Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front fork question?

skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Front fork question?

Post by skyerae on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 5:01 pm

I have taken off my front forks to replace leaking seals and have overhauled the most leaky shock (the right) and it is back on the bike. Last week I stripped the other shock, cleaned most parts and left the rest to this weekend. I have noticed that where I think the top bush (telfon coated on the inside) sits in the fork slider there are bad (vertical) ridges. It looks like grit has got stuck inside the recess and scratched the recess then it was pulled out, but the teflon coating on the bush is in perfect condition? What gives and do I need to replace this fork? If it was where the seal sits I know I would have to replace the shock as it would start leaking but worried that I will score the top bush if I press it into the scored recess. Any advice would be appreciated, I have overhauled hydraulic rams but all the ones I worked on didn't have any bushes? Thanks in anticipation................!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Front fork question?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 6:24 pm

Did you replace the bushes on the right hand fork? If so, you should probably replace the ones on the other side.... or at least, that would be what the book said.
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm

No, the bushes on the right hand side were still good, like the left hand side ones. There were slight marks on the bottom bush (right hand side) but not through the teflon so thought that it wouldn't be an issue. If the forks ever need redoing (they have lasted 22 years this first round) I will most likely replace them then, but will have a look then if I still have the bike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:02 pm