Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

marving exhaust

hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

marving exhaust

Post by hh_12345 on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:34 pm

Hello, does anyone have a marving exhaust fitted to their bike?

http://en.marving.com/cb-500-1993gt;-bicilindrica---bicylindrical/accessories/single-homologated-cilyndrical-%C3%98-114-end-muffler-black-chromium-plated-199.html

I wonder if it as quiet and 'beepy' as the oem exhaust, or it only shares the looks with the original.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: marving exhaust

Post by ashcroc on Thu 08 Sep 2016, 1:25 am

Iirc they,re OE on either the drum or disc version.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Thu 08 Sep 2016, 7:05 am

Great, thank you , ashcroc.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 08 Sep 2016, 5:08 pm

Wow that really does look like the original one. My original one says 'SOLFER' on it, but I could quite imagine that the one pictured on that page is the original one.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Thu 08 Sep 2016, 9:15 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:Wow that really does look like the original one.  My original one says 'SOLFER' on it, but I could quite imagine that the one pictured on that page is the original one.

There is a slight difference at both ends, there seems to be an extra joint on the back of the OE and the front of the original has some cuts to help the pipe shrink under the bracket.

Mine has a ''H1 MY5 E1" "honda" on it.

Sadly I recently  missed an inexpensive new original exhaust on e-bay, and also a pair of new carbs that would have contributed to  a life time commitment to the cb No Very Happy
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:05 pm

The original exhaust has catalyst.

Does the marving have catalyst? This is important.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:23 pm

The original exhaust on the CB didn't have a cat, they came in with the CBF as I recall.
That's why despite having a one litre larger tank the tank range was smaller. Never worked out how burning more fuel reduces emissions!
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:23 pm

Seriously? Ok.. I thought that It had a catalyst.. Then the marving exhaust would be a good option if you like the original one,  but you dont want to spend much money.
Busby
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Busby on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 12:03 am

Didn't Honda do a change to the emissions to the CB engine from 2001 onwards? Reason I think this is, as pre 2001 bikes Honda will not issue a CoC as these bikes did not conform with EU emission standards.
GollyGosh
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 3:25 pm

DVLA have four classifications for CB500

1994 - 2001 CB500
1994 - 2001 CB500S
2001 on CB500-2
2001 on CB500S-2

So DVLA considers there to have been a significant change.

From the Moto Revue article

"At 150,000 km, in 2001, the CB 500 was first introduced to the bench: 55.6 hp at 9,010 rpm, while a 2001 vintage with 14,500 km delivers on the same bench 54.7 hp at 9,250 rpm."

Could the difference in performance be due to a change to reduce emissions?

In answer to the OP, The exhaust is Homologated i.e. certified to match the O.E. for sound level and back pressure.  Further more it matches the 93-95 exhaust only which was then superseded in 96. The new part number remained unchanged from 96 to 2002. So no cat here then...

On CMSNL the 96-on is pictured showing 'H1 MY5 E1 Honda' and Solfer.  I can't get to my 94 CB5 for a few days to see what is stamped on it's original exhaust.

WEMOTO offer the Marving H/2152/NC exhaust for all years. So what changed between 95 and 96?

Edit: Fuel Exhausts only supply to fit from 96 onwards ??
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:07 pm

DVLA classifications are wrong. 

The major change was in 1997 when the rear end was changed to disc - this also included modification of the frame, swingarm, wheel, rear footpeg change.

The cb500s was only introduced in 1998, with again a frame change, and different clocks.

The cb500-2 was as far as I know only the decal scheme change. 

The euro 2 emissions is the reason why the cb500 was killed off and replaced with the cbf500. 

As for the 94-96 exhaust suspended production, this is when the manufacturing of the cb500 stopped been done in Japan (excluding the engine) and moved to Italy. It would have been cheaper and more practical to have them made in Europe than Japan simply because of the costs involved with that
GollyGosh
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 10:02 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:DVLA classifications are wrong. 

I believe you're right.  They ignored the model years R to Y but when it changed to a '2' (instead of a Z) they probably though it was a mk2 Smile

In answer to @busby Euro 2 came in to effect for bikes and trikes registered in 2004 onwards.  If I understand it correctly Euro 1 only applied to cars and light trucks - not m/bikes

"At 150,000 km, in 2001, the CB 500 was first introduced to the bench: 55.6 hp at 9,010 rpm, while a 2001 vintage year with 14,500 km delivers on the same bench 54.7 hp at 9,250 rpm."

Would the difference in performance be due to a change to reduce emissions the 2001 engine still being tight?

To get back on topic, would a Fuel Exhaust (96-on) fit a 93-95 cb5 ?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 10:23 pm

Yes, it'll fit
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm

About the Marving Exhaust..

Is it just as quiet and efficient as the original? I think I'll buy it, but I need security in this respect.
GollyGosh
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 2:26 pm

On numerous western European websites the exhaust is described as 'Homologated' i.e. certified to match the O.E. for sound level and back pressure.

also described as compliant with European approval E3 Cap. 9.

The "E" mark is the proof of compliance with directives (laws) required by the European Union.
The "3", refers to the country where tested, = Italy
"Cap. 9", certifies the 'innards' are not modified/tampered with.
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm

GollyGosh wrote:On numerous western European websites the exhaust is described as 'Homologated' i.e. certified to match the O.E. for sound level and back pressure.

also described as compliant with European approval E3 Cap. 9.

The "E" mark is the proof of compliance with directives (laws) required by the European Union.
The "3", refers to the country where tested, = Italy
"Cap. 9", certifies the 'innards' are not modified/tampered with.

Ok, technically is certified and homologated, but i need "first hand information" about the exhaust (impresions, performance, sound, etc..)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm