had issues trying to get rusted ones out.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 9:51 pm

good one

also - centre stand; obviously going to get it in the face down there. Again though - a well-lubed chain definitely helps to keep a goodly portion of it covered in an corrosion-resistant oily film. Don't skimp on the EP90!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 11 Nov 2016, 8:36 am

sullivj wrote:Id like to add engine mourning bolts to the list. Lots of people have had issues trying to get rusted ones out.

True, though the main problem is with the mounting bolt sticking in the engine casting, rather than the ends rusting.  I would suggest that (if you can) as part of your annual winter maintenance regime that it is worth taking the bolt out, cleaning it up and give it a good lube - it will never cause a problem if you do this every year.  The problem will also be helped by the extended mudguard talked of above.

My front engine mounting bolt is completely stuck because I didn't realise that it was a problem waiting to happen - at some point pain, heat and swearing will be required to remove it.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 11 Nov 2016, 8:55 am

eternally_troubled wrote:
  I would suggest that (if you can) as part of your annual winter maintenance regime that it is worth taking the bolt out, cleaning it up and give it a good lube - it will never cause a problem if you do this every year.

I do.  Make sure you support the engine with a jack when you do this.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 11 Nov 2016, 3:11 pm

sullivj wrote:
eternally_troubled wrote:
  I would suggest that (if you can) as part of your annual winter maintenance regime that it is worth taking the bolt out, cleaning it up and give it a good lube - it will never cause a problem if you do this every year.

I do.  Make sure you support the engine with a jack when you do this.

I suspected you did, it was everyone else that I was thinking of :)

Good tip, I suspect that it's quite hard to get back in otherwise!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:16 am