Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:41 pm

stormbringer wrote:

eternally_troubled wrote:Packing is easy:  if it doesn't fit then don't take it Wink

Right...

My point being that in reality almost anything will 'fit' if you're determined Smile
Pity it's a scooter or he could have had a tank bag on there!!!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:46 pm

sullivj wrote:Glad you've managed to come up with a plan James, despite the desertion. Bad form that. Have they been in touch to at least check you're OK?

that certainly is bad form just shooting off and leaving you they arnt worth bothering with type of so called riding companions and that is one big reason why I always ride alone because I am a slow rider and riding on my own and my own speed I don't get the feeling that im hanging people up Neutral
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 01 Jul 2017, 8:20 pm

Still hanging in here did this was 2 other cb500's up there too. A red 1997 model the same as mine and a blue cb500-s with gold wheels 
http://2017.fotostelvio.com/find-your-foto/find-your-foto-summer-2017/find-your-foto-june-2017/stelvio-29-june-2017-1/29-june-1330-1400-1/
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 02 Jul 2017, 5:39 am

Nice one. How's the bike behaving?
r1ncew1nd

Post by r1ncew1nd on Sun 02 Jul 2017, 4:51 pm

Had a ride out with #1 daughter today. Me on my CB500, she's on her Zontes Tiger 125 (please don't kick me off the forum for using such obscenities) !

Yeah, I know. Chinese and all that, but it's what the bike school is using where she did her cbt and that's what she wanted for a learner bike. tbh, I quite like the look of it (looks better than my Suzuki GS125 did when I learned). She'd not ridden for 6 months (had a minor accident early on) and was about to give up on motorbikes before she'd even gotten started, but I think the ride out today gave her a ton of confidence so I hoping it's the first of many. To be fair to the Zontes, started first time after having sat for 6 months.

Great feeling riding out with your own. The CB performed perfectly but it was a bit of a coiled spring that I could not unleash as we tootled along at 40-50mph.

Happy days !

Steve
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 02 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm

I am really fascinated by chinese bikes. Rode a lot of them in Africa and they performed very admirably. 50 years ago Japanese bikes were considered garbage by people who did not take them seriously. Many of those people are now out of business...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 6:55 am

I think it will take the Chinese manufacturers longer to get good than the Japanese did. The former are coming out of communism and they haven't got a clue about marketing, "building a brand" or creating marques. All this seemed to come quite naturally to the Japanese culture, even though they were dealing with a terrible defeat after the second world war. Slogans such as "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" were absolute genius - that Soichiro et al could a). quickly grasp the importance of buying (and buying into) the American advertising and b). see the brilliance of that funny little tag line (that immediately 'rebranded' biking into something fun and lovely as opposed to 1%er bullshit rebellion) is testament to just how incredibly canny the Japanese were in all aspects of business.

But, even if they were only any good at engineering and development, etc., and had been utterly clueless at all those stupid aspects of capitalism (e.g. marketing etc.), I still think those Japanese guys would have prevailed. It just might have taken a couple of years longer. By contrast, the Chinese don't seem to have that originality (where is their break through creation such as the Honda C90, which will inspire and carry other Chinese firms along on its coat-tails?) nor the sheer excellence of metallurgy and engineering prowess that was always at the very core of Japanese manufacture.

But yes - the Chinese WILL get there. I reckon it will take way longer though.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:20 pm

trevor machine wrote:... By contrast, the Chinese don't seem to have that originality (where is their break through creation such as the Honda C90, which will inspire and carry other Chinese firms along on its coat-tails?) nor the sheer excellence of metallurgy and engineering prowess that was always at the very core of Japanese manufacture.

But yes - the Chinese WILL get there. I reckon it will take way longer though.

I agree with you on both counts, but I would say this:

In this country (and probably others too) biking is turning into an old-mans game (the average age of bikers is going up and up) - less sports bikes are being sold (where most of the actually innovation happens), so I'm not convinced the market wants lots of innovation and whizz-bang features - look at how many 'vintage' inspired bikes there are now (quite a lot of them also have re-hashed engines from previous bikes anyway).

In terms of reliability and definitely build quality I would say that there is a little way to go: my wife's Yamaha 2010 YBR125 is made in China - there is rust, there are worn (cosmetic) bits, however it is very reliable and does 100+ mpg! I know that bike has a large Jap manufacturer backing it up but the engine is a Chinese one...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 07 Jul 2017, 8:43 am

eternally_troubled wrote:
In this country (and probably others too) biking is turning into an old-mans game (the average age of bikers is going up and up) - less sports bikes are being sold (where most of the actually innovation happens), so I'm not convinced the market wants lots of innovation and whizz-bang features - look at how many 'vintage' inspired bikes there are now (quite a lot of them also have re-hashed engines from previous bikes anyway).

Just on the subject of innovation for a sec, it seems that most of the development is being driven by ("artificial") constraints i.e. emissions, and to a lesser extent new safety legislation.

In order to make the same power for the extra weight incurred by e.g. more water-cooling, lower noise levels (thus thicker casings, heavier exhausts with more packing etc.), bikes that run leaner to use less fuel and emit fewer gases have had to have quite drastic forms of EFI mapping. BHP figures can consequently only be achieved in reality by making bikes that won't run properly throughout their power range without having what often seems to be three separate maps - you can have a smooth bike round town, but not one that will accelerate well nor reach top speed. Or you can have one that accelerates and performs, but is jerky and snatchy in slow traffic. But these foibles are packaged as rider aids and rider modes etc. As though they're really fandango electronic developments rather than shortcomings in EFI's abilities to handle ever-restrictive laws. I suppose the manufacturers have to be creative in all this, but it does make me smile sometimes.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm

Made it home from Brussels, think I triggered a speed camera on the motorway so I think I've just lost my licence  Mad I left the camp site at 5:30am and the rustling of my tent woke up some people I think. My ferry was booked for 12(midday) I got there at 7:75 to be told I would be on the 10am ferry, so onwards I went and there was 2 spare bike slots on the back of the lorry deck so on the 8am ferry I went.  

Will do a full write up of my trip at some point in the near future, but sadly now I'm home I'm filling my face out on the bike for the next 2 days.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 5:15 pm

Welcome back to Blighty, James!
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm

Fitted a front braided line (Hel) yesterday. Brake lever feels much firmer. Need to try on the road now.

*Edit after road test: Wow, what a difference! It actually feels like that brake lever is actuating the brake pads now   Very Happy

Last edited by ZekeVal on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm

Well I've been out on the bike for the last 2 days after coming home on Saturday, Sunday I ended up bringing myself home as I was falling alseep while riding I did about 200 miles. Today I was more awake but I'm still tried from riding so much only did 150 miles today.

After the trip I was down to the center wear bar with at a guess 1.2mm of tread, while playing about like usual the center is only just visible with the right side of the tyre down the wear bear and the left side is just about down to the wear bar but not quite. Should last another 400/450 miles until I can get a new tyre fitted on Monday.... I hope, considering I'm hardly going anywhere suddenly that's a lot of miles. 

This evening I've been sorting through my DSLR photos of my Europe trip, I started off at 286 photos. After sorting through them twice, I've got it down to 133 photos, I'm going to have another run through them before I go to bed.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:51 pm

Sounds like a good trip, glad to hear you got back in one piece!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm

Uploaded my Europe photos to google drive for all to view 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1uJ6SJZhu1xd0tZSEJ5S3JoUzQ?usp=sharing
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 9:37 pm

Well,  I sold my yellow CB5 this evening. Nice and easy, it was only on bike trader for a few days. Went to a local chap, mid 40's, taking his big bike test tomorrow. I dropped it off round his house for him so it's waiting for him when he hopefully passes first time.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:Uploaded my Europe photos to google drive for all to view 
Some beautiful scenery and views there James. I'm jealous!!! I would love to do something like that, but in hotels or B & B's!!!!! lol
Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 8:31 pm

Oh My! Just look at those roads - bikers heaven

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 11:52 am

Well,  I sold my yellow CB5 this evening. Nice and easy, it was only on bike trader for a few days. Went to a local chap, mid 40's, taking his big bike test tomorrow. I dropped it off round his house for him so it's waiting for him when he hopefully passes first time.

Always good to have an easy sale, will you be getting another bike?

muttley1
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 11:54 am

Gorgeous landscapes! You certainly have a good eye for pictures.

On my side, I'm having my first attempt ever at fork seals renewal (or basically fork overhaul since I change bushings when necessary). When I got my bike to this stage, I started thinking I may have been a bit over my head  geek 

The "Outside lab"  

The first leg went fine, apart from that %$§# top bushing to fit in!!

All hell broke loose on the second one when, confidence growing, I forgot to put the oil seal seat (big washer) between the top bushing and the oil seal. Had to ram the stanchion tube out, destroying the brand new oil seal in the process. Needless to say I was beyond furious against myself  Evil or Very Mad

After a night's rest to cool down, the new seal has been ordered; I'll try not to make the same mistake again...

Last edited by ZekeVal on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 11:59 am

Fitted better saddle yesterday (thanks to sluggish) and put on 759 renthals. Bike looks better for both.
I'm thinking of bar end mirrors again to tart it up (I got some of fleabay awhile ago but they weren't great- vibey and convex).

Took the bike to Homebase, they're doing a key cutting offer so I got a padlock spare key for £1.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

ZekeVal wrote:

Gorgeous landscapes! You certainly have a good eye for pictures.

On my side, I'm having my first attempt ever at fork seals renewal (or basically fork overhaul since I change bushings when necessary). When I got my bike to this stage, I started thinking I may have been a bit over my head  geek 

The "Outside lab"  

The first leg went fine, apart from that %$§# top bushing to fit in!!

All hell broke loose on the second one when, confidence growing, I forgot to put the oil seal seat (big washer) between the top bushing and the oil seal. Had to ram the stanchion tube out, destroying the brand new oil seal in the process. Needless to say I was beyond furious against myself  Evil or Very Mad

After a night's rest to cool down, the new seal has been ordered; I'll try not to make the same mistake again...

Well done,  you're braver than I am! 

I'm scared to touch anything now that it runs.  Being a year without the bike was unbearable.  

Saying that, I  think I'd like to fit the HEL brake lines too.  Mine are still the original hoses and are actually functioning well but I think it's a winter job nonetheless. 
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 12:24 pm

Yesterday actually... 

You know when you're on the CB500 when you get utterly blanked by every rider you pass (except one!). 

I must have passed 50+ riders,  mostly on sports bikes, and none acknowledged my wave.  Of course,  I was doing it to annoy them when it was large groups.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 4:01 pm

MOT passed, two advisories, one I was expecting the other I did contest a little but still passed. 

Since the last MOT I have done 20,035 miles
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 7:08 pm

Having sold my yellow CB, I got my red one out of the garage (yeah, I know...), MOT passed with no advisories so good to go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:18 am