Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

wonky winkers

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

wonky winkers

Post by geewhizz on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:10 pm

I've been putting up with my indicators not working properly for too long. I'm pretty sure its a relay:bulb wattage issue as both were replaced a while back. i think the original bulbs are 21w and i've replaced them with 23w, or the other way round. Anyway I replaced the relay with a cheapy one from a garage one day and it worked for a few months. Now my winkers only come on at the lowest revs, which isn't the safest but I don't use the bike everyday so was just putting up with it...until now. 

My question is, should i change the bulbs back to 21w or should i pick up a specific relay?

Thanks,

G
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: wonky winkers

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 7:34 am

The easiest thing is to get a new 'relay': if you fit one of the ones that are suitable for LED bulbs (i.e. one that is load invariant) it will work whatever bulb you put in.

Out of interest, have you cleaned the crap out of your indicator switch and cleaned the connectors in the indicator loom?
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 6:13 am

Ive not cleaned anything for a while. Theres another reason to give it a once over.

I bought a couple of cheap regular relays off ebay but they came with the wrong connector. I'll take a look for the led type you mentioned and give it a bash.

thanks
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 1:41 pm

I popped in a LED relay this afternoon and the bulbs just stay on but they don't flash. Connections are fine Im assuming as they switch between left and right side on the button. Next step try 21w bulbs with the original relay?

Cheers G
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 6:02 pm

@geewhizz wrote:I popped in a LED relay this afternoon and the bulbs just stay on but they don't flash. Connections are fine Im assuming as they switch between left and right side on the button. Next step try 21w bulbs with the original relay?

Cheers G

That's weird. Where did you get it from? What connections does it have?

The original indicator bulbs are 21W, according to Haynes.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 9:37 pm

It was an new eBay item. Could be dodgy. Tis bugging me anyways, always having to checking to see if the indicators are on display. Before if the revs were above say 3000 the indicators would go off completely until the revs dropped back. That's how it is at the mo with the old relay back in, I think I'll try find the 21w bulbs ...
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:00 pm

I took out one of the current bulbs and it has this written on it - can't say I know anything about bulbs, maybe it's a 10w ? I thought it was 23w but a mechanic tried swapping them out when they were flashing too fast originally so maybe they got changed out 

2LK E462       
E1    
GERLUX  
12V10WRY10W

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:12 pm

This is the nest thing I need. I didn't know that crap build up in the switch - it could well be that. In case it's not, can anyone recommend and make and model of generic flasher that will go on the bike? cheers
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 9:59 am

@geewhizz wrote:I took out one of the current bulbs and it has this written on it - can't say I know anything about bulbs, maybe it's a 10w ? I thought it was 23w but a mechanic tried swapping them out when they were flashing too fast originally so maybe they got changed out 

2LK E462       
E1    
GERLUX  
12V10WRY10W

I bet this is a 10W bulb... given the low cost of some new bulbs I would just buy 4, replace them all and see what happens.

I *think* this is the right bulb from Halfrauds (please check - I haven't got one off the bike for comparison to hand):

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-bulbs/halfords-bike-it-motorcycle-bulb-hmb382-12v-21w
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 2:18 pm

Thanks for the link, I'll pop a bulb out and check its the right size when I'm next out at somewhere like halfords, I need orange bulbs for the clear lenses too... And just for reference the relay in there at the moment says 12.8v 85 c/m 80w 714151 ECF4, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's out of spec too-hah G
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 7:32 pm

@geewhizz wrote:Thanks for the link, I'll pop a bulb out and check its the right size when I'm next out at somewhere like halfords, I need orange bulbs for the clear lenses too... And just for reference the relay in there at the moment says 12.8v 85 c/m 80w 714151 ECF4, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's out of spec too-hah G

Halfords also do a orange ones:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-bulbs/halfords-bike-it-motorcycle-bulb-hmb581-12v-21w

Sadly they charge an extra 2 quid for the orange paint...

skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 8:07 pm

strewth the robbing weazles Evil or Very Mad

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 11:13 pm

Guys thanks for the tip on cleaning the switch.  I sprayed professional switch cleaner in there and it is slightly improved but not entirely.
Right click works fine. Left click hesitates and then double speed clicking can be heard from the flasher unit, then is sometimes starts indicating normally, but sometimes doesn't.

If that sounds like anew flasher is required, can you recommend one (other than the 35 quid one David Silver wants)? cheers
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 8:42 am

@BallisticBrian wrote:Guys thanks for the tip on cleaning the switch.  I sprayed professional switch cleaner in there and it is slightly improved but not entirely.
Right click works fine. Left click hesitates and then double speed clicking can be heard from the flasher unit, then is sometimes starts indicating normally, but sometimes doesn't.

If that sounds like anew flasher is required, can you recommend one (other than the 35 quid one David Silver wants)? cheers

I can't recommend one (mine still works fine) but you can get one from Wemoto (who are pretty reputable) for about 12 quid, which will probably be about 15 quid with shipping:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_v/97-98/picture/flasher_relay/

You could probably get a generic one from ebay for less money but you would then have to work out how to wire it up (not difficult, but not for everyone).

Before you change the flasher relay you should check the wattage of the indicator bulbs (they should all be 21W) and clean all of the connections, working back from the indicators to the switch and the idiot light: if it still doesn't work after making sure you have the correct bulbs and the connections are clean it *might* be worth changing the relay.

Assuming you are using the bike fairly regularly, it is worth spraying a little bit of switch cleaner in the switch before each ride for a few rides (say the next 5 times) and see if that dislodges some more crud from the switch.

Do you keep your bike outside? If so, it is worth investing in a cover (even a cheap one like this) as this will keep at least some of the water out of the switches (the water won't help your indicator switch!).

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:01 pm

Well further to my last message, by morning, the switch cleaner had "soaked in" and COMPLETELY RESOLVED the indicator issues I've had for 3 or 4 years. So thanks to the switch cleaner recommendation. I would never had believed it was that simple.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:19 pm

I had a very simular issue with mine, spraying the switchgear with wd40 "fixed it" but only for a short while, in the end it turned out to be the flasher unit. I replaced my flasher unit in the end and not had a problem since, you can get them on ebay used for about £7 posted and they're the same across all years of pretty much every honda ever made.

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 9:22 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote: you can get them on ebay used for about £7 posted and they're the same across all years of pretty much every honda ever made.

Surely you would think if they are so prolific, someone would have come out with a generic OEM available cheaply and widely, however I couldn't find it on eBay and the price David Silver Spares wanted for one was horrendous.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 9:44 pm

[url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=honda indicator relay&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4&_trksid=p2045573.m1684]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=honda%20indicator%20relay&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4&_trksid=p2045573.m1684[/url]

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 10:25 pm

Laughing Shocked Evil or Very Mad drunken
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:16 am

what was that james well strange
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:44 am

Almost any indicator relay from any vehicle will probably work, assuming you adjust the connections to suit, however, as James says it is lot easier to use a Honda one as a lot of them just slot straight in.

However, if you don't want to pay Honda for one, try this one from wemoto:

or if that's too much money try this one from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flasher-Relay-Honda-3-Pin-Block-Each-/112136686862?hash=item1a1bde0d0e:g:VooAAOSwLF1X2Z1j

or this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-flasher-relay-mitsuba-fr-3303-/272444782298?hash=item3f6ef976da:g:gZQAAOSwNRlYJHi5

or this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR-750-FM-RC36-1992-Indicator-Flasher-Relay-272103-/252613757631?hash=item3ad0f40abf:g:GXgAAOSwoudW8XMf

Obviously I can't 100% guarantee that the ebay ones will fit, but they *look* like the right connector.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:42 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:Almost any indicator relay from any vehicle will probably work, assuming you adjust the connections to suit, however, as James says it is  lot easier to use a Honda one as a lot of them just slot straight in.

However, if you don't want to pay Honda for one, try this one from wemoto:

The issue with the one from wemoto is that it isn't exactly a direct fit so you need to unravel part of the loom to get enough clearance for it as it is about twice the size of the standard Mitsuba one.

The 3303 is the relay that is used, my cb400sf and my cb500 use them they're just straight up mitsuba not even honda rebranded though they are the parts that were originally used! 

Just checked on Farnham honda side and it says "12 RELAY COMP., WINKER (MITSUBA) 38301-KK9-952"
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

belated thanks for the info again guys! sorry i was ignoring the problem again until it got through the mot last week.

I bought these bike-it indicators to see if the issue would disappear given they are 23w bulbs and the bike has 10w but the problem seems to remain. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74073 
would this sort of relay work, i'm interested in the variable nature as et suggested, might make indicator swaps easier in the future. 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-2-Pin-11V-15V-150W-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Lights-Hyper-Flash-/152232826380?hash=item2371c8960c:g:tPwAAOSwFV9Xz8aJ

I know id have to fiddle with the wiring but is it a case of simply matching two of the three wires on the bike to the two pins on the relay?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 6:09 pm

@geewhizz wrote:belated thanks for the info again guys! sorry i was ignoring the problem again until it got through the mot last week.

I bought these bike-it indicators to see if the issue would disappear given they are 23w bulbs and the bike has 10w but the problem seems to remain. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74073 
would this sort of relay work, i'm interested in the variable nature as et suggested, might make indicator swaps easier in the future. 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-2-Pin-11V-15V-150W-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Lights-Hyper-Flash-/152232826380?hash=item2371c8960c:g:tPwAAOSwFV9Xz8aJ

I know id have to fiddle with the wiring but is it a case of simply matching two of the three wires on the bike to the two pins on the relay?

No, not quite that easy - better to get one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-Adjustable-LED-Flasher-Relay-for-Car-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Blinker-Light-/272345319953?hash=item3f690bca11:g:16UAAOSwIgNXtWG4

From looking at the wiring diagram you'll need to remove the connector for the existing relay and connect as follows:

green wire : -
black/brown wire : +
grey wire : L (load)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:56 am