Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

new, but ambitious...

andrewcorey

new, but ambitious...

Post by andrewcorey on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 12:07 pm

Hello all,

first time poster and as yet, still not an owner of a CB500..

the reason I'm posting is because myself and a friend wish to take a trip to north Africa next year. In the ideas phase currently and as a result of a little research into what bikes are known for being dependable, the word 'bulletproof' came up alongside CB500s quite often. My friend (and BMW dealer) went one further and used 'bombproof'... So, here goes:

We are thinking of buying a couple of CB500s and getting them 'adventure ready' but the budget is rather small and we know very little between us about mechanics.. We are however, really keen to learn and are thinking of renting a garage space between us and learning all about the bike, upgrading certain parts etc. I've read on blogs about people buying them for £500 and doing them up before going.

Question is really, if we go ahead with this plan, what considerations should we give to 1) buying the bikes (ideally around £750 each, poss. up to £1000) 2) what modifications should we consider making 3) where is the best source of info for beginners? (I can remove and clean/ replace brake pads, that's about my limit currently!)..

time frame wise, probably looking at leaving march next year..

are we ambitious or insane?

many thanks,

Andy

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: new, but ambitious...

Post by sullivj on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm

You're not insane.  It's a good choice of bike to take.

Have a look here.  'Snipers' CB500 is well travelled already:

http://shaw2shore.co.uk/meet-the-team/
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:07 pm

Vouch for ROD's website as Sulli said it's quiet useful for ideas and they've had the experience so improved ideas
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:20 pm

Welcome to the asylum. No, you're not insane. None of us are, and those nice young men in their clean white coats are our friends. I'm sure of it...
You might want to have a look at this place.
This may also be worth a read: The Ted Simon Foundation.
And this: Sam Manicom - Links
This: Bernd Tesch...

Both Sam Manicom and Ted Simon have been where you plan to go - on a motorcycle. They should know about this stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:40 pm