Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

what's the most popular sprocket change for the CB500 and why?

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

what's the most popular sprocket change for the CB500 and why?

Post by trevor machine on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:08 pm

Hi all - just wondered what the most common sprocket preferences are after stock, for the cb5. Pretty sure both of mine are standard - one is definitely still on its original sprockets; the rear one has the groovy carrier on it, with its plastic liner.

So if people ever change the gearing what do they normally choose and why?
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: what's the most popular sprocket change for the CB500 and why?

Post by geewhizz on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 7:18 pm

I put a 14t renthal on the front and a standard JT at the back. The renthal makes it a bit feistier off the lights and it also gives the 6th gear a bit more power and therefore more versatility imo.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 9:12 pm

Interesting. Definitely think I'd prefer low and mid range power than top end. I rarely do more than 85. Then again did get in the 90-95 realms the other day.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 10:30 pm

If you're only really doing A roads than dual carriageways and motorways then I'd definitely go for a +2 on the rear. 70mph in 6th is at 6k revs when I'm pushing it a bit on road roads I only really use midrange now rather than top end. My dyno power run proves that Wink
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 10:43 pm

Sounds like 2+ on the rear is more extreme. I don't think my top end was effected greatly
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 9:00 am

It depends on what you want (I've left mine standard, but then, I bought the chain + sprockets kit aaaaages ago when I got the bike but only just needed to fit it).

If you go up on the front (i.e. decrease the revs for a given speed) then the top gear becomes even more like an overdrive, which might be exactly what you want if you spend a fair amount of time on the motorway.  I wouldn't go more than one up on the front or it could get very sluggish below 80 mph!

If you go up on the back (i.e. increase the revs for a given speed) you'll get more acceleration, as James describes, which may or may not appeal to you, depending on your riding style.

Another thing to remember that changes on the front sprocket will have more effect than on the back sprocket (1/15th is larger than 1/40th), also, if you reduce the number of teeth on the front the loading on each tooth will be higher and will increase front-sprocket wear, then again, it's quite easy to change the front sprocket.

In addition to all of that (James alluded to this with his dyno reference) the gearing interacts with the power/torque curves of the engine, so the actual effects may feel different from what you expect.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:07 pm

Cheers ET - ace info.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:16 pm