You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

New rider from France

ZekeVal
Running out of unique names

New rider from France

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 4:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Valentin, 25, currently in North-eastern France. I got my motorbike licence in mid-September, and finally got my first bike on the 1st of October, it's a 1998 (first registered in 1999) Yellow CB 500 S 
with 74,000km on the clock. The paint scheme is not my favourite, they went a bit too far in the 90's geek, but I'll learn to like it.

The bike was owned for the last 6 years by a very meticulous chap, who seemed to have looked after it very well.
The chain kit and the battery are new. It runs like a charm. It also has a LeoVince exhaust which sounds (and looks) quite good IMO.

I've just noticed an issue I need to tackle: the hand of the T° gauge got close to the red zone a few times, especially in city use.
After a ride, engine off, I heard a hissing sound, a bit like boiling water (but no spillage spotted) and the engine did feel hot to the touch.
I'll check the coolant level this weekend by removing the tank. I just hope it's not the thermostat stuck in the closed position...

Valentin.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: New rider from France

Post by sullivj on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 8:01 pm

Looks very nice, especially considering the distance it's covered.

These bikes very rarely get hot, often not even moving the needle, so it shouldn't be running that hot. Check the fan housing, and that the fan is working as it should.
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 8:34 pm

Yes, I kept reading that the needle barely gets off the "cold zone" normally.
Mine sure do! First thing I'll do this weekend is take it for a ride to warm it up (despite the cold ambient temperatures...)
and make sure the radiator gets warm, to rule out the stuck thermostat.
Later on I'll try and remove that tank to get access to the filler cap.
I'm hoping this behavior is simply due to some airlock/lack of coolant, it'd be easier to fix...

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 9:17 pm

I would check the coolant BEFORE you go for a ride. 

it may be worth bypassing the thermostat to check the fan is working too.
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 9:39 pm

Hi Valentin, welcome along. Nice looking cb you have there. Good luck with the overheating issue, hope it's something simple. Fairly easy to remove the tank & you can check the fan by pulling the wire of the thermo switch on the fan & earthing it with the ignition on - fan should spin
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 5:56 am

Thanks guys for the support, I'll try those things. Oh, did I mention it's my first time putting my hands in a motorcycle, so I'll go easy before f*ckin it up  geek
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 7:27 pm

@ZekeVal wrote:Oh, did I mention it's my first time putting my hands in a motorcycle, so I'll go easy before f*ckin it up  geek

Hehe.

Just don't shy away from working with the bike - it's a quite rewarding experience, you know. And very little of it is rocket science. Patience and proper tools will get you far.

Oh, and welcome. Your bike is my favourite colour and it looks awfully nice.
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 9:52 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!
My Haynes manual is on its way, it sure will become a favourite read.
Glad someone finally likes that paint scheme! But yaa, I have to admit it's starting to grow on me...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 10:08 am

Hello! That colour is a traditional 1990s motorcycle colour - everyone will know that you are a person of obvious style and taste who owns a motorcycle from the past :)

I bet your problem is the fan (at a guess).

If you get the opportunity then it is worth leaving the bike running, idle (after you have just been on a ride so it is already hot) and watching the temperature gauge rise.  When it gets to about 3/4 of the way to the top the fan should come one (before the red zone).  If you get to the red zone and the fan doesn't come on the fan system is broken in some way and needs fixing. You should also stop the test at this point before you do any damage!

If the fan doesn't work then the most likely cause is the earthing of the radiator - the radiator is supposed to be earthed to the bike frame via the radiator mounting bolts/lugs.  This allows the fan switch (the bolt thing stuck in the left-hand-side of the radiator) to connects its wire to earth when the water reaches the appropriate temperature.

Unfortunately the radiator bolts/lugs corrode and rust over time which causes them to insulate the radiator from the frame-earth, which in turn causes the fan to stop working.  The solution to this problem is to clean the radiator mountings of corrosion and/or fit an extra wire from some part of the frame to the radiator to act as a new ground.
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:50 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I managed to remove the tank and get access to the filler cap (not without some drama,
tank falling on the floor action...), I put around 1/2 litre of coolant back in there.
I drove quite a bit today (~100km), and the T° never went above the halfway mark
on the gauge while letting it idle on the centre stand for 5-10min after driving it hard in the twisties and some city driving.
While driving, it stayed barely above the Cold side of the gauge.

I was a bit concerned this lack of coolant could mean the engine was burning it/there was a leak somewhere.
But I called the previous owner, and it turns out he did a coolant flush and filled it (once)
before selling the bike, but he didn't check again after filling...

So I guess I found the culprit for that overheating (fingers crossed). I have quite a long journey tomorrow.

I'll see if there's any issue  geek
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:14 pm

After my 360km journey on Sunday, everything is still fine, so hopefully all is well!! (...'till something inevitably goes wrong...)

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm

Glad to hear you sorted it out.

Shame about the tank. I hope it didn't damage too much?
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:38 pm

It's not that bad: on the left where the fairing bolts onto the tank, the little "leg" was bent and some paint was scrapped off,
but it was bent back in place, and I'll probably need to protect the exposed metal from rusting in the future.
Otherwise, I just passed by a motorcycle shop tonight and ordered 2 brand new tyres (BT45).
I can't even see the tread in the middle of the rear one and and the front is almost to the TWI, so it was time ;p
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 9:15 pm

@ZekeVal wrote:It's not that bad: on the left where the fairing bolts onto the tank, the little "leg" was bent and some paint was scrapped off,
but it was bent back in place, and I'll probably need to protect the exposed metal from rusting in the future.
Otherwise, I just passed by a motorcycle shop tonight and ordered 2 brand new tyres (BT45).
I can't even see the tread in the middle of the rear one and and the front is almost to the TWI, so it was time ;p

If you want you can buy 'correct colour' touch-up paint which should hide it fairly well - however it is a little expensive.

BT45s are probably what most people would recommend; other tyres are available - search the forum for tyres and you will find out!

Glad to hear your bike seems fixed.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 10:18 pm

bt45's are great for all year round riding I'm going to be going back to them soon, s20 evos are the best for summer and dry riding but give little milage but are super sticky.
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 4:47 pm

I had forgotten about those touch-up pens, maybe I'll buy one of those. But honestly, you have to look closely to see
the scuffs since they're hidden from view in the fairing. And I don't mind a few scratches, it adds "character" to the bike Very Happy 
(and may act as a thief deterrent).

About the BT45s, I've read they were the go-to tyres on this bike, with a tendency to square off on the rear (you should see my rear...)
Michelin Pilot Road seem good as well, might try them next. I'm not a pilot, just got my license, just want decent grip for safety
and longevity if possible. Wish manufacturers would update their models in these sizes Razz

I plan to turn this bike into a light tourer and go around a few countries in the near future, I'll probably start with Luxembourg,
it's nearby and small enough to go round in a single day  Smile.

I just ordered a givi tankbag, with the tanklock system, I might do a review on this when I get it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 Aug 2018, 8:46 am