Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

2,200 miles...!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

2,200 miles...!

Post by sullivj on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 9:02 pm

So, what do you think it would take to get this really nice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB500-GENUINE-LOW-MILEAGE-ONE-OWNER-/172373484488?hash=item282242a3c8:g:OrEAAOSwpLNX~1Y3

New shocks, brakes overhaul, carb clean, new chain....?!
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Re: 2,200 miles...!

Post by ceejay on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 9:12 pm

I reckon quite a lot to sort that out, had it been kept inside might have been a bit easier. Rust everywhere I'd imagine, including inside the tank. Of course can be done like any other project with time, money and will but for me no where near worth it compared to higher mileage and better loved CB500's!

Interesting to see though!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 9:20 pm

Agreed. 

Had it been dry stored, I might have been tempted.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 7:14 am

@sullivj wrote:So, what do you think it would take to get this really nice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB500-GENUINE-LOW-MILEAGE-ONE-OWNER-/172373484488?hash=item282242a3c8:g:OrEAAOSwpLNX~1Y3

Wow. Now that IS an interesting case. Criminal, really. I honestly think that 10 minutes and 10 quid is all it would've taken me to lay that up well enough to have preserved pretty much intact. A few pots of cheap grease, and some enthusiastic smearing over every metallic surface, plus a couple of aerosol spray grease cans for the less accessible crevices.

Not sure about what to do w/ carbs and tank - drain former, fill w/ red X maybe? Or just leave dry? Tank off and drained and hidden at back of wardrobe?

Anyway look the point is it wouldn't have taken much to mothball this bike. A dinner break at most. Then again I do know how disruptive the arrival kids is - a new baby can trash lives like nothing else. They devour time, energy and attention in a way that few other events do - even if big parts of the change are lovely. Poor bike though - not sure it'll ever be right again. Weird how one shock looks new and the other is pretty corroded - tarp mustn't have been tied down properly on that side.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 7:48 am

@trevor machine wrote:

@sullivj wrote:So, what do you think it would take to get this really nice?

Wow. Now that IS an interesting case. Criminal, really. I honestly think that 10 minutes and 10 quid is all it would've taken me to lay that up well enough to have preserved pretty much intact. A few pots of cheap grease, and some enthusiastic smearing over every metallic surface, plus a couple of aerosol spray grease cans for the less accessible crevices.

Not sure about what to do w/ carbs and tank - drain former, fill w/ red X maybe? Or just leave dry? Tank off and drained and hidden at back of wardrobe?

Anyway look the point is it wouldn't have taken much to mothball this bike. A dinner break at most. Then again I do know how disruptive the arrival kids is - a new baby can trash lives like nothing else. They devour time, energy and attention in a way that few other events do - even if big parts of the change are lovely. Poor bike though - not sure it'll ever be right again. Weird how one shock looks new and the other is pretty corroded - tarp mustn't have been tied down properly on that side.

You can do a lot with a large pot of grease :)  You'd either want to drain the tank completely or brim it with petrol, in my opinion. I think the carbs are always best drained.

I think the problem is that when you put something like a motorcycle 'away' you never intend it to be for 10 years (or whatever it was) - for all we know the owner *did* do sensible things, but only the sensible things for 1 year, not 10.

If I was interested in buying this then I think you can tell a lot by going to see it - for a start you could look in the tank with a torch (you'll soon see the rust if it is bad).  I reckon that if the tank was rust free most other things would be do-able - even the (possibly slightly stuck) engine.

Oh yes, the main things you need if you wanted to buy this bike are £1000 and a van! ;)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 1:31 pm

It has been stashed outdoors and hasn't run for 10 years. I'd be very concerned about internal corrosion in the engine, particularly on the cams and followers and the bores and piston rings.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

@Beresford wrote:It has been stashed outdoors and hasn't run for 10 years. I'd be very concerned about internal corrosion in the engine, particularly on the cams and followers and the bores and piston rings.

This had crossed my mind too: I considered saying 'you should try and push it in gear' to see if the engine moves, but I then thought 'the brakes will be stuck on' so you might not be able to do that.

It would certainly be worth asking if they chucked a spoonful of oil down each spark plug before storing it...

Oh - also - you can bet it will got for 'too much' money, as is often the case on ebay ;)
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 7:55 pm

It has been stashed outdoors and hasn't run for 10 years. I'd be very concerned about internal corrosion in the engine, particularly on the cams and followers and the bores and piston rings.

Agreed. 

Oh - also - you can bet it will got for 'too much' money, as is often the case on ebay Wink

I think at 730 it might be too much already!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 10:29 pm

I'll bet that this bike will be bought by some operator who will get it going and tidy up the rusty bits, then put it back on the market "Very low miles. As new. £2000"

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 10:34 pm

@Beresford wrote:I'll bet that this bike will be bought by some operator who will get it going and tidy up the rusty bits, then put it back on the market "Very low miles. As new. £2000"

Possibly, but I imagine it will sell for £900 ish. 

There's quite a bit of money to then be spent, to make it a £2k bike. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but there's a number of variables, that could make it difficult to be worthwhile.

I hope someone from here gets it, as it would be interesting to see the progress.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 10:36 pm

I got a reply from the seller, when I asked if the engine would turn over:

Hi John, 

I have not tried turning the engine over & would certainly not make any attempt to do so without first putting a very small drop of oil in each cylinder. 

However, I do not have time to do this, hence the sale. 

From memory, the rear wheel will turn when in gear but it is certainly very stiff. However this is to be expected - it is in gear after all. 

For your information, the bike has attracted 100 watchers on Ebay & I now have three separate cash bids. 

Two at £1,000 & another at £1,100 - all from cash buyers who will collect before the weekend. 

I am currently considering my options.

Thanks for your interest. 

Regards
David
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 4:23 am

Okay great - suddenly mine should be worth about two and half grand then.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

@trevor machine wrote:Okay great - suddenly mine should be worth about two and half grand then.

Don't tell your insurance - they'll hike the price :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:16 am