You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hello

Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Hello

Post by Taurus on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 7:11 pm

I had a CB500 back in the early 90's, a rear drum brake version, absolutely brilliant bike that took me everywhere. Sadly I had to sell it when our daughters needed a car to learn to drive in. So I've been stuck in a tin box for a while - but now they've moved out I'm back on two wheels again.

I've been riding a 125 to build my no claims and getting back into riding again. But it's wearing me down how slow it is so I'm looking for something a bit more capable.

I'm taking a serious look at the current range of CB500 bikes. I really like the looks of the new x version, but the f would do me just as well. However, I've come across a 1998 bike which looks to be in really good condition. The same guy has run it for the past 16 years and done just 10k on it. From the photos it looks as though he's maintained it meticulously. I am hoping to see it tomorrow.

Just worth asking since it's several years since I sold mine, what are parts like for them these days? I'd prefer the older bike as I like the style and it's a more powerful engine than the modern versions. But does it make sense to buy an 18 year old bike even if it is in good nick?

Or does the newer (& less powerful) model still have the same capability?

Cheers

Paul.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Hello

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 7:47 pm

Ive a 97 cb paul, its condition not age...if that guy had it that long he must have looked after it ,now from 96 on the cb was built in italy so build quality went down a bit...  all cbs rust a bit as there used regularly in wet weather , if a bike was left up for long time... if it was not put away correctly like draining carbs... and tank become rusty....its usual things like pitted forks blown seals, knackered chain& sprokets and old tyres old leaking radiators and wornout rear shocks...but there simple bikes to work on in general and parts are not too bad....i buy an other cb no probs but they dont last long for sale.... looks at those parts on  it l mentioned and adjust your offer price if parts need replacing...hope this helps
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 7:51 pm

Hello!

Most of us have the 'old' CB500 (1993 - 2001 type), so we might be a bit biassed :)

However, GlenAnderson went over to the dark side and got a 'new' CB500 - have a read hear about what he thinks:

http://www.cb500club.net/t4862-has-anyone-here-ridden-one-of-the-current-cbr500r-or-cb500f-models

Parts availability for 'our' CB500 (93-01) is not problem - firstly not too much goes seriously wrong (as you probably know) and currently there are quite a few being broken (look on ebay), so bits from them are available. From experience with other old bikes I know this will change at some point, however there were quite a few CB500 made over the eight years of production so I don't think this will get too bad any time soon.

As far as consumables are concerned have a look at wemoto (for example):

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_v/97-98/

Personally, assuming the '98 bike seems ok, I would go for it - it will be cheaper than the 'new' bike and will hold its value (if you look after it) better (it has already depreciated!). It will be a bit less annoying if you drop it...

Anyway, good luck making your mind up!

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:14 pm

So you had a CB500 back in the early 90's and now you're reconsidering one, it proves that it was a good bike as 1. you remembered it 2. you're considering another one. You already know what the bike is and how it works and how it handles soo why not?

(I'm totally not bias as I'm the most unluckiest person on the forum with a cb500) I have 3 other bikes other than my cb500 and well I could easily part with the others but my cb500 won't be for sale for ever.

I've also noticed prices for these are heading up in value again. I know that if I did 15k miles a year on a brand new bike like what I do on my bike I'd lose so much money, but since my bike is old like everyone elses it doesn't really make much (if any) difference

Last edited by Jameshambleton on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:15 pm

Thanks, that's confirmed what I was thinking. I'll make the journey tomorrow and hope it is as good as it looks on the photos. I'll update when I've been.
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:25 pm

Blast, just checked and whilst it was there an hour ago it seems to have disappeared. Looks like I'm too late.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:46 pm

@Taurus wrote:Blast, just checked and whilst it was there an hour ago it seems to have disappeared. Looks like I'm too late.

Any chance of a link also message the seller and let him know that you're interested in the bike if the sale falls through
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 9:21 pm

The link has gone so I can't share it. Annoyingly I saw it last Tuesday late on but he was closed on Wednesday, then I was working Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I tried today but he was closed..

He has a CBF 500 in with 26k on it. It might worth a gander. I really liked the CB though.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 9:25 pm

Another one will appear, don't loose hope!
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 10:56 pm

I think around this time of year they will get snapped up quick as people put their 'nice' bike the garage or sell their hyper rocket and buy something that copes with wet leaves on the road a bit better!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 6:23 am

Good ones sell REALLY quickly. I've seen them go within the first few hours on eBay.

Another one will come up - just be ready to send a PayPal deposit as soon as it does.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 7:44 am

Loads are getting snapped up by racers at the moment, one of the lads just bought 4 cb500's to convert Sad
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 3:45 pm

Hi Taurus my 99 model is still for sale if you are interested, there are photos of it in the first ride write up I did Smile
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 4:20 pm

@skyrider wrote:Hi Taurus my 99 model is still for sale if you are interested, there are photos of it in the first ride write up I did Smile

Any chance you can point me to where the write up is please, I'm have a bit of trouble navigating my way around this place. It's a different format from what I'm used to.

Any if you've got any details please.

Thanks
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 4:24 pm

Welcome Paul!
It'll be well worth getting the '90's CB500, they are bullet proof as long as you change the oil Smile
I'll have had mine for 19 years in March!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

Hi Taurus yes its in the general section and I posted it on 23/6/16 (first ride) and you will see what new parts I have put on it. and see if you like it I will take a genuine offer
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 7:02 pm

if you go on the general section at the bottom of the page there is a little search box on the left hand side If you type in first ride a page should come up with similar stuff on it, I think mine is the third one down for some photos, it has had new coolant, new wheel bearings , new disc pads, a delkevik road legal stainless silencer with baffle , renthal handlebars, new sub air filter and I replaced the rubber rings at the top of the rear shocks, and just before I got the bike the previous owner replaced the plugs oil and filters, and with the bike is the standard black silencer the chrome handlebars and a smoked puig screen , it has an mot till 11/7/17 a handbook and some service history.
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 7:16 pm

OK - thanks. I found the thread with the photos. It looks a bit non-standard in terms of the paintwork so what's the story behind the bike? 

What colour was it originally and why the need to repaint it.

Are the mirrors still on the original bars?

Also be handy to know the mileage, number of owners, etc.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 9:33 pm

yes it was originally in the Honda red with the decals but it was a bit tired (scratched )etc when I first got the bike the seat fairing and the front mudguard were cracked beyond repair so I saw a mudguard and the two side panels  on ebay that were from a bike shop in Ireland and from the same bike and someone on this site was selling the seat fairing so I sprayed them in ford radient red along with the tank, and yes it does have matching mirrors, the mileage is sixty six thousand and  six hundred miles, and seven owners I also bought the rack off a club member too
Taurus
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Taurus on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 11:59 am

I'm afraid it's not really what I'm after. I have a thing about keeping things as original as possible, comes from restoring classic cars. Thanks anyway - good luck with the sale.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 6:37 pm

ok thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:23 am