Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

speedo accuracy

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

speedo accuracy

Post by trevor machine on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 8:14 am

Any of you owners used your mobile devices (or other reliable means) to suss out how accurate the 500's speedo is? If so, what sort of results have you obtained? Personally, it seems to me that - with stock tyre sizes - it reads to within a couple of percent. But honestly, I don't have hard evidence.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: speedo accuracy

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 9:52 am

Thinks most speedos are off, but i also think changing the sprokets  for  ones that are not standard affect the speedo too
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:25 am

@wornsprokets wrote:Thinks most speedos are off, but i also think changing the sprokets  for  ones that are not standard affect the speedo too

I don't see how, when the speedo is driven off the front wheel.

On more modern bikes, where the speed measurement is within the engine, maybe so.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:45 am

Think one of the Bandit's comes off the sprocket iirc. But yeah - only tyres will affect the 500's cos as sully says it's on the front hub.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 4:33 pm

Yeah sorry i was thinking of an other bike i had that it didnt go off front wheel No
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

I know car speedo's read 8-10% higher than actual as a safety precaution. I think this is actually mandatory. My car speedo is very accurately inaccurate compared with sat nav. I think my cb is much closer to reality. It nearly always matches those roadside speed indicators where the car reads over.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 6:57 pm

I believe the cb over reads by 2mph,  with a 10mm lower profile front it over reads another 2mph over according to my rev gauge
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 7:48 pm

Mine is a little bit over.... haven't quantified how much a 'little bit' is though.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 11:01 pm

Mine's over buy around 10% iirc.  I've often wondered how much closer it would be using 70 profile tyres.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 6:40 am

Mine is surprisingly accurate. Compared to the satnav, the speedo is like 2-3 km/h above actual speed. And my front wheel's done 31.000 km - meaning it's by now quite worn down, reducing its diameter slightly.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 7:14 am

@ashcroc wrote:Mine's over buy around 10% iirc.  I've often wondered how much closer it would be using 70 profile tyres.

that makes it over read more, as 70 profile tyres are what I'm using at the moment. 
Metzeler wrote:Fitting the 130/80 will also give better mileage as the rolling circumference is more than with the 130/70.

so because the rolling circumference is less on a 70 profile tyre this will make the speedo over read more, if you want *more* "accuracy" you want a 90 profile front tyre.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 22 Jun 2017, 9:26 pm