Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

CB500s won't start

Scatcat1994
Squiddy
Squiddy

CB500s won't start

Post by Scatcat1994 on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

Hey Guys,

Recently bought a CB500s for when I pass my test.  When I bought it it started on the button cold with the choke fully on, it struggled otherwise but not an issue to use the choke.

I had to leave it sitting for roughly 2 months as I am studying away and currently dont have my full licence.

When I came back I tried to fire it up, it turned over on the button but wouldn't fire up.  I kept trying and then it just clicks as I press the button, engine doesn't even turn over.

I thought the battery had died so I tried to jump start it using another bike I have.  Doing this stopped the clicking and started to turn the engine over but it still wont start.  

I tried to bump start it too on a hill but this failed as well.

I took a multimeter across the terminals and they were reading 11.8 volts.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

-Scott
Jameshambleton

Re: CB500s won't start

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 6:49 pm

Replace the plugs, mine did the exact same as yours and I mean the exact same. I had started the bike ran it and turned it off. The engine didn't get warm enough and the spark plugs became carbon fouled. Remove the plugs and replace them or clean them up. 

As for your battery get it put on a trickle charger and it should recover. You bike hasn't been running at a high enough voltage to start charging the battery so every time you've started it you're draining the battery and turning over an engine like the cb's takes a lot of power.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 3:32 pm

I'd start by charging the battery.  If you haven't got a charger then there is no need to spend too much one, get a trickle charger like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVERLINE-634004-12V-BATTERY-TRICKLE-CHARGER-CAR-MOTORCYCLE-QUAD-CARAVAN-BOAT-/161571612775?hash=item259e6b2867:g:qu4AAOSwk5FUwmzw

It will take roughly 24 - 36 hours for this to charge your battery, after which you should unplug it.

At this time of year (not summer!) if you are going to leave the bike unused for more than a few weeks you should take the battery off the bike and bring the battery in the house - they don't like getting cold!

If that doesn't work then, as James said, it's not a bad idea to clean the plugs. While you are there do check the obvious things like running out of petrol and petrol valve set to 'off' etc...

Have you got a Haynes manual?  It's worth getting one.  At a pinch you can download it (there was a link somewhere on this forum) - but that's not quite as useful as a paper version, mainly 'cos you probably don't want to get your phone covered in oil while reading the manual!

The best thing you can do is get that licence, then you won't be in this situation again! :)
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Post by geoffnorfolk on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:24 pm

It doesn't sound like the jump leads were very successful when you say "it started to turn the engine over".  I've used jump leads from a car battery before.... you need to make sure the leads are well attached to the terminals.......... and the engine should turn over really quickly.  Are you using decent quality leads....... cheap ones don't work as well as they use thinner wire.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:18 pm