Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 1:11 pm

I got chinese copy front foot pegs there very good think they were 11pounds posted....
Fair Weather Rider
Running out of unique names

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 1:40 pm

Lets have a piccy please.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 9:59 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:I got chinese copy front foot pegs there very good think they were 11pounds posted....

If they are any good you will have to post a link to where we can all buy a pair :)
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

There very good there on cb 500s...i havent been able to post pics since photobucket stoped being free
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:There very good there on cb 500s...i haven't been able to post pics since photobucket stopped being free

Send it to me on whatsapp and I'll host it on my onedrive account for you
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:25 pm

I have to take close up pic james i do it tomoro.... i cant remember seller i bought them off i have to check paypal....think it took 4wks delivery
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 11:26 pm

565 miles achieved today - was perfectly enjoyable up to the last 100 miles or so. Still, the bike was sewing machine smooth and i got 61.5mpg on a 'keep up with motorway traffic' stretch and 55 mpg on a 'belt past everything but stay below 100' stretch. Was really impressed with the handling too, much better than i remember. the addition of earplugs and a quality lid certainly helped.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 6:14 pm

I went out playing headed south into the rain for a few hours, on very sling lane wet, rotted leaf, back roads. had the tyres slip a couple of times. I was with a friend who often does green lanes and up flatish streams and he said that even his tyres sliped for the first time... his are duel sport tyres as mine are hypersport... oops 

After this I headed back home and started playing in my local playground... Oh and for perspective this isn't a photo with fish eye, it's just a 80 degree corner 
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 12:21 pm

520 miles done yesterday, first 200 miles was 80mph motorway to Milton Keynes to send Liz off - god her coffin was amazing. It was painted with this image on all the sides of it. 

On the way back home I stopped off to see @wrighty and "the misses". Was lovely to see his bikes... and him, his wife does a good brew too Wink 
 Then did 200 miles to my dads along the A15, at night, with no heated grips, managed a few overtakes on speed cameras without getting caught (was doing the limit while overtaking) on the way to my dads, then did another 100 miles home in an hour 10mins but that's also including the 50mph speed limits during the roadworks.
Oafski

Post by Oafski on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 10:45 pm

Fitted the MRA Vario Screen I purchased from Ceejay on this Forum and which He was kind enough to deliver while passing the area. Thanks Chris, you're a Top Bloke. Test ride tomorrow.
Oafski

Post by Oafski on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 6:08 pm

Yesterday, Had a spin out with the Vario screen and really pleased with it. Starting to gel with the bike now after all the teething toubles. It replaces a much loved Moto Guzzi 750 Breva. The Old Girl had survived eight and a half years of my mate trying to kill her and when he failed at that he threw her down the road and broke a few bits off her. I did get her for a knock down price and she is looking much better after a few hundred pounds and some TLC lavished on her. Back in the 1960s I owned a 305cc Honda CB77, one of only two brand new bikes I have ever owned (the other was a 350 CZ) and the CB500 seems very much like an evolved version of that. If it delivers half as much pleasure as that old CB77 did I will be a very happy man.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 7:42 pm

Went out today venturing into the Hebden Bridge area, my sprocket carrier bearing as now had it's last and the replacement has been ordered. Great area with some nice suprise corners just to keep you on your toes such as a random very tight (20mph) switch back hair pin just into a national speed limit. That and sudden gusts of wind.

Busby
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Round Island trip Day of the Dead

Post by Busby on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 1:31 pm

Today is the Spanish "Day of the Dead" where families celebrate or otherwise their departed ones! Its also a national holiday and a great excuse to meet other bikers and go out for a ride.This year 6 of us decided to take a trip round most of the island! Great day, clear blue sky, but cold wind, so lots of stops for coffee! Driving round Mallorca is a great mixture of twisting roads and some long plains, well not that long but long for an island only 100km wide x 45 km North to South to us, long! Challenging mountain roads with lots of hairpin bends forces you to keep your speed down but sharpens your riding techniques. All in all a great day with a big lunch at the end. Beer tonight at the local bar, walking distance there staggering distance home. Busby

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 9:48 pm

Sounds like a great day Busby.
Busby
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Busby on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 6:25 am

Absolutely sallivj, we are fortunate to live here! Busby.
Fair Weather Rider

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 3:39 pm

Fitted all my new bits ready for MOT
2 refurbished wheels, with Tyres, Chain and Sprockets, new rear Disc.
Was going to take it for MOT, but noticed front brake light switch not working, so have ordered one off eBay, will be hear Friday.

Happy Days.
Oafski

Post by Oafski on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 7:37 pm

Changed the Plugs, Changed the Coolant and balanced the Carbs. It's like a caged beast now.
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:16 pm

My bike has been in a partly disassembled state for the past 3 weeks until now; what started as a handlebar swap (with grips and bar-end weights for good measure) became a more in depth servicing.

Prior to this, I had tinkered with the mixture screws on the carbs to try and see at what setting they were, in the process I partly destroyed the head of one of them (tiny brass head plus hard-turning screw = disaster), and it was left screwed in 1/3rd of a turn more than the other which was enough to make the engine run a bit rough.

While putting on my new handlebar, I took time to clean and check the switches and cables and found out the accelerator pull cable was just holding by a thread of wire, time to change!

But to change this cable, you need to remove the carbs (unless you have very long and flexible fingers), so I decided to take this opportunity to service them and change that broken mixture screw.

I ordered a set of new seals, a new mixture screw, as well as a full screw set replacement (stainless steel, allen heads) and proceeded to disassemble and clean the bits in contact with fuel and the passage ways with brake cleaner and compressed air. Was not so bad, apart from some deposit at the bottom of the bowls and a bit around the mixture screws, the jets were a bit corroded but clean.

I finally put everything back together today, I set the mixture screws 3 turns out (vs 2.5 originally) since I have an aftermarket LeoVince exhaust and it pops quite happily on overrun. The battery was a bit too weak after cranking for a while to refill the carbs bowls so I charged it back up; the engine then started easily and running way smoother than it has ever been (to my ear).

I adjusted the idle to 1200 RPM warm and Voilà! Will take her for a spin tomorrow to see if everything is good (will need to get used to that new OEM style handlebar, the previous one was wider).
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 8:03 pm

Let me see. I bought my CB500S and joined this forum maybe 4 or 5 years ago and the battery that was in the bike - which I think may have been the OEM has just died. Graciously, at home after a run, and not stranding me miles away. I love this bike.
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 7:54 pm

Had that test ride today, what a blast! The engine is now purring like a kitten from idle to low revs before turning into the lion we all know (I might get carried away there ;P).

No more jitter at very low revs, sharp throttle response, I just wish I had done that carb cleaning and mixture adjustment way sooner. And this is without any carb balancing, which I'll keep for when I proceed to check those valves clearances sometime in the future.

/A happy rider.
Busby
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Spent some dosh!

Post by Busby on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 6:10 pm

Well that was yesterday, I bought a Christmas present for the bike a Delkevic 420mm oval silencer and a K&N air filter on line from eBay. 
Both were posted out the same day, and today I received an email from Delkevic that it had already left the Uk, great service, so both should be here by Thursday latest! santa

Today I changed the plugs and reset the idle. The old plugs were suprisingly old!! given the condition of the bike in general, gone is the stutter at low speeds and the pick up has significantly improved and the bike is a lot smoother.
Also The screen had some nasty scratches in it not obvious from the photos, but I saw a full S frontal fairing for sale on eBay for £55, with an almost new MRA touring screen in it and the pocket box was complete with lid. On the basis the MRA screen new is about £100 and a new box £30 (I Think) I thought it was a good buy, which it was, that arrived today so I fitted the screen and swopped the box over. I can now sell the Front fairing here for about 35 euro + as they are rare over here. Will let you know how the rest of the improvements go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:06 pm