Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Cheapy blow torch

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Cheapy blow torch

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 9:59 pm

Today is a very good day because my work colleagues bought me the best wedding gift ever... That being a new scorpion end can! So now I must set about removing the headers from my bike. I am all too aware of the mounting studs snapping off like has happened to so many people on here, so I am taking as many precautions as possible. 

I am soaking the nuts in Plusgas every night when I get home as suggested on here by someone in one of the other threads. I will also be tackling the nuts with a blow torch before trying to undo them. My question is, does anyone have any experience with el cheapo blow torches like this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blow-Torch-Butane-Gas-Flamethrower-Burner-Welding-4-Gas-Auto-Ignition-soldering-/361445661035?hash=item5427d7196b:g:j~8AAOSwwE5Waq8e

Are they fine for the job and do they generate enough heat etc. If they are crappy can someone suggest a decent branded one to get the job done? I would much rather invest a bit on money in a better torch than a lot of time and money in a broken stud. 

Thanks for any info anyone can provide and hopefully this thread can become a good guide to tackling this job for others in the future. All tips welcome
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Cheapy blow torch

Post by Beresford on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 12:09 am

I bought a Portasol HP820 based on reading the reviews of lots of torches on Amazon. The list price is a bit high but if you troll through the ebay ads you can get them for about £32. It has turned out to be an excellent piece of kit and can solder or make Creme Brulee. It runs on lighter gas, and Bejaysus, it's made in Ireland !!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 6:27 am

Before you apply heat, do try and turn them. After a week of the plusgas treatment, mine just came undone.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 10:33 am

Thanks for the tip Beresford. That might be the way to go. Sulli, can applying heat straight away have detrimental effects? My exhaust is probably considerably more corroded that yours with 70k worth of road garbage and neglect from previous owners. I was planning on throwing everything at it to give it the best chance of coming lose but if there can be negative consequences from unnecessary heat I will rethink my approach.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm

No, I don't think you'd do any harm by heating it.

I was just making the point that you might be lucky enough not to bother investing in a torch.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 7:53 pm

I'm also in need of a blow torch to get the engine mouting bolt out of the donor bike engine. It has snapped two drill bits so far. and I'm not going to use anymore on it.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 8:11 pm

If you can afford it a rottenberger blow torchs are very good .all plumbers use them on the building sites ... my dad has one of those torches  for at least 15yrs  and its stil goin, anigai also bought one on my recommendation and hes very happy with it too.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 9:26 pm

wornsprokets wrote:If you can afford it a rottenberger blow torchs are very good .all plumbers use them on the building sites ... my dad has one of those torches  for at least 15yrs  and its stil goin, anigai also bought one on my recommendation and hes very happy with it too.

Good stuff,  much heavier duty than the Portasol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:33 pm