Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

baffling question

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

baffling question

Post by trevor machine on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 6:40 pm

Do the bikes that the riders use in races like the Thundersport competitions have to run with some sort of baffle in the exhausts or can they use more straight through set ups? If the former, I imagine it would sound fairly ace with a couple of dozen cb500s getting caned half to death round Mallory or Cadwell.
Jameshambleton

Re: baffling question

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 7:09 pm

Some run baffles others don't. 

Here is what the official regulation for 2016 (the season that has now ended)

8.0 Silencers and Exhaust Systems
 8.1 The silencers may be changed.
 8.2 The exhaust may exit on either side of the machine, or under the seat unit. The noise output must be within the 105db limit at all times, including post race controls. 
8.3 The bore of the header pipes must not be greater than 38mm & must remain a constant diameter.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 7:23 pm

Informative! So basically it's all about that figure of 105db, really.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 8:43 pm

Yup, also are you going to Squires for 8:30 tomorrow for the Garden Of Remembrance Ride?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 9:01 pm

No - family commitments. Wonder if the weather will hold? Sunday looks like the better day over this way, at least.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 10:00 pm

Does anyone know a good reason why they almost all seem to have gone for a left side exit rather than right. My guess was better clearance but tracks are predominantly anti-clockwise so scrap that idea. None of the road down pipes exit on the left as far as I know.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 10:09 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Does anyone know a good reason why they almost all seem to have gone for a left side exit rather than right. My guess was better clearance but tracks are predominantly anti-clockwise so scrap that idea. None of the road down pipes exit on the left as far as I know.

easier access to the rear caliper hanger for putting the wheel in at a guess
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:15 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Does anyone know a good reason why they almost all seem to have gone for a left side exit rather than right. My guess was better clearance but tracks are predominantly anti-clockwise so scrap that idea. None of the road down pipes exit on the left as far as I know.

you are exactly right in you thought about ground clearance, but uk circuits are mostly clockwise, not anti-clockwise, as far as i know only rockingham and blyton are anti-clockwise.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 9:36 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Yup, also are you going to Squires for 8:30 tomorrow for the Garden Of Remembrance Ride?

My IAM mate told me there was a bad accident in Sherburn about 9:00-ish this morning - some 50 riders clustered around the main junction on the high street, traffic stopped, one guy in the recovery position in the road. Yorkshire MC on the way to the Garden - although god knows what went wrong. Certainly didn't get very far - barely two miles along. There was shenanigans earlier down at Squires as well apparently - with some ahem exuberant riding etc. etc. Probably trying to rile the IAM grandads. ; - )
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 9:16 am

@trevor machine wrote:

@Jameshambleton wrote:Yup, also are you going to Squires for 8:30 tomorrow for the Garden Of Remembrance Ride?

My IAM mate told me there was a bad accident in Sherburn about 9:00-ish this morning - some 50 riders clustered around the main junction on the high street, traffic stopped, one guy in the recovery position in the road. Yorkshire MC on the way to the Garden - although god knows what went wrong. Certainly didn't get very far - barely two miles along. There was shenanigans earlier down at Squires as well apparently - with some ahem exuberant riding etc. etc. Probably trying to rile the IAM grandads. ; - )
I wasn't actually going to post anything about this but since you know half the story I might as well give the rest, funny enough I was there. I arrived late so can't comment for stuff before we set off. 

I missed the actual crash on my camera but I was about 15 bikes behind it happening. Our group got split up by a red light so we waited obviously, waited until our light went green lad at the front started out quite slowly according to those who saw it. A van went through a red light after it had been red for about 3 seconds, poor lad on a yam r125 hit the (I think) rear wheel of the van, and it spun his bike 360 and flung him up in the air he landed on his feet before collapsing to the ground. The van driver is a known locally to the police for alcohol related things but no idea if he was at the time -  also claimed this sun was in his eyes when it was behind him but there was a clear view of a traffic light in the shade. His bike suffered bent forks and possible fairing damage as the wheel went into them when the forks got bent. Marc was cleared from hospital later the same day with no damage.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 1:16 pm

Shit! Sounds pretty dramatic. Glad the kid's not too bad off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:21 pm