Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Clutch has no tension

Chris_e

Clutch has no tension

Post by Chris_e on Sun 11 Sep 2016, 5:16 pm

Hi everyone, I recently replaced the clutch plates on my 95 CB500. After putting everything back together the cable has no tension in it whatsoever. I can easily pull the lever back to the bar and it'll just stay there until I push it back. I've tried adjusting it at both ends but no luck.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Clutch has no tension

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 11 Sep 2016, 8:37 pm

Just had a quick look at the Haynes 'book of lies' and noticed that on page 2.28 there is a nice picture of the spring that is on the end of the clutch release shaft:

Off the top of my head I suspect that it might be possible not align the push-rod and the shaft so that it all doesn't work.... just a thought.  Plus it is quite easy to check/fiddle with this by just popping the cover off again.

Also Haynes says something about locating the spring in the lower end of the shaft, which might help.

If you haven't got a Haynes there should be a download link on the forum ;)

Good luck getting it to work again.
Chris_e

Post by Chris_e on Sun 11 Sep 2016, 8:57 pm

I was hoping it would be the spring but I had it installed the same way as in the manual, been searching through the Haynes but can't find any mention of what it could be. Will take it apart again tomorrow and start again!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 7:56 am

Chris_e wrote:I was hoping it would be the spring but I had it installed the same way as in the manual, been searching through the Haynes but can't find any mention of what it could be. Will take it apart again tomorrow and start again!

Sounds like a good idea. I haven't had the fun of taking my clutch apart yet (It will go eventually - mine is only a '97 so I'm only two years behind!), so I can't offer much more insight.

However, here's a thought:

I don't know this (hopefully someone that does will come along) but I think the spring pictured is the one at keeps the cable in tension, and I think the 'cover assembly' (the cover, shaft, push-rod and spring) should operate 'normally' even when disconnected i.e. it should spring back such that it would be pulling on the cable, assuming you have put it together correctly.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 8:16 am

Yes, the Rod should be under spring tension, even when not connected to the cable. Drop the oil and take the cover off - hopefully it will become obvious what's wrong.

I expect the bottom of the spring isn't in the hole within the Rod.

Just a random thought - could the cable have snapped?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 8:23 am

See, I knew someone who would actually know would appear...
Chris_e

Post by Chris_e on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:46 am

The spring is definitely in correctly as it "pulls" the arm back to where it should be if the cable was pulling it. I have a friend coming over later so I'll try and get some photos if we still can't sort it. Thanks for the replies guys

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 4:25 pm

If i remember rightly (it was some time ago,), there is a little 'top hat' piece that sits in the hole in the centre. The Rod pushes the top hat up and down.

Could it be that the top hat isn't in place or properly installed maybe?

Chris_e

Post by Chris_e on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the cable has stretched and got snagged somewhere along its length so ordered a new one and hopefully it'll be that. Thanks for the suggestions guys I checked them all out and all seem ok
Joey_23

Post by Joey_23 on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 7:16 pm

Did you resolve this?  I've just replaced my clutch plates and springs and have the same issue - the little spring and top hat are in correctly, but there is no tension on the clutch plates.  Have adjusted the cable all the way out and still nothing...Have taken apart again and re tightened the plate which holds the springs to 12nm as the manual states and it just aint playing ball!
Chris_e

Post by Chris_e on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 12:04 pm

Joey_23 wrote:Did you resolve this?  I've just replaced my clutch plates and springs and have the same issue - the little spring and top hat are in correctly, but there is no tension on the clutch plates.  Have adjusted the cable all the way out and still nothing...Have taken apart again and re tightened the plate which holds the springs to 12nm as the manual states and it just aint playing ball!

Hi Joey, yes I did. I tightened the plate to 12nm and I think that was the problem, I took the damn thing apart so many times the weekend I did my clutch it was driving me insane! After tightening the plate so it was just hand tight it worked perfectly. I've only ridden about 300 miles since then but its been perfect ever since.
Joey_23

Post by Joey_23 on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 9:03 pm

Thank you Chris.  I got is sorted in the end, took it apart and put it back together and it seems to have sorted it out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:38 pm