Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

encounters w/ 1200GSs

stormbringer

Re: encounters w/ 1200GSs

Post by stormbringer on Sat 01 Oct 2016, 10:44 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Like - but why do they always have those stupid passenger kennels stuck on the side.

They don't. Here's one that looks quite normal: Solo.

Actually, Irbit makes all kinds of versions; from those with a machine-gun-mount to the full-on chopper. And they have EFI too, you know.

Still, it's a beemer-ripoff. Presented to the russians by the Wehrmacht sometime 1941. And no, in this particular case I have no sympathy for the germans. They should not have taken their beemers to russia in the first place. So, it serves 'em right, me thinks.

In any case, you can buy a beemer at a discount. A little bit oldskool, but still... I'm inclined to think 'genuine article' here.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 02 Oct 2016, 6:49 am

@stormbringer wrote:

@trevor machine wrote:Like - but why do they always have those stupid passenger kennels stuck on the side.

it's a beemer-ripoff. Presented to the russians by the Wehrmacht sometime 1941. And no, in this particular case I have no sympathy for the germans. They should not have taken their beemers to russia in the first place. So, it serves 'em right, me thinks.

haha - agreed
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm

@sullivj wrote:My R1200 RT is basically a GS with a coat on - do you ignore me too?

I like the GS, and it handles REALLY well on the road for such a big bike, but they do have a bit of a stigma attached to them, as you've proven.

Of course we wouldn't ignore you!

The snag is that the 'people' who ride 'those' bikes do, in my experience, often live up to a certain kind of stereotype which doesn't do the more reasonable/likeable among them any good.

It doesn't mean that 'they' are all like 'that' - which is why stereotypes are awful things, especially when used to judge others, but I can see how these things develop.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 02 Oct 2016, 7:19 pm

I went to the supermarket today and came out to find one of these parked beside the CB.

It's one beemer that I would like.
It was a bit scratched and had done 75000 miles
skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 8:15 am

it's even uglier than ugly. They broke the ugly stick using it on this....
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

@skyerae wrote:it's even uglier than ugly. They broke the ugly stick using it on this....

I think it's one of those bikes that looks best when the rider is on it. The shape is more balanced then. However, accepting your reservations, I'd settle for an R90S instead.

skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 2:51 pm

I am not saying nothing (and to the English professors out there I know this is a double negative!)
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 3:09 pm

I get more waves and nods back from cruiser riders than what I ever have people on "adventure" bikes. Most I've seen are usually triumphs or bmw's, the dales is packed full of them but I've never seen any that have actually gone off road.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 8:19 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote: Most I've seen are usually triumphs or bmw's, the dales is packed full of them but I've never seen any that have actually gone off road.

The big adventure bikes are really just heavy tourers with that kind of style. I believe that the lighter ones when they have suitable tyres can do it fairly well, though they are never going to be great cross country machines. I'm thinking of the 800 Triumph Tigers, the similar sized BMWs and the reams of swift KTMs - and of course, the new Africa Twin..
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 8:58 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@sullivj wrote:My R1200 RT is basically a GS with a coat on - do you ignore me too?

I like the GS, and it handles REALLY well on the road for such a big bike, but they do have a bit of a stigma attached to them, as you've proven.

Of course we wouldn't ignore you!

The snag is that the 'people' who ride 'those' bikes do, in my experience, often live up to a certain kind of stereotype which doesn't do the more reasonable/likeable among them any good.

It doesn't mean that 'they' are all like 'that' - which is why stereotypes are awful things, especially when used to judge others, but I can see how these things develop.

It's true, I'm not really bothered what people ride, being happy is the main thing so my thoughts should be taken lightly but it's just the 'lifestyle' and whole image thing that comes with GS that is... interesting in terms of what it reveals about people. It obviously works because they sell so well! Despite the RT being similar it's not trying to be something it's not (an offroad bike) and is probably the bike a lot of GS rider's would be better off riding if image wasn't such a consideration. What do you gain with a GS over an RT?

They don't. Here's one that looks quite normal: Solo.

Actually, Irbit makes all kinds of versions; from those with a machine-gun-mount to the full-on chopper. And they have EFI too, you know.

Very cool! Our bikes don't even have EFI  Very Happy
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:09 pm

Most people I know who have GSs' wouldn't take them off road - they're FAR too heavy.

As for what do you get on a GS that you don't get on an RT - that's a good question. You probably get less with a GS. Certainly less fairing, and a manual screen adjuster, whereas the RT is electric.

I wanted a tourer to replace my CBF600, so the GS was never an option. I was choosing between the Pan Euro and the RT. I heard a few horror stories about 'Pan Weave' (wobbling at high speed), so the RT got my vote.
skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:11 pm

You can go "high speed" on a Pan?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:18 pm

I regret to say it but if there was a bike which was comfortable for me to tour on, it would be enormous !!! So one must compromise. Those Harleys y'know, they're just for wee short a**ses Razz
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 10:07 pm

@skyerae wrote:You can go "high speed" on a Pan?

Apparently, it was mostly a problem over 90mph, so never a problem on English roads ;-)
skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 6:19 am

Well, as we are are all law-abiding citizens it would never be an issue. Of course living in a police state has nothing to do with it....................  :-/
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 7:36 am

There is a guy on youtube who I watch and he uses the ktm 1190 and he uses it properly https://www.youtube.com/user/ARiemann1
balth
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by balth on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 9:41 pm

My other bike is an F650, the "funduro" :/ I take it off road a lot and it's about the heaviest bike I've ridden, or would like to, off road. It's really good on and off tarmac. Doesn't have quite as much speed as my cb, but accelerates almost as well and handles pretty good. I do feel like a total wanker riding it though. All lawdy dah, look at me on my BMW. Cost me £900 and the BMW garage look at me like I'm scum when I go there

I reckon most of the folks riding their 15k adventure bikes don't let them see the rain, never mind dirt. But I have seen some of those 1150's being ridden off road like it was nothing. IMO 650 is perfect for an actual on road/off road bike.

The CB500 is so much more fun to ride on the roads. I don't think even the big bmw's could compare, but then I'm biased.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 9:51 pm

Yes i nearly bought f650 funduro but i couldnt get a cheap one,  i was also looking at cs650 the one with belt drive and funky looks....but same thing i couldnt get cheap one and ones i could get had problems and seller refuse to drop price according ...but i got great cb  at good price in end so i am happy... bmws not convinced sorry.... africa twin... if u need that type of bike..
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:28 pm

I always think that the new f800gs looks like a better bike than the 1200. Off road you get rid of 40kg and a ton of width and on road it might be 1/2% not as good but it is still a super capable road bike. You still get all the toys as well if you want.

I have been thinking about something else recently. I have been wondering which model of bike has the most capable/best riders and which models have the worst. I think I came to the conclusion that the 1200gs is the model that has the best average rider skill. Maybe fireblades are the worst just because so many of them are owned by people who think cbr600's are too slow for road riding. Wornsprockets excluded of course!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:49 am

He he, i love my old fireblade but 16inch front  wheel can cause some mad handling, if the tyre pressure not checked regularly...ive cbr 400 gull arm 17inch front wheel to goes straight in...when front tyre wears out...i think cbr 600's are amazing bikes( not mad about rr) i gladly have 92 to 98 cbr 600 in the shed...thats why i was thinking of hornet 600 last while as its detuned cbr 600 engine...and no fairing...i think newer fireblades too fast now dont make sense 150hp plus now...is new one 180hp Shocked.... if u want off road bike i use to have xr 250 or simular ktm...why have one bike when u can have a couple...(i aint rich.)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 05 Oct 2016, 1:17 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:why have one bike when u can have a couple...(i aint rich.)
Ahh yes....or 3...or more.....the secret seems to be getting a multi-bike insurance package.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:26 am