You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Not a new member, a returnee

scorpiobiker

Not a new member, a returnee

Post by scorpiobiker on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 5:15 pm

Finally after 4 years, my daughter has returned the 500 I originally bought as a winter bike.  It was never a thing of beauty even back then, and to be fair the years have not been kind to it.  However it still runs and performs well so I think its time to give the old girl a little bit of tlc.  Cosmetically, it needs a paint job and the usual sidepanel repair.  The front mudguard needs replacing and the fork seals have seen better days.  Consumables are all good and its got a full stainless exhaust.  It has served my daughter well so my intention is to spruce it up a little and keep it insured so she can still ride it when time allows. Its 1994 model, so any hint, tips and tricks would be welcome.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Not a new member, a returnee

Post by sullivj on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 6:46 pm

Welcome back!

Don't forget to buy a club sticker now you're back. They make the bike go faster!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 1:54 pm

A bit of cosmetic damage won't do it any harm... my bike is testament to that (apart from the rust hole, but that is rather worse than cosmetic!).

Glad to hear your daughter enjoyed it, even better find that you've got it back!

As someone was saying in one of the other threads it's best to get it running, do a good few hundred miles and then decide what needs doing, in something happens and changes your priorities!
scorpiobiker

Post by scorpiobiker on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 2:08 pm

It runs really well tbh.  I just fancy having a mess around with it.  I may just run it through winter and stockpile parts till spring.  I did originally buy it as a winter bike.  Unfortunately my daughter choose that time to pass her bike test.  She needed a big bike and I am a nice dad, so you can guess the rest.  More immediately it needs a front mudguard, fork seals(again), tank/radiator cowls and a centre stand. My wife has some ideas about paintwork she would like to try.  Lets see where it goes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:28 am