Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Center stand repair

arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Center stand repair

Post by arrison on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 6:36 pm

I snapped the foot lever off my center stand a while back, and was going to get it welded up at work, but, even after buying a spring puller, I couldnt get the springs off, so I just left it and managed without it. But recently Ive got a bit fed up of heving to get the paddock stands out every time I want to oil the chain, so decided to come up with another method of fixing it. So, to start with, I took an m16 bolt, sawwed the head off, hammered it into the broken foot, then drilled it through and put a bolt through it with a nut.

I then hammered it into the hole on the stand, drilled that through, and bolted it together.

Good as new

I started off with m5 bolts, then changed my mind and went up to m6, in stainless, with philidas nuts to stop them working loose. Time will tell if itll last, but it seems sturdy enough so far.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Center stand repair

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 2:41 pm

Good work! I was half thinking of doing this on another bike I own that has the same problem...
Alvi
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 9:33 pm

That looks a good fix. My tip for removing springs is to put the bike on the stand, which expands the spring, then stuff as many washers as possible between the coils. On the cb5, this means sliding the sleeve out the way, or slicing it off. Then, when the stand is swung up,the spring goes slack & can be wiggled off.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm

I know the whole stand spring thing has been aired before, but I always found it easy to get them off and back on again. I have to say that doing it with a spring puller - I presume that is a hook and T-handle device - would be hard work.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 6:37 am

Leverage is the key to removing the spring.. 

Create a loop of wire, tied around the spring end and a length of wood. With the stand up, lever the wood against the tyre and off it comes.. "Simples"..!

Nice fix though.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 12:42 pm

sullivj wrote:Leverage is the key to removing the spring.. 
"Simples"..!

Sums it up perfectly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:34 am