Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

not cb500-specific - cancelling indicators

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

not cb500-specific - cancelling indicators

Post by trevor machine on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:06 am

Quick question - how often do you glance down and notice that blinking indicator light on the dash? In more recent times I have to say I hardly ever do - but coming to bikes after decades of driving it used to happen way too often. IAM helped a little bit - because there's so much stress on concentrating on each and every aspect of the ride. However, what really helped was simply this - cancelling the indicators manually whenever I'm in the car. This was the only way I managed to finally overcome this potentially really dangerous problem. In this way, indicators in and on every vehicle become a function requiring a deliberate and definite process of cancellation by hand. I found this works pretty damn well tbh.

Of course, the only slight issue here is that you can never know for sure exactly how often you leave your indicators on, when riding (in cars there is usually an audible clicking, though of course the auto-off works 99.9% on most cars/vans etc.). So who knows - it may happen to me far more regularly than I assume.

Knowing this, I tired to introduce another bit of due diligence in a bid to suss out once and for all whether I was cancelling 99% of my signals (I think that's probably the best I'll ever achieve!) - so to complement always trying to cancel signals in the car manually, I also always try to glance down at the bike's dash PRIOR to indicating. In this way it's possible to see if they're still on from the previous time they were used, before you actually use the switch again.

But of course, this "braces" part of my belt and braces approach to cancelling indicators is itself reliant on me remembering to glance down prior to signalling. Raising the question of if I can't remember to cancel flashers, why would I remember to glance down at the relevant idiot light.

Like "third man" critiques of Plato's theory of forms, an infinite regress emerges. Each requirement to remember necessitates its own mnemonic: my trick for remembering to cancel needs a trick to remember to remember to cancel which in turn needs another trick to remember to remember to remember to cancel. And so on unto infinity. 

drunken Laughing Shocked scratch
Grarea
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Re: not cb500-specific - cancelling indicators

Post by Grarea on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:00 am

Very Happy

I wonder this myself.
The habit I have is to regularly and fairly frequently just hit the cancel button.
'just in case'. 

Being off the bikes for a while, I have the same concern.
I am definitely improving though.
All down to repetition repetition repetition eh?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:05 am

Yeah - as Mark E Smith himself said, repetition repetition repetition. But I honestly did find the car thing helped a lot - cancel them manually in that and it carries across to the bike. Just train yourself to cancel manually in all vehicles. *shrug*
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:06 am

I have this problem on my cb400, only the indicator light on the dash doesn't work over 2k rpm so I have to look down past my bars to notice if they're still on.... ooops, new loom shortly.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:40 am

Jameshambleton wrote:I have this problem on my cb400, only the indicator light on the dash doesn't work over 2k rpm so I have to look down past my bars to notice if they're still on.... ooops, new loom shortly.

It's only in recent weeks that I've been out in the dark - and wow it's so much easier to see if your flasher is on. I forgot how obvious it is once passed lighting up time. One of the few perks of riding at night. In the day, in bright sunlight, I can hardly tell if they're on or not without looking at the dash.
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 12:52 pm

I'm a bit paranoid about this, having had a near miss at a junction many years ago. I find on my CB, the other keys on my keyring can often vibrate around and obstruct the warning lights. On my last bike I fitted a flasher relay that incorporated a buzzer, which gave a good, clear, audible warning too. I have been meaning to get one for the CB, but it remains on the "list".

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:08 pm

My BMW is very clever in this regard.. If you leave it on for more than 7 seconds, and you're doing over 25mph, it turns itself off.

I wonder if our humble CB electronics could be adapted to do something similar?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:13 pm

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 3:17 pm

sullivj wrote:I found this:

http://www.safer-turn.com/#home

That's a bit clever and I'd be interested to see how well it works.

Personally I prefer this solution:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-INDICATOR-WARNING-BUZZER-ADJUSTABLE-DELAY-0-20-FLASHES-A-MUST-HAVE-/250892629933

It's a bit cheaper and doesn't interfere (or make a noise) unless you've left it on for a while.

I'd second what trevor machine said: since I started riding a motorcycle I (without even really thinking about it) started manually cancelling the indicators in the car. But then normally (when I've got a job!) I use the bike more than the car anyway...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 3:20 pm

I basically can't believe it's become the norm to fit rider modes and traction control etc. but yet there's still no commitment to self cancellation by the big 4.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 3:49 pm

trevor machine wrote:I basically can't believe it's become the norm to fit rider modes and traction control etc. but yet there's still no commitment to self cancellation by the big 4.

IMO it's down to two things:

1. Making self cancelling indicators that actually work is harder than you think - something like sullivj describes involving time and speed is probably the easiest way.

2. Bike companies only add features (or, to them, costs) if they can make the development money back a number of times over. They would say that self cancelling indicators are not something that 'bikers want' so they won't be prepared to pay more for them.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 7:17 pm

trevor machine wrote:I basically can't believe it's become the norm to fit rider modes and traction control etc. but yet there's still no commitment to self cancellation by the big 4.

a few years ago I had a new 1978 yamaha rd 250e that had self cancelling indicators and I have never had a bike since with them Neutral
Grarea
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Grarea on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 7:24 pm

skyrider wrote:

a few years ago I had a new 1978 yamaha rd 250e that had self cancelling indicators and I have never had a bike since with them Neutral

Really? 
How did they work?
Was it just a timer thing?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 7:28 pm

I think in the handbook at the time it was how many revolutions the front wheel made before they cancelled

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm