Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

How NOT to do an oil change....!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

How NOT to do an oil change....!

Post by sullivj on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 7:25 pm

1/ Get the bike SO hot, that you burn yourself on the exhaust, whilst trying to undo the sump bolt.

2/ Leave the oil draining into an oil pan, whilst you return to the house to have dinner.

3/ Return to the garage to realise that the oil pan split whilst in storage, and that you now have a 3 litre oil lake on the garage floor!

Grrrrrrrrr.......
Jameshambleton

Re: How NOT to do an oil change....!

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 7:47 pm

How do you burn yourself on the exhaust if the sump plug is on the opposite side of the bike?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm

By doing it from the wrong side!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 8:41 pm

@sullivj wrote:Grrrrrrrrr.......

Be at peace Sully. You have now learned that you are a polisher, not a fixer.
Rolling Eyes
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 8:45 pm

Ah fuck - what a total disaster. At least you didn't set the socket wrench to the wrong direction and accidentally tighten instead of loosen the sump plug, so much that you crack the entire sump pan. I have nearly done something similar - the only thing that saved me was the fact that my sockets were made of such terribly soft steel that it actually stripped and cracked the socket before doing any damage to anything else! Something to be said for buying the cheapest, shittest tools sometimes.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:08 pm

@Beresford wrote:

Rolling Eyes

You are SO right!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 6:21 pm

@Beresford wrote:

:roll:

However true this may or may-not be, I try to treat these things as learning exercises: I'm guessing you won't be having these same problem again! (there will almost definitely be a next time you change the oil...)

Small tip: even when the whole exhaust system has cooled such that you can safely touch it the oil will still be hot enough to drain easily, so this is just a case of more haste less speed.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 8:03 pm

Thanks ET. You're right that it won't happen again... I've just ordered a new oil pan - one that drains into a container that you can then empty at the recycling place.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 8:52 pm

@sullivj wrote:I've just ordered a new oil pan - one that drains into a container that you can then empty at the recycling place.
Did you ever use the Redneck Engineering oil drain pan? It's an empty 4 litre oil container with the bottom half of one side removed. You can lay it under the bike and collect up to 4 litres and then that can be poured into a waste oil container out of the normal spout without risk of spills. And it's cheap !
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 9:21 pm

@Beresford wrote:

@sullivj wrote:I've just ordered a new oil pan - one that drains into a container that you can then empty at the recycling place.

Did you ever use the Redneck Engineering oil drain pan? It's an empty 4 litre oil container with the bottom half of one side removed. You can lay it under the bike and collect up to 4 litres and then that can be poured into a waste oil container out of the normal spout without risk of spills. And it's cheap !

I use an old plastic petrol can for that job Smile
Grarea
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Grarea on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 9:23 pm

I had forgotten that one.
I have a big metal tray.
(The van took more than a gallon of oil)

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm

This is the one I ordered,mainly because of the price and positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K2RG92E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Grarea
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Grarea on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 11:22 pm

nice
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 8:41 am

@sullivj wrote:This is the one I ordered,mainly because of the price and positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K2RG92E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*buys w/ 'one click'*
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 4:27 am

@sullivj wrote:This is the one I ordered,mainly because of the price and positive reviews.

I have this pan. You need to put it in exactly the right place, or the oil will run up the sides and piss all over the floor. Also, mine has been exposed to UV light whilst sitting in the garden and the screw cap broke up. Only had it four years!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 10:26 am

I just use a basin from tescos use it for bikes car and van oil changes... then get the  4/5litre oil used can put funnel into  and pour basin contents into it... but ive a big rag under the can to catch any drips... then bring cans to recycle centre
Then i use the rag i had under the can to clean out basin  and then put basin into a black bag and put onto shelf for next time those special oil catch cans are gud until u drop the oil drain bolt into them and it blocks the hole for oil to go into the can and then u have a problem Twisted Evil
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 11:35 am

@wornsprokets wrote:I just use a basin from tescos use it for bikes car and van oil changes... then get the  4/5litre oil used can put funnel into  and pour basin contents into it... but ive a big rag under the can to catch any drips... then bring cans to recycle centre
Then i use the rag i had under the can to clean out basin  and then put basin into a black bag and put onto shelf for next time those special oil catch cans are gud until u drop the oil drain bolt into them and it blocks the hole for oil to go into the can and then u have a problem :twisted:

Yes, I'm partial to the plastic-washing-up-bowl-used-as-oil-pan trick as well: plenty of space, no need to be to accurate with positioning and doesn't pour too badly - plus ultimately replaceable if it wears out! Also it will probably fit under the car (assuming you don't have something low).

Obviously best not to use the one from the kitchen or you might get into trouble ;)
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 7:20 pm

I bought one of these at the bike show last year :-

Oil Pan

It's big enough to catch oil without messing up and easy to empty the contents into my waste Jerry can. It also sits vertical in the Jerry can spout so it drains out thoroughly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:20 am