Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Demystifying bias ply vs radial tyres

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Demystifying bias ply vs radial tyres

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 1:48 pm

I have gotten very confused about reading about bias ply and radial tyres. This short video nails the difference;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJxSlls-tA

Makes me wonder about the BT45's that all all love so well. As far as I know they are bias ply and from what the video says radial would be much better suited. I bought a Michelin for the rear based on price and I am actually very impressed. I don't know the model but it may well be radial. If it proves to be durable, I think that will be my new go to.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Demystifying bias ply vs radial tyres

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 9:08 am

Yes, BT-45 are bias ply:

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/moto/ranges/battlax/bt-45/

As they mentioned 'high speed' (in terms of radial tyres being better) is 150 mph! So this may not be such a factor on a CB500 Smile

Also, I think in terms of weight and performance our bike very much comes up in large cross-over area where it might be hard to say whether a radial or bias-ply is best; it probably very much depends on the specifics (other than the ply arrangement) of the tyre involved.

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 9:22 am

It seems strange to me that bias ply tyres are considered archaic technology from half a century ago when it comes to cars, yet they are perfectly viable for bikes. You could argue that bikes put a lot more stress on their tyres. I wonder why the same manufacturers have stuck with it for motorcycles.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:32 am

@liverpool_f_ wrote:It seems strange to me that bias ply tyres are considered archaic technology from half a century ago when it comes to cars, yet they are perfectly viable for bikes. You could argue that bikes put a lot more stress on their tyres. I wonder why the same manufacturers have stuck with it for motorcycles.

Yes, it is slightly odd.

The loading that bikes put on tyres is rather different - I suspect that the whole leaning over when cornering thing means that the possible transition between the radial and not-radial part makes radial tyres more complicated/difficult to manufacture for bikes compared to cars.

I think it's a matter of using the best technology for which ever application.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:26 pm