Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 9:36 am

@trevor machine wrote:Okay - more awake now. "Solutions" - bar-end weights aren't necessary, imo. I can't remember precisely why my off-side one started to pinch the grip and thus slow the snap of the throttle return down - but it definitely did. And it pissed me off no end. So eventually I just got rid of the damn weights on both sides and glued some closed-ended grips on, because they looked a bit better than the open ones when the weights weren't fitted.

So - does an absence of bar-end weights cause any adverse effects? E.g. more vibrations through the bars? Possibly - probably. Definitely? Either way, I don't find them obtrusive - and, honestly, I'm not even sure I can tell any difference at all. More likely the mirrors vibrate a little more, and so it can be slightly more difficult to suss out what's going on behind - but again this is barely worth bothering about, and only happens at certain limited points in the rev range.

As for the main stand stopper, I cable tied a one inch piece of hose from a Renault Clio onto the stand's part where it connects to the end can. That's all I did. But as stated elsewhere, my can still sometimes moves around slightly and goes out of alignment so it can be necessary to loosen the three parts of the pipes off, align everything again, and re-tighten.

Thanks for that. The cable-tied hose is a good idea.  I'm sure I've got both in the garage,  I'll give that a go tomorrow.  It's either that or a tenner for a rubber stop. 

I'm going to keep the end weights on I think and carefully cut the grips with a marking knife, roll them back and put cardboard underneath or something. I wonder if the grips have just stretched over the years, I suppose so.
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

Ridiculous, I know, but it means I can ride today. 

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:23 am

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
I'm going to keep the end weights on I think and carefully cut the grips with a marking knife, roll them back and put cardboard underneath or something. I wonder if the grips have just stretched over the years, I suppose so.

Had the same issue. Here, oil had worked its way in between the grip and the plastic actuator tube, causing the grip to slip.

Remove, degrease, reinstall. Job done. If you use household spirit as lubricant when reinstalling, you'll have time to adjust and get it right.

Removing the bar-ends is a PITA though. They are secured with little clips gripping inside the handlebar and cannot be extracted 'just like that'. Compress the clips and extract - don't use force. It's a effortless 5-second-operation when you know how!

As for the bar-ends being of no use - methinks not. I had lots of vibration after removing mine. I've since then installed bar-end-mirrors but they do not deaden the vibes nearly as good as the leaden and rubber-suspended originals.
skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:21 am

I have to agree with Stormbringer on this account, I had a bar end weight (only the one though) fall off somewhere and couldn't work out why I had so much vibration and couldn't see anything in the mirrors due to this for a good few days (possibly weeks) Finally noticed the bar end weight was missing so posted a "Bits needed" and bought a second hand one of a fellow member on site and fitted it. This made all the difference and although there is still vibration, which seems to be a feature of these bikes, it is much less noticeable. Oh and you can actually see what is behind you in the mirrors as well.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:35 am

95% of the time I honestly have no trouble seeing what's behind me on either of my 500s - neither have bar-end weights. Nor do I ever think of them as vibey on the bars, at any speed. Then again my grip on the bars is almost stupidly relaxed. I found out some time ago that, in my case, the bike handles so much better when I loosen up. Brain has to be running on full voltage constantly - but body has to be almost asleep. A weird physical and mental state to be in - but one that for me at least is ideal for riding, especially on more 'technical' sorts of routes. I can take or leave bar-end weights and probably wouldn't notice if a cb500 had them or not, if I rode it.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:12 am

I decided to lay the bike down on a bit off grass between a telegraph pole and a wire fence to get a lovely tan  mid corner. Mixture of a worn rear tyre, dehydration, lapse in concentration with a final touch of target fixation was to blame. Scuffed mudguard, scuffed exhaust headers and a damaged sticker on my topbox was the result.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:03 pm

It's been almost too hot to ride - but despite that I've somehow ended up at Pateley Bridge twice in the last three days. So where were you when you came off, James? I might even know it.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:37 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:I decided to lay the bike down on a bit off grass between a telegraph pole and a wire fence to get a lovely tan  mid corner. Mixture of a worn rear tyre, dehydration, lapse in concentration with a final touch of target fixation was to blame. Scuffed mudguard, scuffed exhaust headers and a damaged sticker on my topbox was the result.

But you were having fun, James , weren't you ? Laughing
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:19 pm

Sorry to hear you had a spill today James.
I got my new seat cover fitted, no more duck tape! Very Happy
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:42 pm

Glad to see you're well enough to write about it James.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 7:41 pm

@trevor machine wrote:It's been almost too hot to ride - but despite that I've somehow ended up at Pateley Bridge twice in the last three days. So where were you when you came off, James? I might even know it.

https://goo.gl/maps/qQFKMF4st3t Just came across the bridge getting chased by a vtr thou. You should have let me know I'm 15 miles from Pately bridge and go along there along the reservoir on my way to and from work (Route 59 cafe) but I've got some time off since I work weekends and these trips I'm on. I'm back late on the 8th of July if you wanted to go for a ride some time, sure you've got my number somewhere in a pm  scratch

@Beresford wrote:But you were having fun, James , weren't you ? Laughing
Yup, one of the best rides I've been on a long time, makes a change to be riding in a group (in this case I was leading for this section) and having others keeping a similar pace without having to stop for others to catch up is always a great thing. 

@teamster1975 wrote:Sorry to hear you had a spill today James.
I got my new seat cover fitted, no more duck tape! Very Happy
You feeling ok? You've treat the bike  Shocked

@sullivj wrote:Glad to see you're well enough to write about it James.
Just kept smiling and cracked on
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 2:20 pm

@stormbringer wrote:

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:

Had the same issue. Here, oil had worked its way in between the grip and the plastic actuator tube, causing the grip to slip.

Remove, degrease, reinstall. Job done. If you use household spirit as lubricant when reinstalling, you'll have time to adjust and get it right.

Removing the bar-ends is a PITA though. They are secured with little clips gripping inside the handlebar and cannot be extracted 'just like that'. Compress the clips and extract - don't use force. It's a effortless 5-second-operation when you know how!

As for the bar-ends being of no use - methinks not. I had lots of vibration after removing mine. I've since then installed bar-end-mirrors but they do not deaden the vibes nearly as good as the leaden and rubber-suspended originals.

I've cleaned the grip and greased and turned the offending grip over a few mills and it's clear of the end weight so I'm not even going to cut it. It looks schitt but works. 

I do need new end weights though as mine are beyond tatty so I'll try to figure out the correct way! They cost more than I thought,  I'm sure it was twenty quid odds on David silver iirc.
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 2:27 pm

@trevor machine wrote:...Then again my grip on the bars is almost stupidly relaxed. I found out some time ago that, in my case, the bike handles so much better when I loosen up. Brain has to be running on full voltage constantly - but body has to be almost asleep. A weird physical and mental state to be in - but one that for me at least is ideal for riding, especially on more 'technical' sorts of routes...

It's a difficult thing to do actually if we are honest. I try to remain relaxed as much as possible for the reason you mentioned, but frequently find my shoulders hunched or my legs too tight. The bike turns in better when your arms are relaxed, but try telling mine that on a left bend. I remember it being mentioned in the twist of the wrist book about being counter productive and how you have to remain relaxed. Easier said than done. Incidentally,  I know that books revered but it's bloody hard work to read. I've given up on it each time.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 6:46 pm

Have a read of Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, relax, don't white knuckle the bars, countersteer. Not too hard to slip into this mode of riding after a few practices and it will make you smoother all round.

muttley1
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 7:52 pm

@muttley1 wrote:Have a read of Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, relax, don't white knuckle the bars, countersteer. Not too hard to slip into this mode of riding after a few practices and it will make you smoother all round.

muttley1

I meant  the second one yeah. Thanks, still found it a difficult book to take much from though as it gets a bit technical about suspension etc. I've always countersteered too, I think coming off the bike and breaking my collarbone has made me a bit tentative still.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:Having just got the bike back on the road after a long spell off, I noticed on the first ride that my right hand and arm were aching from the heavy throttle action. 

I  had similar problems that disappeared since I installed thinner renthal grips and new throttle cables (oem).
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 7:18 am

Final day at college today, been a very long drag and can't wait to get out of that place as its killed my interested in I.T . In other news I'll be at Loomies between 5-6 this evening as I'm going to europe for two weeks as of tomorrow and I've not gotten breakdown cover sorted out yet, or packed, or the wheel changed, or anything just sat on here as usual  Laughing
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 6:49 pm

you will now be able to do what you want to do james with no college, a job maybe and ride the bike. enjoy your time away and take it easy and hope the weather holds for you  Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 7:30 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Final day at college today, been a very long drag and can't wait to get out of that place as its killed my interested in I.T . In other news I'll be at Loomies between 5-6 this evening as I'm going to europe for two weeks as of tomorrow and I've not gotten breakdown cover sorted out yet, or packed, or the wheel changed, or anything just sat on here as usual  :lol:

Best of luck with the trip - I'm sure you'll take some photos and show us!

Packing is easy: if it doesn't fit then don't take it ;)
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 7:00 am

Have a good time, James. Looking forward to reading about your Euro jaunt.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:05 pm

Have great time on your trip, james, take loads of pictures
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:08 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Packing is easy:  if it doesn't fit then don't take it Wink

Right...

My point being that in reality almost anything will 'fit' if you're determined Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:20 pm

If anyone wants to follow what I'm upto feel free to add me on facebook, I only post bike related stuff anyway. https://www.facebook.com/JamesCB500 

For those who wish not to, a summary is that the 4 others who I was on the trip with left me on the motorway because I stuck to the speed limit. I had to quickly find accommodation in Brussels, I'm now in Zoetermeer, The Netherlands at a friends house hence the forum post. Oh and I'm extremely dehydrated.  

Overall this is my plan Tomorrow Monday I'm doing 266 miles (camping sorted) , Tuesday I'm doing 172 (camping sorted) , wednesday 200(camping not sorted sorted at the time of writing this) ,  Thursday 150 ish (camping not sorted sorted at the time of writing this)  so Friday morning I'm ready for doing Stelvio Pass.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:38 pm

Glad you've managed to come up with a plan James, despite the desertion. Bad form that. Have they been in touch to at least check you're OK?
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:39 pm

@sullivj wrote:Glad you've managed to come up with a plan James, despite the desertion. Bad form that. Have they been in touch to at least check you're OK?
I second that!!!

Hope you're enjoying fella. :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 2:49 am