Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

swing-arm: powder-coat or stove enamel

Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names

swing-arm: powder-coat or stove enamel

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 10:21 pm

Hi folks,

I need to replace my swing-arm due to a big hole next to the brake torque arm, so I have bought a used one.

It's in good nick but due to surface rust it needs repainting.

The question is: which is the best to go for? Powder-coat or Stove enamel?  I could do it with rattle cans but think a pro job would be better in the long run
Jameshambleton

Re: swing-arm: powder-coat or stove enamel

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 10:50 pm

Well if you're going to do a job you might as well do it properly. Get it vapour blasted to properly clean up the surface and then sprayed with 2k paint or get it powdercoated.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm

Crash- Elmit wrote:The question is: which is the best to go for? Powder-coat or Stove enamel?  I could do it with rattle cans but think a pro job would be better in the long run

Unless you are paranoid about appearance, I'd seriously suggest you brush paint it with a good metal paint (not Hammerite !). I've  done a car trailer like this about a year ago and no rust has reappeared despite the trailer being used and parked outside in all weathers.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 5:40 pm

Beresford wrote:
Crash- Elmit wrote:The question is: which is the best to go for? Powder-coat or Stove enamel?  I could do it with rattle cans but think a pro job would be better in the long run

Unless you are paranoid about appearance, I'd seriously suggest you brush paint it with a good metal paint (not Hammerite !). I've  done a car trailer like this about a year ago and no rust has reappeared despite the trailer being used and parked outside in all weathers.

Whether you go for powder coating, stove enamel or paint the key point is the preparation, whichever one you go for. A lot of coating places also do sand/media blasting which is good for removing any rust or flaking paint, if you go for painting it yourself a similar level of detail will be required.

I used an evil looking wire wheel in my drill to remove the rust off my replacement swingarm, I then used a rattle can to put on 4 (or so) coats of paint - it looks OK. It would have looked *great* if I had properly sanded the wire wheel marks out of it, but I didn't really mind about the appearance so I didn't.

Whatever you choose I would try and find a recommendation from someone who has used them before - ideally someone who will show you what they had coated so you can make your own mind up.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 5:47 pm

For ease of prep (none!) and a great finish, get it powder coated. Should only cost about £20, and as long as the original metal is good, it will last another 15 years.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 8:16 pm

I would  definitely recommend having it sand blasted and powder coated for you by a professional. 

Both should be done with care regarding any parts that must not be blasted or covered with paint, like threads or bearing housings.

I recently had a bicycle frame powder coated, and while it can not compare with a well made factory paint job, powder coating looks great and is quite durable. I layer of clear coat on top also adds to a good looking paint.

My personal attempts at preparing and painting things with rattle cans 
have always been  a huge waste of time and money with poor results.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 9:03 pm

There's a lot of good advice here. I think there is no doubt that blast and powder coat is the holy grail of what is best. However, as a lot of my friends have found, sooner or later you damage the finish or want to modify something (or just shit happens Twisted Evil ) and a patch-up becomes necessary, then you wish you'd just painted it !!! 'cos then you can just paint it again ! ( I stress, use good paint, not cheap rattle cans !!!!)
Crash- Elmit

Post by Crash- Elmit on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 12:17 am

had a good go at getting the old paint and rust off today.  the worst area was around the swivel, which has a lot of rough patches. after 3 hours of brushing and rubbing down with wet and dry I decided to take it to a local powder coaters to get it blasted and painted. £25 all in so not bad. will pick it up on Friday.  the only unexpected  expense I occurred was due to removing the bearings, as the heat from the curing oven  can destroy the rubber/plastic cage that holds the needles. No matter how careful I was I could not get it out complete/without damage, so had to order a new one

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 6:25 am

Having a new bearing in there won't be a bad thing though.

Would be interested to see any before and after pics if you have them.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 5:50 pm

If you are going to get it powder coated you might as well do the bearings at the same time, so you've done the right thing. It will be interesting to see the finished result.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:08 pm

I'd probably just hammerite the fuck out of it. I'm done with giving a shit about finish now. It's all about what will last - and tbh I think brushed hammerite type paints are as good as any, with the caveat that you reapply and touch up where/when necessary (which admittedly you probably wouldn't need to do with a proper powder coated job).
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 1:18 pm

trevor machine wrote:I'm done with giving a shit about finish now.

I can identify with that sentiment :)

The more I find out about surface preparation and all sorts of paint the more I am able to get a good finish but somehow I still don't care enough to actually do it (at least, not on my bike).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:17 am