Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Oval Motorcycle Centre - Highly Recommended!

jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Oval Motorcycle Centre - Highly Recommended!

Post by jimbobs63 on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 3:27 pm

Hello,

I don't have by CB500 any more, but still like to return to this forum once in a while to catch up.  I thought I'd just let you know of my experience taking my 600 Hornet to the Oval Motorcycle Centre where you can hire bench time to do your own servicing / repairs using their tools/kit.

I booked some bench time today to replace the chain and sprockets on my bike, and I have to say that it was great!  Of course being my first time there it probably took me twice as long as it would normally, but hey, I've gotta learn....

I would highly recommend using them if like me you want to do at least some of your own servicing and repairs, but you don't have the facilities at home like a fully kitted garage!

Of course it helps that I live not far away in SW London as well....

I also had the chance whilst I was there to chat with some other customers who had popped in to work on their bikes - from a ex-race Honda 400R having new bodywork put on, to a Harley Davidson with no less than two reverse gears!

All in all a great experience - I'll definitely go back.

Jim
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: Oval Motorcycle Centre - Highly Recommended!

Post by trevor machine on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 4:11 pm

Yeah sounds ace - not sure there's owt like that north of watford though.

Got any more stuff to tell about the Hornet? How's it feeling compared to the 500?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 4:18 pm

Is it the s version hornet you bought with the top fairing , or naked..how do you find it compared to cb, i was looking a a tatty uk import s version hornet today... i think it was 02 model,  stil keepin cb though
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 10:59 am

Good morning,

Yes I have the S version with the fairing, whilst my old CB500 was unfaired.  So it's probably a bit unfair to directly compare them (sorry for the pun!)

However, the Hornet is a lot smoother engine-wise, especially at lower revs, and of course it has that extra horsepower that kicks in just like the 500 at above around 7-8k - but a lot more!

The handling is good once you get used to the fact it's simply different to the 500. and with the Bridgestone tyres fitted it certainly feels very secure on the road, both in a straight line and round corners.

The seat has more of a slope to it from back to front which tends to push you forward a little bit more onto the bars - however perversely I find it more comfortable in relation to the position of my feet on the pegs.  That might just be my particular body shape/size fitting the Hornet better than the 500.

The only two things I am not so sure about are the front brakes/suspension, and a clutch/gearbox rumble whilst travelling along.

The brakes have been purposefully set as rather soft as standard by Honda, because apparently they fear that newbies grabbing a handful of double front disk brakes might hurt themselves.  I have been told that braided pipes and sintered pads improves the situation - I have already got sintered pads.  I have to say that once you get past the more progressive nature of the brakes and decide you do want to grab a handful to stop quickly, they certainly do the job!

The front forks are quite soft/spongy but aren't adjustable.  Again I have been told that using a different fork oil coupled with more progressive springs would solve this issue.

The suspension certainly doesn't affect the handling unless you are really thrashing it, which I would never do.

Not sure whether the gearbox/clutch rumble is serious or not - time will tell, I guess.  I am pretty sure it's not just clutch basket.

So there you go.

Jim

Last edited by jimbobs63 on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 11:45 am

I had two cbr 600 f2's gearbox notchy and clutch rattle nothing new.... also they use to give out about front brakes on cbr 600 too,
The 100 mile tank range is not too great(on hornet 600)so i hear Neutral
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 3:08 pm

Yeah, tank range is not good.  I get to around 90-100 miles around town before reserve, and I don't thrash it!  It's only 13 litres plus 3 reserve.

Jim
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

Thats good to know jim, thats why its best to hear it from owners of  the bikes and not from guys testing them on you tube that do not own them and just giving  a review for a magazine... also be aware that faulty reg /regulator thats in hornet be same as cb and in my old cbr 600's that i had and also in my 96 blade....they fit all of them so there not best unless uprated
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 6:16 pm

jimbobs63 wrote:Yeah, tank range is not good.  I get to around 90-100 miles around town before reserve, and I don't thrash it!  It's only 13 litres plus 3 reserve.

Jim

You can say that again: that's 34 mpg!

My 2 litre 1988 Saab 900 gets about 28 mpg (ish) (for an amusing comparison).

Nice to see you popping into the forum - we obviously can't be that bad! :)
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 7:16 pm

34 mpg thats pretty poor for a bike i know that hornet has a small petrol tank,and it was also detuned from standard cbr 600f where engine came from(has smaller carbs & different cams) for more mid range power..?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:22 pm

Track it on fuelly as I'm sure you'll be getting more than that surely?
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:42 pm

I must have the numbers wrong - last time I filled up I only put in 8 litres and I had done 80 miles, and the time before that its was 70 miles and 7 litres, so I am doing about 45mpg.

I'll be filling up in the morning having done almost 100 miles this time - I'll let you know how many litres goes in.

Jim
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 8:53 pm

I was looking at a bike mag from 07 they did a story on 98 hornet 600 , and old guy in it had 109,792 miles on hornet engine had never been opened, valves never checked even...was still fine...also he used castrol magnatec car engine oil in it... anyway he got 195miles to tank sticking to speed limits but its been known if trashed 75 miles to tank!
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 11:38 am

OK,

I got to 95 miles and had to switch to reserve.  The spec for the 1998-2002 Hornet is that the tank is 13 litres + 3 litres reserve = 16 litres total.

This morning I filled up at 96 miles done, but could only put just 10 litres in before I reached the neck of the filler cap. Now, my Hornet only has a side stand (which is as standard), and therefore I can only get a max of 13 litres into the tank including reserve.  Hence the crappy range figures!

So the quoted 16 litres would only be acheivable if you had a centre stand which is not standard!

But at least I can confirm that I am getting near to 10 miles per litre/40-45 mpg around town, which is not that different from my old CB500 which was 45mpg around town.

Jim
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 11:51 am

jimbobs63 wrote:OK,

I got to 95 miles and had to switch to reserve.  The spec for the 1998-2002 Hornet is that the tank is 13 litres + 3 litres reserve = 16 litres total.

This morning I filled up at 96 miles done, but could only put just 10 litres in before I reached the neck of the filler cap. Now, my Hornet only has a side stand (which is as standard), and therefore I can only get a max of 13 litres into the tank including reserve.  Hence the crappy range figures!

So the quoted 16 litres would only be acheivable if you had a centre stand which is not standard!

But at least I can confirm that I am getting near to 10 miles per litre/40-45 mpg around town, which is not that different from my old CB500 which was 45mpg around town.

Jim

45 mpg sounds a lot better! I did think that 30 mpg sounded a bit steep, even for a Hornet. 10 miles per litre is also what I get on my CB500 while filtering through town.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 1:19 pm

Yeah 30mpg is VTR thou territory.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 6:58 pm

Yes i know about the small petrol tank on older version hornets.... i see in new year if i buy an older hornet...with xmas looming and my van failed its mot... theres no cash at mo,
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:24 pm

Jim could u not sit on the bike and keep it level and open tank and put petrol in thats  what i do with cb as i find not easy to put  cb on its on centre stand....i only use it lubing chain and checkin rear tyre
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:37 pm

The problem with filling the tank with the bike level is that when you then park it on the side stand, the petrol will leak out from the filler.  That happened to me once on my CB500.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 10:01 am

jimbobs63 wrote:The problem with filling the tank with the bike level is that when you then park it on the side stand, the petrol will leak out from the filler.  That happened to me once on my CB500.

Only if you go too far. On *most* bikes (and I would have thought *all* Hondas) you should be able to safely fill it up when horizontal to the bottom of the 'basket' thing that you can see if you look through the filler hole.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 10:19 am

I tend to underfill on the sidestand in day to day usage as my commute isn't long enough & I dislike trusting the filler cap seal when it's submerged.  I brim it if going on a long trip though to get the full milage beteeen refills.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 10:40 am

When I almost ran out of fuel (how I didn't I don't know) but when I filled up the tank as much as I could on the side stand I filled up 18.019 litres. Now the tanks capacity is officially 18 litres so take what you will from that information.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:45 pm