Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Ear Plugs

freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Ear Plugs

Post by freeride on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 9:33 pm

I always use the cheap disposable ear plugs and even though I've watched how to put them in on you tube 20 times I still struggle. Does any one use another type/brand they can recommend? Yes you should wear ear plugs.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Ear Plugs

Post by ashcroc on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 2:06 am

I use a set of auritech 'biker' earplugs. I find them comfortable & can hear the satnav/phone/music fine through my headset plus they're quite easy to clean.  The only drawback is the price (£20 @ amazon) but they've lasted me over a year with no signs of wearing out so I wouldn't call them bad value.
Grarea
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Grarea on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 8:16 am

They look interesting.
I do find the foam ones a bit disorientating.
How do you find them at high speeds?

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:51 pm

Hi,
I use uvex ones, you can get a bagfull pretty cheap on fleabay. They last a few rides and are grippy enough to stay in. The lime green ones fit larger diameter earholes than the pink ones. Both scrunch up smaller than most other plugs I've tried.

If the plug is too big you'll forever be trying to get it comfortable. Earholes aren't horizontal to the ground either.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 8:02 pm

I've just ordered two different types of disposable ones, having read a few reviews.

I was tempted by the auritech ones, but the reviewers were saying that the tails are annoyingly short, which would make removal difficult.
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 11:24 pm

I started with a tester pack, 20 different pairs for a tenner from earplugsbypost.com that helped refine the ones that worked best.

I'd love to know if these are any good though:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584645150/isolate-switch-off-your-ears

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 6:17 am

Available next month it seems.

Which ones did you decide upon from your tester pack?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 9:25 am

@Grarea wrote:They look interesting.
I do find the foam ones a bit disorientating.
How do you find them at high speeds?

I find them fine.

When I first tried them i was a bit disconcerted by how quiet my music & satnav sounded when off the bike but even at 70+ i can still hear both fine. While I can still hear my bike & surrounding traffic it's greatly reduced so as not to be overbearing.  Wind noise is virtually nonexistent too.

As for other reviews about the length of the tails, I've never personally had a problem with installing or removing them & it feels like if they were any longer they could start interfering with the side of my lid.  Some of the foam ones I've used in the past certainly did.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:37 pm

For the first time ever today, I tried a pair of foam, disposable plugs.

No issue with entry, discomfort or removal BUT...

They are very good at cancelling the wind noise, but so good, it also seems to dumb down your hearing too much IMO.  

A bit like Spiderman must feel, when only one of his wrist web throwers isn't working!  You just know it's not quite right. 

I will persevere, because I don't want to ruin my hearing.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 01 Oct 2016, 8:31 pm

It does take a little while to get used to earplugs. I had previously thought that you might miss some vital early warning when wearing them; I don't think this is the case having used them quite a bit - anyway, if you don't use them you'll end up missing everything by being deaf!

I use the disposable foam ones (various brands) - they do vary a bit, so it's worth trying a few different ones. I tend to only put them in for long, high speed journeys - the reduction in noise also helps with combating fatigue.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Sat 01 Oct 2016, 9:03 pm

In the past I've bought some kind of ear plug putty on eBay where you put the two materials together put it in your ear for 20 mins to set then you have permanent ear plugs moulded for your ears. it was cheap and I found they worked okay noise reduction wise but for me the real advantage was that they didn't ever ache after long periods like the normal foam disposable ones do for me. Might be an option for some. 

I've just looked and I can't find it on eBay anymore - slightly worrying they were probably made of some highly toxic banned material!   Smile

Anyways I stopped using them in favour of in-ear earphones which I find block a bit of noise and I have the option of playing music on the motorways. I bought an in-line volume control that can be used with gloves and mounted it to my bars so at slower speeds or in town I can adjust the volume or turn it off.
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Sun 02 Oct 2016, 10:51 pm

I like the 3m orange ones, but the wife lies different ones. It's all about what fits. Fair point on losing the finer elements of hearing-I find establishing the source of noise (like incoming sirens) a lot trickier. But three hours of riding a day means I always wear em
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 7:09 pm

Ive always used max lite plus. They work for me, might not for everyone. Its all about putting them in properly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-SOFT-FOAM-EAR-PLUGS-10-PAIRS-OF-HOWARD-LEIGHT-MAX-LITE-EARPLUGS-SNR-34dB-/262253835399?hash=item3d0f8bf487:g:0sQAAOSwCypWoBD5

http://www.moldex.com/non-product/fit-instructions/hearing/foam-earplug.php
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm

@arrison wrote:Ive always used max lite plus. They work for me, might not for everyone. Its all about putting them in properly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-SOFT-FOAM-EAR-PLUGS-10-PAIRS-OF-HOWARD-LEIGHT-MAX-LITE-EARPLUGS-SNR-34dB-/262253835399?hash=item3d0f8bf487:g:0sQAAOSwCypWoBD5

http://www.moldex.com/non-product/fit-instructions/hearing/foam-earplug.php

That moldex link has got it right. You need to be not afraid of putting them right into your ear canal (as per the picture).

It certainly is about how you put it in (said the actress to the bishop! boom boom) - I find that you can 'feel' when they are properly in, also, if they are fitted correctly, the level of sound reduction should be such that you really notice for a few minutes until you get used to it (i.e. if you don't notice the difference chances are it isn't in properly!).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:18 pm