Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Beresford on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:03 pm

Wanting to go to a MAG meeting. Bucketing with rain, gave the bike a pat and went by car. Crying or Very sad
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

I received my new oil seal yesterday and finished assembling the fork. The seal was a proper pain to seat, might be the top bushing beneath struggling to find its place...

Anyhow, the bike is back in one piece, and a short test-ride showed much improved cornering stability and less diving on braking, quite happy with it.

Rear shocks are next, the TEC ones are already there, I just hope they won't be too hard for my 50 odds kilos.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 10:17 pm

@ZekeVal wrote:Rear shocks are next, the TEC ones are already there, I just hope they won't be too hard for my 50 odds kilos.
They might. I've installed a set of those, and they seem to be quite stiff. I weigh 90 kilos, and even adding luggage boxes won't make the bike 'plush'. They are, however, effective. Somewhat involuntarily I've had to push it today, and the back-end felt planted as I did.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm

Okay, seeing as we're back on the subject of shock absorbers I'll just give another quick update on how I'm finding the YSS Bravos. Following some arguably over-spirited riding, albeit on relatively familiar (half decent) roads, I will say I prefer the OEM Showas. The YSSs do get themselves a bit confuzzled when you throw bends, elevation changes and slightly sub-par surfaces at them simultaneously - but you really must off-set that against the higher comfort levels (yes, even when compared to the original rear suspension).

That said, I personally think I can just about live with them. However, I am now - courtesy of more experience and thus increased ability - a smoother rider. So whilst I'm faster, I actually feel slower - if that makes any sense. In short, the YSSs do suit the bike - and although they may be found wanting if you're using 95%+ of what the bike can cope with, I think they can accommodate almost up to 90%. You do have to be a bit "gradual" with them though.
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 9:57 am

@stormbringer wrote:
They might. I've installed a set of those, and they seem to be quite stiff. I weigh 90 kilos, and even adding luggage boxes won't make the bike 'plush'. They are, however, effective. Somewhat involuntarily I've had to push it today, and the back-end felt planted as I did.

That's what I've feared. I knew I should have called TEC beforehand to see if they had softer springs available, but I got a bit "trigger-happy" on the "Buy" button geek 

I'll postpone installation for now and inquire further later.

*EDIT: After a quick call to TEC, turns out there's no other spring options available for the more basic (£50) shocks; but George did point to me that these shocks are quite firm at first and settle down after a little while. So I guess I'll just put no preload at all when I install them and I'll see if my bum can endure it  Rolling Eyes
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 9:05 pm

A few parts from Andy came today and another parcel came for me, only this one came on a pallet. The pallet was quickly removed and the contents quickly had the brandit thrown on it.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 5:06 pm

Fitted 755 renthals today. Pretty tight with the throttle cables on full lock so we'll see. Might have to wait for an empty fuel tank then re-route them... Bike does feel better for the change.

muttley1
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 9:39 pm

I did an oopsie and realised that I last changed my oil 9,500 miles ago so the bike got an oil and filter change today. Only changed it about 2 months ago and I usually did it every 3 months, don't usually do 5000 miles a month oops.

For those who are interested I've switched to Smith & Allan "motorbike" oil. This costs £15 for 5 Liters which is half the price of halfords equivalent. You can also order it online and they'll post it for £7 which is still cheaper than halfrauds
https://www.smithandallan.com/products/transport-motorcycle/1868-smith-and-allan-motorcycle-oil-10w-40-semi-synthetic/
John_B
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by John_B on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 10:39 pm

Fitted a pair of Tec shocks, cheapest version.

Not ridden on them yet. Exhaust had to come off, and is still off because I need to buy some kind of assembly paste to stop it blowing before putting it back.

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 11:32 pm

Very good shocks john i have them on my cb 500v....over two yrs and over 15k miles.... mite put a pair on my cn 500s too....so cheap shocks ....
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 6:27 am

Fitted new chain slider - ten minute job. Sprocket cover off, hanger off, chain guard off. The slider itself has a single retaining screw. Reason for fitting new one - the old was definitely beginning to go, because it was quite floppy feeling, probably suffering from the effects of repeated applications of oil, paraffin (and/or diesel) plus also age. Secondly, had a chain slider collapse on me before when riding my old CRM250. Locked the back wheel up cos it got chewed up by the front sprocket. 

Don't worry - I won't be starting a Chain Slider Awareness Week thread...but I do think they get neglected by bike owners, the vast majority of whom probably never fit a new one. And admittedly don't need to...unless they do apply a lot of substances to their chain, which can over time act as a solvent to the slider's polymer. Plastics and oil-based solvents generally don't get along too brilliantly over time.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 7:16 am

Good to know Trevor. I thought the swinging arm had to come out to replace it - obviously not.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 3:02 pm

God no - it's piss easy. Can't remember how much I coughed up to david silver though - iirc it was 30 quid for an OEM one. So a bit dear but eh.
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:42 pm

Came back from a nice little road trip through France and northern Spain with a friend and his er6 for a bit more than 2 weeks. We covered more than 5000 km (3,000 miles for your imperialists  geek), crossed more than 20 passes over a 1000m in the Pyrénées and Massif Central and just had an awesome time.

Now my rear BT45 is toasted (15000km +) with the centre groove totally gone. Will have a brand new Michelin fitted this afternoon.

The CB performed really well even with full load and was a real joy to throw from one side to the other on those pyreneans roads. 
r1ncew1nd

Post by r1ncew1nd on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:09 pm

Ah, so jealous ZekeVal. I cannot find time for a hours ride out at the moment, never mind 2 weeks.

Would love to do a trip like this. One day maybe..............

Glad to hear the trusty CB held up to task. Would not expect anything less :-)

Steve
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 6:51 pm

It was time for a tyre change, just a shame I'm not able to squeeze a little more out of the tyre. Wish I'd not ridden so aggressively on the way home now. 
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

Radial tyres last a lot longer James. Well worth the effort to switch to wider wheels.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 10:04 pm

@ANDYC wrote:Radial tyres last a lot longer James. Well worth the effort to switch to wider wheels.

The s20 evo is a radial tyre, though I'm limited in the choice of radials as I want to stick with a 110 front and not 120, but obviously this choice will be helped with been able to now run a 150 rear.  

I'm toying with trying some dunlops but I don't know what the feedback is like on them. I love my bridgestone and metzelers due to their similar feel and feedback which should also push me toward Pirelli. But I'm also picky and I'm not too keen on having a pinched front tyre. so I'm wanting to stick with a 110 front which limits the choice a decent amount.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm

Swinging arm had distinct lateral movement. No like! So I had a chat with my local dealer and we found it to be a good idea checking out the bearings.
Bearings were OK, but I only figured that out till after I had them removed. The axle though... Think I'll have to swap it for a new used one, as mine had unmistakable wear marks/grooving.

So, while I was there, I decided to have the swinging arm re-powdercoated, prepping it for the next 100k kilometers. Good idea methinks - apart from the fact that black powdercoating comes with nearly two weeks latency. So, the bike now sits idle in my shed, waiting for the arrival of one refurbished swinging arm.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 11:16 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@ANDYC wrote:Radial tyres last a lot longI er James. Well worth the effort to switch to wider wheels.
They are radials but also a sport compound 

The s20 evo is a radial tyre, though I'm limited in the choice of radials as I want to stick with a 110 front and not 120, but obviously this choice will be helped with been able to now run a 150 rear.  

I'm toying with trying some dunlops but I don't know what the feedback is like on them. I love my bridgestone and metzelers due to their similar feel and feedback which should also push me toward Pirelli. But I'm also picky and I'm not too keen on having a pinched front tyre. so I'm wanting to stick with a 110 front which limits the choice a decent amount.

They're radial tyres but not designed to fit on such a narrow rim. Hence the central part wears out before the rest of the profile. They're also a sport compound so weren't expected to be slow wearing anyway. 
Even though they are approved for racing fitment I'm not convinced that they're approved for road use.
Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 3:19 am

@stormbringer wrote:Swinging arm had distinct lateral movement. No like! So I had a chat with my local dealer and we found it to be a good idea checking out the bearings.
Bearings were OK, but I only figured that out till after I had them removed. The axle though... Think I'll have to swap it for a new used one, as mine had unmistakable wear marks/grooving.

So, while I was there, I decided to have the swinging arm re-powdercoated, prepping it for the next 100k kilometers. Good idea methinks - apart from the fact that black powdercoating comes with nearly two weeks latency. So, the bike now sits idle in my shed, waiting for the arrival of one refurbished swinging arm.

why so long a wait? I got mine done here in Northampton in three days
Crash- Elmit

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 8:13 pm

went for a good bimble today. did Kimbolton , St Neots, Gratham water, to name a few, so blew some of the cobwebs off me and the bike. bike was faultless as usual.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 3:29 pm

I'm currently contemplating replacing my TEC rear shocks with urm TEC rear shocks. They seem to be a lot more softer now than when I first got the bike. Though I would suspect that after 35,000 miles they would have softened up with the daily abuse of North Yorkshires finest roads, air time and wheelies.

They live outside all year round, cleaning isn't my highest priority either but for some reason the chain side is much more rusty than the other. 

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

Hard to beat....tec shocks at there prices
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:10 am

Started bike, thought uh something's not quite right here - revved it, sounded fine. Idled it - less fine. Revved it again - fine. So set off. Got to a guy's house in town, who I'd sold a bike to, and the bike sounded (way more) agricultural than usual. Okay - must be exhaust related, I thought. Then found the flange hanging off the O/S header. Uhm. Right - that explains that then. Luckily the guy had some suitable 6mm bolts and I got it fastened back on. Rode home, ordered two of dem OEM stud bolt long domed jobs off David Silver, fitted them and that was that. Set me back about £15. Eek.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:04 pm