Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Pulling out caliper pistons

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Pulling out caliper pistons

Post by Beresford on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 7:37 pm

Here's a way of pulling the pistons if the caliper is off the bike
http://www.thetriumphforum.co.uk/threads/champagne-is-good-for-your-brakes.7734/
Jameshambleton

Re: Pulling out caliper pistons

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm

I think I'd just some of these
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 8:01 am

They essentially do the same thing; the former is more use if you are in a hurry and you can't wait for a delivery!

The other thing I have used with some success is compressed air:  you blow it in via the bleed nipple while stuffing your finger (or other items!) over the bajo-bolt hole, ideally while clamping the other piston in place.  You can do this even if you don't have a compressor - one of those big T-shaped bicycle track pumps works well, assuming you have an assistant to do the pumping!  You need to be careful about aiming the piston away from yourself or anyone else:  when it comes out it goes 'pop' and fires across the room!
Alvi
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 8:28 pm

I've used that compressed air method with some success. One piece of advice though, don't try & 'catch' the piston with your fingers as it come out. Firstly,it hurts, a lot. And secondly, being one handed now makes it very difficult to remove the caliper from your other hand!  Sad
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 8:48 pm

I second the track pump idea, air compressor not essential. Bag over it to catch the piston has worked for me in the past.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:30 pm