Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

tyre/valve advice

balth
Squiddy
Squiddy

tyre/valve advice

Post by balth on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 9:05 pm

hello folks, I have a stupid question.

So ive ridden my cb until the rear tyre has worn through and I am now going to have to buy new ones. (i also have a funduro so am not without bike in the meantime, phew!)

Since i got it the rear tyre has had a messed up valve, it requires i check the tyre pressure every day and top it up if needed. the last time I inflated it the valve broke and was deflating so i attached one of those 90 degree angle adapters to stop it. So my silly question is twofold: Will new tyres mean new valves? Or do i have to put a new tyre valve in as well?

There is a chance ill be taking the bike to the pyranees in september, i had planned on taking the f650 but it seems to have blown an exhaust gasket and if i dont get a new one in time and fit it ill take my cb. Which tyres would be best. BT45's?

I've never changed a tyre before, so that will be a new experience

Thanks for any advice
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: tyre/valve advice

Post by Beresford on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 9:21 pm

The tyre supplier I buy from always fits new valves with new tyres, and balances the wheel as well. Valves are cheap anyway.
balth
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by balth on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 9:35 pm

Great, thanks. I think i'll order valves as well just in case then.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 10:32 pm

I'd personally fit bt45's or s20 evo's, yes replace the valves. The place that I go to doesn't change them unless requested.
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 5:53 am

BT45's made a huge difference from the Avon's that were fitted when I fitted the bike - they are brilliant. I always ask to get new valves fitted when fitting a new tyre (and have it balanced at the same time) It saves all the hassle you have experienced.......
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 1:06 pm

Bt 45s are good tyre but they dont last long and i had cracks in my front tyre from start and rear has squared off quick...i try different tyres next time
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 1:47 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Bt 45s are good tyre but they don't last long and i had cracks in my front tyre from start and rear has squared off quick...i try different tyres next time

Try running 36-38 psi in the rear, mine doesn't square off, the foot pegs on the other hand they're squaring off Wink
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 1:57 pm

I've only ever used bt45's (including a 70 profile mounted back to front at the rear on my first one!) at bridgestone recommended pressures so have nothing to compare them to.  I'm willing to trade in longevity for the grip they provide as I don't do too high milages but may well try something else when the time comes to change both boots.

A courier I picked up some parts from a few years ago ran Avons & found them fine as well as hard wearing.  It's all down to what you're used to & what your priorities are I guess.

Think I've also always had new valves at tire change too but just about every time I check the rear I think a right angle one would make life a whole lot easier.
balth
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by balth on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:40 pm

I'll go with BT45's as I am pretty new to the bike and they seem to be widely recommended. I'll see what they are like myself. I have Avon on it now and I'm not sure how long they were on before I got it but they are now literally worn through to the white. Finding time to do it is my main problem right now though...

Guy in a garage saw my right angle valve and told me it unbalanced my wheel. I'm not sure that's true, but he said you should remove it every time after inflating. Not an option for me and I haven't noticed any handling problems since putting it on but I probably ride like an elephant anyway and ain't quite as sensitive to the nuances of the road as that guy :p They sure do make those air machines easier to use though.
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 5:59 am

My bike had Avon's on it when I bought it. My friend and I went for a long ride to get me used to the bike and it was a lovely warm day (for Aberdeenshire that is....) The tryes were grippy and handled well so all was well. Unfortunately it is very wet and cold in Scotland so the tryes do not fare well in these conditions and they become unstuck too easily and with little provocation. BT-45's were the polar opposite in these conditions and last reasonably well as well. I use 36 psi in the rear and never had any issues.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:33 am