Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

three things you dislike about the cb500

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

three things you dislike about the cb500

Post by trevor machine on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:42 pm

List three things you dislike about the '90s CB500. Mine are:

i). Bit crampy ergos, legs-wise. I would sacrifice some peg height for two or three inches greater seat-to-peg measurement. I've never had the pegs down and so I probably never will. The smallest my chicken strips have ever been is about 5mm. I don't *need* that relatively generous clearance. Gimme more leg room I say. Love the upper body positioning though - no gripes there.

ii). I wish the clocks were two separate, equal sized dials. Partly for looks, partly a practical thing for easier replacement.

iii). Horn's a bit feeble. Consistent with loads of other bikes, but still. A louder, twin tone w/two separate horns pitched differently would sound better and not add much weight. I'd sacrifice bar end weights for that. personally - as neither of my bikes have them and I don't find them vibey on the hands.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: three things you dislike about the cb500

Post by sullivj on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

This isn't easy as it's a GREAT bike.

I wish:

- The quality of paint used on the engine casings had been better.
- The side stand was a little longer.
- It had a fuel gauge.

I would have added the horn point too, but I've sorted mine for a MUCH louder one.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 4:00 pm

Other bikers dissing my ride.

Other road users giving no respect.

And yeah horn is lame.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 5:37 pm

1. Horn is crap but I am buying a Jerryfudd style horn as we speak.

2. I am 6.2 so probably not all the bikes fault but cramped for me. I installed bar risers which are a god send and highly recommended. Has anyone successfully changed the foot peg position? I know the racers have a different peg position but more seat to peg distance would really help.

3. Maybe vibeyness but it is a small twin so its probably smoother than anyone has a right to expect.

I like there being no fuel gauge. The accuracy of the gauges is usually rubbish and everyone else I know who has a fuel gauge also has no reserve in the tank. They have all run out of a fuel at one point or another... The trip odometer does work fine for me but saying that, I would like 2 trip odometers if one is always being used to gauge fuel.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 6:21 pm

Engine paint 
Seat room with a pillion on is cramped but is fine without (I'm 6ft 2")
engine torque isn't that good with a pillion
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 7:28 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:1. Horn is crap but I am buying a Jerryfudd style horn as we speak..

I thought he has the oem one?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 7:31 pm

General finish not good  paint frame&  engine ..compared to my 96 fireblade then again blade not budget commuter tool  or assembled in italy,  the rear caliper bracket...take off the rear wheel to get caliper off( who ever designed that like to punch them in the throat) and ordering  rear wheel bearings for 97 model and sproket bearing is the one off drum brake... nissin front brake..drum brake...brembo...too much changes but saying that i love the cb.... oh and no street cred... for great  twin....those who dont like it never ridden one
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 7:58 pm

Yeah - they're definitely better for knowing. However, even then, I think you have to have room in your heart for the underdog, and be able to embrace the fact that you're always riding the damn thing. It does have an appetite for the next gear, the next fine throttle adjustment. And there's no slouching around admiring the view, then winding on globs of torque and/or power if/when the need arises. Its very modest muscle and relatively hard-working engine mean, if you want to be keeping a little bit ahead of the traffic, you need decent coffee, sustained concentration and quite decently formulated overtaking strategies. You basically have to be quite a keen hunter because there's not exactly a bottomless well of go to draw on if you cock it up.

However, it is nice to come by stuff and have that engine braking work for you when slotting back in. Also, the bike is really quite happy at walking speeds and below - where the ergos, geometry and weight make town shit borderline pleasurable.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 7:58 pm

Completely forgot about the rear wheel as wornsprokets said, that's the most hated part of the bike for me.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 8:42 pm

1. The clutch and brake levers are a bit far away from the bars for me.

2. After installing renthal bars I find the original ones to be too narrow.

3. Years before getting one I saw a CB 500 and I though that must be the  dullest and most unimpressive bike ever made. I still think so , but that would also be on the list of the things I love about it.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 9:16 pm

@hh_12345 wrote:3. Years before getting one I saw a CB 500 and I though that must be the  dullest and most unimpressive bike ever made. I still think so , but that would also be on the list of the things I love about it.

lol yeah same
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:07 pm

The corroding engine mounting bolts.
The crap that gathers in inaccessable places around the hubs, on the engine behind the rad and at the front of the swing arm.
The pegs and brackets made of cheese.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 9:13 pm

My first same as this:
i). Bit crampy ergos, legs-wise. I would sacrifice some peg height for two or three inches greater seat-to-peg measurement. I've never had the pegs down and so I probably never will. The smallest my chicken strips have ever been is about 5mm. I don't *need* that relatively generous clearance. Gimme more leg room I say. Love the upper body positioning though - no gripes there. 

Others are quite minor:

Second:
Inability to easily remove the seat from the bike completely once you've unlocked it. Just find it annoying having to prop it and have it in the way when I'm doing something to battery etc.

Third:
The way the wheel wheel becomes unaligned from your careful adjustment when you torque up the axle nut.

2. I am 6.2 so probably not all the bikes fault but cramped for me. I installed bar risers which are a god send and highly recommended. Has anyone successfully changed the foot peg position? I know the racers have a different peg position but more seat to peg distance would really help.

Beresford did it originally and I copied but you can get pegs that are slightly cranked and therefore lower. Only a couple cm difference from stock pegs but helps with the knee angle. There is a post on them somewhere because you also need to adjust the gear lever (easy) and brake pedal (bit more fiddly).

He also raised his seat by adding foam from a sleeping mat and re-covered it. I did the same, it worked for a while but eventually the sleeping mat foam deformed and it became uncomfortable so back to the stock saddle for now (which I've kind of gotten used to).

If I was to name the single best upgrade I'd prob say the Renthals.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:00 pm

@ceejay wrote:

Second:
Inability to easily remove the seat from the bike completely once you've unlocked it. Just find it annoying having to prop it and have it in the way when I'm doing something to battery etc.

Ceejay, you can just pull the seat off. I never realised this either, until someone showed me.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:08 pm

Can you?! How? 

First I solved my wind noise problem and now this news, makes me wonder what else I don't know  Very Happy
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:34 pm

@ceejay wrote:Can you?! How? 

First I solved my wind noise problem and now this news, makes me wonder what else I don't know  Very Happy

Use the key to release the seat. Lift it to about 45 degrees, and then you sort of twist it and pull it towards the front of the bike. Give it a good yank and it will come off.

Towards the rear of the bike, is a bar that the seat connects to.  By twisting it slightly, you're releasing the clamps off that bar.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:55 am

Huh cool
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 5:33 pm

@sullivj wrote:
@liverpool_f_ wrote:1. Horn is crap but I am buying a Jerryfudd style horn as we speak..

I thought he has the oem one?

it isn't oem but certainly nothing special - maybe confused with the fog horn on yours? Very Happy
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:03 pm

I did mean sulli's horn. I get your screen names mixed up as you are both owners of pristine cb's!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:25 am