Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

NEC

muttley1
the 900
the 900

NEC

Post by muttley1 on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 10:40 am

Hi.
I'm off to the NEC show in a few weeks, free bike parking, overpriced food but hopefully some good bikes. Have given up on expecting kit bargains.

I don't keep up with what's new and shiny so any recommendations on what to see (apart from the cbf500 variants).

muttley1
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: NEC

Post by Beresford on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 12:57 pm

'Classic' type bikes are big at the moment. It would be interesting to get your thoughts on the various companies attempts at this. Triumph (Bobber, Bonneville, Thruxton) of course. But also the Honda, Yamaha, Ducati (Scrambler) BMW efforts. I'm talking style not necessarily substance here. When it comes to 'Classic Style' I really like the air-cooled CB1100, though I would have liked a 4 can exhaust Cool  I think that Triumph have nailed the look , Ducati and BMW (too modern/ordinary) and Yamaha (too ugly) are playing catch-up , though the bikes are quite nice otherwise.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 6:10 pm

Try and find something that will change motorcycling for ever. Good luck Wink
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 8:41 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Try and find something that will change motorcycling for ever.  Good luck Wink
Usually, they don't do politics at bike shows. Laughing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 9:35 pm

@Beresford wrote:

@eternally_troubled wrote:Try and find something that will change motorcycling for ever.  Good luck ;)

Usually, they don't do politics at bike shows. :lol:

That is true, I was more thinking of the concept bikes and new ideas, but I can't say if they'll have any of that there or not.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

Well,
I've been, Lots to see, busy, I've some photos to put up later on.

So,, easy park up in the bike park. Instant oh ffs moment when a chap on a bmw gs milton keynes to high wycombe monster tourer parked up the wrong way to everyone else, strung a bungee from mirror to metal topbox and hung his jacket over it then walked off and left his keys in. Some chap called him back to be told that in London he always leaves the keys in, "thieves think its the bike being watched so won't nick it".

To the show, well what's innovative? err, not a lot really. Plenty of wild side tourers from Triumph (who had an especially big stand), BMW and Hondas Africa Twin, vstroms etc. Perfect lifechange bikes for the newly divorced. The cb500x was the only cb5, no cbr500 etc

I think the demographic of bike buyers is on the up, anyone age 60+ putting on rose tinted specs would find something : Triumph cup twin, 1100 air cooled Honda roadster...Norton Commando now back as a name anyway and I spotted a Honda RS250 mill in one chinese copy.

I sat on a few bikes and the road focussed ones have all gone for wide bars and very upright riding positions. Not much in the way of fairings or wind protection so leisure bikes for Sundays.

Not too many bargains around (leather is out folks, textiles are in). I got a coffee and the person tried to overcharge me and as I left the barrier people put the barrier down for no good reason - thats the NEC for you.

muttley1
ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:21 pm

So a grand day out all in all then??

Did you get a look at the KTM stall with the new 790 prototype on it? That is a bike I am looking forward to seeing when it goes into full production.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:50 pm

Is that the one that looks like it's got no arse?
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 6:45 pm

Very Happy I was there today. There was definitely a CBR500R on the Honda stand, because I sat on it! 

Quite pleased that nothing there looked like it would have been a better buy than the CBR500R I've just bought. I'd been a bit worried that this should have waited and tried the new Kawasaki 650 Ninja, but when I saw them in the flesh they didn't appeal. The 2017 CB650F looks much better than the outgoing version though, but prices are still TBC and I'd expect them to be a couple of grand more than the 500. 

I treated myself to a new Furygan jacket, that was £40 cheaper than I could find online (there's free wifi at the NEC), and a rear rack for the CBR that was £30 cheaper than I could buy it anywhere else too. 

All in all, a good day, and caught up with a real good mate. Might have blagged myself a long weekend in Spain helping run-in a fleet of new Yamahas too, which will be awesome if it comes off. Very Happy
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 10:39 am

@trevor machine wrote:Is that the one that looks like it's got no arse?

Haha possibly, but then I guess that depends on how you like your rears! Have a look for yourself:

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 1:45 pm

@muttley1 wrote:Well,
I've been, Lots to see, busy, I've some photos to put up later on...

Cool! Good write up. I'm not surprised about the preponderance of bike for the over-sixties ;)

I couldn't find the national statistics for this, but this is a 2015 survey from Northhamptonshire is probably representative of the national picture. Here is the age distribution for motorcyclists:

I suspect that in the future there will just be less motorcyclists as the current bulk of them shuffle off the end of the graph.

Was the textile-lust just 'cos this bike show is in the winter or was there less leather than last year? I tend to wear leather trousers all year (they are big enough to get thermal padding underneath) with a (admittedly crap) textile jacket in the 'winter' and an (also crap) leather jacket when it's warmer/less wet.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 9:04 pm

there was a programme on the one eyed monster about the nec show a couple of nights ago and the two makes they seemed to be pushing were ducati and ktm  and they just mentioned Yamaha and Suzuki a couple of times and poor old Honda didn't seem to get a mention and if they did I must have blinked and missed it confused

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:47 pm

The future of motorcycling (note the price tag too!)
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:56 pm

right so the bike looks like a throwback to a few years ago but the price tag certainly aint affraid

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 8:20 pm

Ok, here, a few photos..

first, quality bike, oh, its mine :D 

here's the 500x, comfy and light by the looks of it, a bit off road style

Hondas new 1980's 1100aircooled 4

and the future (again) a scooter thing

and even further into the past ( i thought of the klf's justfied and ancient when I saw this heap)

Ducati's scrambler thing, huge ol engine in chassis for a 400 single

more retro, surely an honda 250rs mill in a shiny throwback look

or surely not a yamaha xs400 mill in a shiny throwback look

I don't know what to say about this one, the black and white picture shows retro dressed girls clinking buds with greasy dodgy backwoods guys. Deliverance?

finally, don't know who owns this one

muttley1

Last edited by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Should be fixed now!)

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 8:22 pm

Don't know what happened there, got to go out now so no time to fix, sorry folks
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 9:06 pm

Where did you get your link pipe from for the left hand exhaust exit?
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:06 am

As many over 70's as 26 to 34 year olds?  That does shock me
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:03 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:Where did you get your link pipe from for the left hand exhaust exit?

Looks like an out of production micron offering.  They pop up on the bay from time to time but are getting rarer. I believe they usually get snapped up by tacers for obvious reasons.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 7:08 pm

HI,
exhaust is a micron race can and link pipe, I think they were allowed in the race series. The endcan has a titanium sleeve (made by Sidekick Performance).

muttley1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 6:33 am