Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

A2 47HP Restriction

Scatcat1994
Squiddy
Squiddy

A2 47HP Restriction

Post by Scatcat1994 on Sat 20 Aug 2016, 10:23 pm

Hey guys, 

I'm currently training for my restricted A2 licence as I'm 21.

I was wondering what the situation is like regarding the 47HP 35KW power output limit.

I see that the claimed power is 57HP but I know that the real life rear wheel power will be less than that.

If I was to put my CB500 on a dyno what are the chances it would come below the 47HP limit? It's a 1999 model with 46,000 on the clock.

If it was to produce less than 47HP would I still be required to put in the restrictor or is a dyno certificate sufficient?

Sorry for the essay, cheers for reading,

-Scott
stormbringer

Re: A2 47HP Restriction

Post by stormbringer on Sat 20 Aug 2016, 10:44 pm

I had mine dynoed when i bought it in 2013. 50 bhp on the wheel - which if I understand it correctly is exactly what it should be. At the time it had done 36.000 kilometers.
It now has 82.000 km on the clock and feels as lively as ever!
I would not bet money on any ponies having gone astray - CBs are known to be hard wearing.

In other words; I'd advise use of restrictor kit to be on the safe side. Besides, I recall having heard there's little difference up until near the 100 mph mark, so...

But we should be talking to someone who actually rides a restricted bike.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 21 Aug 2016, 7:20 am

I don't know much about it, but I think the Police can ask for the installation certificate, to prove it has been restricted.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 21 Aug 2016, 8:59 am

The power for the restriction is measured at the crank and not the rear wheel. I have the restrictors fitted to my cb400sf and my cb500... when it has a working engine that is
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 21 Aug 2016, 12:35 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:The power for the restriction is measured at the crank and not the rear wheel. I have the restrictors fitted to my cb400sf and my cb500... when it has a working engine that is

Great. Then have you tried riding the bike without restrictors? I won't tell a soul - scout's honour! How is the difference?
I ask because I have a friend who's about to upgrade to an A2 license, and I'm trying to convince him the CB is a good choice.
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 9:38 am

I've got the restrictors in mine, just cos I don't really want to risk it personally. The bike is more than fast/powerful enough for me. Tops out at about 100-102mph indicated on the motorway, does take a little while to get there, but it handles everything up to 80 with ease, which is plenty enough for me.

Not ridden it without the restrictors at all, so don't really know the full effect of neutering it, but I can testify that if you are coming from a 125cc, it'll feel really nice and will easily have enough power.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:57 pm

Always remember, that if you hit trouble, it is your insurers who will require evidence of restriction etc. And they will go by the book where power outputs are claimed.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 1:36 pm

Also worth knowing Several Police Forces announced last year they were buying mobile dyno set ups I understand they will impound you bike if they believe you to be riding illegally and Dyno it I not heard of anyone caught fro not obeying the A2 licence but a local lad was caught with unrestricted bike and 33BHP licence  big fine 1K I thing 12points 2 year ban retake both tests (He also had car licence) and Both extended tests !!
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 12:36 am

Also in the event of an insurance claim, it's not likely they'll be able to dyno the bike after the crash without repair work, so they will go by the book rather than try and test your output. 

It's just not worth it to me to ride without, and I'll always recommend people stick to the rules.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm