Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

front wheel bearings

spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

front wheel bearings

Post by spanner monkey on Sat 29 Oct 2016, 3:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm just renewing the front wheel bearings on my 2002 CB500, and as expected the diagram in the manual regarding using a drift through the other side is way wrong. There is just no visible lip to get a drift on.

How on earth do I get these buggers out. Anyone else had trouble with this procedure ?

cheers

Rich

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: front wheel bearings

Post by sullivj on Sat 29 Oct 2016, 6:34 pm

Seems to be a recurring theme with no lip to drift on - the headstock bearing is the same.

Consensus seems to be to either weld a cross bar across the bearing, and whack that, or carefully dremel it out.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 29 Oct 2016, 6:38 pm

Can confirm it is the same with the rear wheel, attempted mine and in the end I took it to a garage and they had to dremel it out and he used the drifts and even broke part of the wheel to get it out. Took them about an hour and a half to do.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:37 am

cheers for replies. tbh I thought as much had to do the same with my head stock and hoped there was a smarter way. i'll crack on with it. 

cheers

Rich
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 7:27 pm

That's a bit odd.  I've never had this problem on mine - a 1997 model.

You *should* be able to displace the bearing spacer slightly to one side, exposing the lip of the bearing inner race - you then need to catch this edge with the edge of your drift and give it good whack.  As soon as the bearing moves slightly the spacer can be more easily moved to one side and it should be possible to secure the drift more easily on the inner race.

You might need to pull the drift a little to help get the spacer moving one side.  It also helps to have a drift with a good sharp edge.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 9:51 pm

yesh i could see that the bearing spacer would move over a bit, but just couldn't get a purchase on it still with a flat screwdriver. might try grinding it flatter. as you say, good sharp edge may do it. i'll give it a grind down to a flatter finish before I do anything else. I had to grind the head bearings out with tungsten carbide bits when I did them, pain in the back side.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 7:57 am

The wheel bearings are not as bad as the bottom race of the head bearing - it is impossible to knock out as there is no lip, the wheel bearings are can just be 'difficult' but hopefully possible!
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 10:04 pm

well... you are right about the lower head for sure. that was a no lip situation. tried sharpening up the drift for the wheel bearing but still no luck. just possible you had a slightly different thickness of  spacer, who knows. anyway, drilled out one side with a tungsten grinder, and then went to work on the outer race. the bearing on the other side with access took 20 seconds. amazing difference. when i wiggled the spindle in the original bearings there was a huge mount of freeplay. now there is next to none. ( the reason for me doing the bearings in the first place - the steering didnt feel right, now it it spot on  ). not sure how this passed its last MOT to be honest, i guess these things can disintegrate quickly after 14 years of use.  cheers for help...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 5:47 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed. My rear one went - you don't really notice as it gets worse but once you've fixed it it's like a new bike!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:19 pm