Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Spluttering & cutting out

Vaynes

Spluttering & cutting out

Post by Vaynes on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 10:32 am

Hi guys,

My 1994 CB500 workhorse has just developed a problem with what feels like the fuel system. 
It was running a bit rough when i first started my journey to work this morning, about 1/4 mile in it picked up and ran normally but then started to cough and splutter until it cut out coming to a stop at a junction.  I managed to get it started again after a few minutes of pushing it back up the hill and limped it home.

Its been pretty damp the past few days so i sprayed the plugs and ht leads with wd40, old trick i know but it seemed to help a bit.  I've just run it again for a short distance, no cutting out this time but it was spluttering when accelerating from junctions.

Pulling back into the garden i noticed oily fuel has been coming out one of the breather pipes.

Also the exhaust back box has just blown today Sad

I'm not the most mechanically minded person so any advice on where to start with this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rich
Vaynes

Re: Spluttering & cutting out

Post by Vaynes on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 11:39 am

I've checked the air filter, there was a bit of soot inside but nothing dramatic, it will idle fine with the filter removed whereas before it was cutting straight out.

There was a little oil in the filter housing.

I took the bike for a short ride without the filter on and it seemed a lot better, until i realised i hadn't turned the fuel switch back to on....  It started spluttering again after the fuel was turned back on.

Drain the tank???

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 12:51 pm

Have a look inside the tank with a torch.  A few of the older bikes may be suffering from rust.  There is a strainer in place that is supposed to filter the fuel - sometimes they get dislodged.  It could be that.
Vaynes

Post by Vaynes on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 1:19 pm

I've had a look but can't even see the point it should drain from, Theres no visible rust in the tank.

Definite oil coming from a breather pipe under the bike now.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 1:59 pm

Could the oil be coming from the expansion tank breather?

Check the oil level at the dipstick - is that normal?
Vaynes

Post by Vaynes on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 2:14 pm

The oil level is fine but its got a really strong smell of petrol
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 6:18 pm

If you think it is fuelling, check the hose that goes from the engine to the fuel tap. That is a vacuum hose to operate the atop. If your hose is old/cracked/degraded the vacuum may not be very strong and it may be the tap is not being fully opened
Vaynes

Post by Vaynes on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 7:18 pm

Honestly I don't have a clue what to think the problem is.

I'll check the fuel lines tomorrow night and see how they look.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 8:08 pm

Have you removed the tank lately? Could you have pinched one of the hoses?
Vaynes

Post by Vaynes on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm

Been riding 10 years and never had the need to take a tank off before, like I said I'm not mechanically minded Razz

I can follow instructions from a haynes manual perfectly well but I wouldn't be taking stuff off just for the hell of it.
Alvi
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm

This sounds a bit like a problem I had with my bike. I got it from a neighbour as a non-runner,unused for several years & struggled to get it going. When I removed the dipstick thin black stuff smelling of petrol poured out. The tank must have emptied into the sump. I checked the fuel tap & removed & cleaned the carbs & it started & ran fine,until I refitted the airbox rubbers (removed to get the carbs off). At this point, I removed the air filter & it ran ok again. Suspect carbs overflowed,filling sump & damaging filter on the way. Unfortunately I chucked the filter with some other stuff before I got chance to open it up & have a look. I got the bike back on the road, but a few weeks later the sump seemed to have betrol in it,so I replaced the fuel tap,even though I couldn't see anything wrong with it. That was 18 months & 10k miles ago & it's been fine since. SoI think the tap wasthe cause of my problems all along.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 2:57 am