Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

so - looks like I've gone over to the dark side

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

so - looks like I've gone over to the dark side

Post by trevor machine on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 6:25 pm

No - not bought a GS. The fact is that half my clocks don't light up. The tacho's okay - but the speedo is almost in total darkness apart from one bulb - and it's the one at "five o'clock" - the least useful one. So I'm not feeling that warm orange glow on the ride home, and even though the white needle and residual glow from the tacho lights doesn't completely hide my speedo reading, I do have to squint.

But I'm thinking it wouldn't be easy to prize the clocks apart and put replacement bulbs in. I don't want foggy clocks either - which seems to be one potential side effect of faffing around separating the seals and stuff.

So has anyone done this without too much trauma and lasting damage?
Jameshambleton

Re: so - looks like I've gone over to the dark side

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 6:48 pm

Done it a few times on all of my bikes (apart from the brandit) just change them during the day time and don't put your fingers inside of the clock screen, finger marks on the inside of the wind isn't funny. The bulbs are in rubber grommets never had any trouble with them steaming up.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 7:47 pm

I haven't had to do this for a while, but I don't remember that it was a big problem, so it probably isn't too bad.

It have had a similar but different problem when one of the wires in the 'snake' that runs up the head-tube snapped - this also caused a number of lights to fail.  If your 'idiot' lights still work then you probably haven't got that particular problem.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 2:59 am

Thanks both.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 6:35 am

Done this long time ago. Was no problem. Just take your time - and remember to get the right wattage replacement bulbs. I - apparently - didn't do that and my speedo is unevenly lit. Gives my inner OCD the tics...

And yes; that warm orange glow is somehow comforting...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 7:59 am

Oh yes, given (as I remember) you ride all year round it is worth getting incandescent bulbs rather than any kind of LED replacement:  the heat from the bulbs helps dry out any moisture that may collect in your clocks.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 8:38 am

Hmmm good point!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 9:07 am

t10 3watt bulbs, fairly cheap on wemoto but the postage gets you so might be worth ordering a few other bits whilst you're on there.
Baddi
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Baddi on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 9:32 am

That's easy to do! 

It was the first thing I did the day after I got the motorcycle as I drove it home at night and couldn't see how fast I was going. 

I just popped in some cheap blue LED lights from china I had lying around and so far no problem, but of course, I've only had the bike for a week, so they may or may not be very good, but since the lights are powered by the battery, they should last a long time, if they are properly made.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 10:12 am

Nice one baddi. ; - )
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 10:14 am

stormbringer wrote:Done this long time ago. Was no problem. Just take your time - and remember to get the right wattage replacement bulbs. I - apparently - didn't do that and my speedo is unevenly lit. Gives my inner OCD the tics...

And yes; that warm orange glow is somehow comforting...

Hang on a sec - when did you get mod status? I feel like I should've noticed that but just then it seemed like a new development!
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:26 pm

No - not bought a GS. The fact is that half my clocks don't light up. The tacho's okay - but the speedo is almost in total darkness apart from one bulb - and it's the one at "five o'clock" - the least useful one. So I'm not feeling that warm orange glow on the ride home, and even though the white needle and residual glow from the tacho lights doesn't completely hide my speedo reading, I do have to squint. 

This exact thing happened to me about a 2 weeks ago but in that time I feel my ability to ride a particular speed without being able to see the clock has improved greatly (I think!).

Hang on a sec - when did you get mod status? I feel like I should've noticed that but just then it seemed like a new development!

I think he has been for a while - James Hambleton is the one I've just noticed!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 5:10 pm

Shit yeah - never noticed that either. Surprised
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 7:42 pm

trevor machine wrote:Hang on a sec - when did you get mod status? I feel like I should've noticed that but just then it seemed like a new development!
Sometime last winter methinks. Have I managed to annoy or bother you in any way? If so, it's definitely unintentional.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 7:46 pm

ceejay wrote: I think he has been for a while - James Hambleton is the one I've just noticed!

well that didn't take long, only got the tags under my name today Rolling Eyes
trevor machine wrote:Shit yeah - never noticed that either. Surprised
Trevor you're fairly local to me I think so if you're ordering anything from wemoto let me know as I'm sure I can find stuff that I need to get ordered.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 7:58 pm

Sometime last winter methinks. Have I managed to annoy or bother you in any way? If so, it's definitely unintentional.

Certainly haven't bothered me, your posts are some of the most interesting on here and by default I have to respect someone who can use their (presumably) second language better than I can my only language  Very Happy

Haynes says the instrument bulbs are '3.4w or 1.4w' watt which is not greatly helpful...
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 9:26 pm

ceejay wrote:... someone who can use their (presumably) second language better than I can my only language  Very Happy

Haynes says the instrument bulbs are '3.4w or 1.4w' watt which is not greatly helpful...
Language: Long story, but nothing comes from nothing; I've worked to get to where I am today. Luckily, english is in widespread use around here*, so I have lots of opportunities to practice. Unfortunately, the company 'common language' is US english, and with a native american CEO the Queen's british accent (much preferred by yours truly) faces some serious competition. The hillbilly-rolling-R's-pronunciation is strangely contagious Sad

Bulbs: I'm on thin ice here, but recall that two big ones and a number of small ones were needed. I've never gotten round to checking if all of the ones I mounted actually did work. Winter project?

*) With Denmark being inhabited by what amounts to 2/3 of London's population, we're used to being outnumbered. Thus, most danes master several languages beside their native tongue. Necessity teaches...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 12:04 am

stormbringer wrote:

trevor machine wrote:Hang on a sec - when did you get mod status? I feel like I should've noticed that but just then it seemed like a new development!

Never! Wink
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 6:57 am

No but really - why did you think that?? I never get annoyed here - it's a very ahem "chill" forum and laid back.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:46 pm