Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 May 2017, 9:13 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:...leaking radiator...blah blah

@Llewelyn1965 wrote:I have a second hand one on my 'parts' bike if you want it. You can have it free if you come and take it off. I'm situated in Swansea area.

If I lived near Swansea then I'd be along in a flash, sadly I'm rather far away, so I won't be taking you up on that.

In case you like a good laugh, today I tried out my repaired radiator:

It was all fine until it heated up and put the system under a little pressure.  Never fear - I have another bodge idea: I'm going to use the JB Weld (which seems to be sticking well) to stick a small bit of metal (say, 5 pence size) over the hole and see if I can reinforce the epoxy and stop the leak.   Wish me luck....

Last edited by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 May 2017, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Wed 10 May 2017, 9:25 pm

good luck with that one fella!!!!! :-D
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Tue 16 May 2017, 11:23 am

bike passed MOT with no advisories, tester seemed to show genuine interest in the CB500, and commented it was nice to have something sensible in for once and not completely over the top and unnecessary...

Also got him to have a good test of rear shocks because they are original as far as I know and I have a bit of a tough time believing they can still be functioning well after all these years but he said they are fine.... !
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 20 May 2017, 5:51 pm

Well the next instalment of my radiator bodge happened:

More JB Weld was applied and the whole lot was held on with Sellotape while the glue is curing.

Hopefully it will stop the spouting of water pictured earlier...
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 21 May 2017, 11:50 am

As my cb 500s was left up for over 7yrs (not started never good idea) so seals were gone in front master cylinder....as its brembo and only one that seems to do rebuild kit was wemoto... it worked out at nearly 60euro wasnt happening....so i got nissin master cylinder(think its off super4) of a breaker(half inch bore)i bled it yesterday.... see what its like in next few days
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 21 May 2017, 7:58 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:As my cb 500s was left up for over 7yrs (not started never good idea) so seals were gone in front master cylinder....as its brembo and only one that seems to do rebuild kit was wemoto... it worked out at nearly 60euro wasnt happening....so i got nissin master cylinder(think its off super4) of a breaker(half inch bore)i bled it yesterday.... see what its like in next few days

I suspect that it will be fine. It is worth pointing out (in case you hadn't noticed) that (as I recall) the thread on the Brembo banjo bolts is different from the one ones commonly used on other master cylinders - so it is probably better to use the one that (hopefully!) should come with the 'new' master cylinder, failing that, if you are going to try using the Brembo one, be careful to check it fits.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 21 May 2017, 8:02 pm

The final photo in a short series about bodging my radiator:

The slight dark patch is where it is still leaking, so it will need to be fixed properly at some point, however this will do for now!

I fear the only way to properly fix it will be to remove the gunk I've stuck on (dremmel!) and try and use some kind of aluminium solder/braze on it to plug the hole (the internet suggests this is how you might sensibly fix an aluminium radiator).
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 21 May 2017, 8:59 pm

Doesn't the missing top rad mount bolt bother you more than the leak?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 May 2017, 10:59 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Doesn't the missing top rad mount bolt bother you more than the leak?

There's meant to be a bolt in there? :) I'm not sure that my bike ever had one in there, that, or, I had to cut it out when I replaced the radiator. There is actually one in the other fixing that you can't see, so it's not going anywhere.
Crash- Elmit
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Crash- Elmit on Thu 25 May 2017, 3:30 pm

went for a job interview, first one since cancer treatment and giving up chemotherapy.
start work next Tuesday doing the job I'm trained for (power press setter)
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 25 May 2017, 4:40 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:went for a job interview, first one since cancer treatment and giving up chemotherapy.
start work next Tuesday doing the job I'm trained for (power press setter)

Two accounts of great news, great to hear that things are looking up and that you're still able to get a job in your own trade.  cheers
Crash- Elmit
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Crash- Elmit on Thu 25 May 2017, 4:49 pm

Cheers James.

Gave up the chemo due to too many side effects, and they told me it does not guarantee to get rid of any remaining cancer cells, so why put up with feeling like crap for another 24 weeks. Also I would not  have been fit enough to go for the interview so that's a bonus
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 25 May 2017, 7:46 pm

Congratulations on getting a new job Crash.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 25 May 2017, 7:55 pm

yes well done that man Very Happy
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 26 May 2017, 6:12 am

Well summer must be here as I've managed to start the bike twice yesterday without any need of choke, the bike wasn't too happy but it idled for a short time before stalling, only needs choke for about 10 seconds now before she idles well.
NotASecretaccount

Post by NotASecretaccount on Tue 30 May 2017, 9:11 am

After having a ride out yesterday in the chucking rain I'm regaining my confidence in the s20 evo front tyre, as this is was the tyre that I came off with when I hit diesel. Chucking it about as if it was dry on unknown roads with gravel mid way around every corner was great fun, even airborne a few times. Just need to get the front tyre changed as it's pretty well worn now. 

NotASecretaccount

Post by NotASecretaccount on Wed 31 May 2017, 6:50 pm

Bit of a whoops moment whilst out riding last night. Saw the hedge line stop, then the bump in the road as the road disappeared and thought the road went straight until I saw the white line start to move.

skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 6:36 am

Yesterday I took a route I take a couple of times a week to fill up with fuel on the way to work. I saw a single light behind me as I exited one village and realised (further on) it was a BMW, one of the big ones (1100cc upwards) with all the panniers on it. I had allowed him to pass me a few weeks ago but it was dry and bright and I thought I would see how it went. I even had the outer sole of my left boot graze the road at one point which I haven't done for a very long time. To cut a long story short he couldn't get close enough to pass me and as I turned off for fuel he flashed past - I felt quiet smug, a 23 year old, 2 cylinder twin keeping a nearly new, 4 cylinder (not to mention over double the engine capacity) at bay. To paraphrase something I have heard - its not what you have - it is how you use it (although I am sure it wasn't meant in the context of motorcycles but it fits in here)
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:27 pm

Yesterday I was looking at getting my CB back on the road, not easy to do from a wheelchair.

Currently recovering from a non bike related injury and itching to get riding again.
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 1:19 pm

My CB has been stood, outdoors, for over 18 months without being started. Today I got a 15 quid battery and it started straight up. No fettling, no new fuel, just popped the battery on and hit the starter.

Gotta love the 500's.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 9:34 am

I've been somewhat touring in Scotland, bike developed a problem with one of the plug caps on the ht leads while I was on the isle of skye. As in I would experience massive powerless/full on engine breaking at the moment I was wanting to apply power. 

I pulled onto the path on the main bridge that I thought was ramped and nope... it was a vertical curb and I've hit it and bent the front rim on both sides. 

I rode the bike for over 7 hours home ontop of another what ever hours hours ride I'd done earlier in the day. The bike would lose power between 4 and 6k rpm. Yesterday I did a total of 569 miles with just over 100 of them between Invergarry and Glasgow in pouring rain, easily the heaviest I've ever ridden in. Had to change gloves and tshirt to stop myself from shivering. Made it home at 1:15am after setting off just before 5pm.
ZekeVal
Rossi
Rossi

Post by ZekeVal on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 9:48 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:I've been somewhat touring in Scotland, bike developed a problem with one of the plug caps on the ht leads while I was on the isle of skye. As in I would experience massive powerless/full on engine breaking at the moment I was wanting to apply power. 

I pulled onto the path on the main bridge that I thought was ramped and nope... it was a vertical curb and I've hit it and bent the front rim on both sides. 

I rode the bike for over 7 hours home ontop of another what ever hours hours ride I'd done earlier in the day. The bike would lose power between 4 and 6k rpm. Yesterday I did a total of 569 miles with just over 100 of them between Invergarry and Glasgow in pouring rain, easily the heaviest I've ever ridden in. Had to change gloves and tshirt to stop myself from shivering. Made it home at 1:15am after setting off just before 5pm.
Sounds like fun !!!

I drove 900km (560 miles for your imperialists tongue  ) yesterday in about 14 hours, longest I ever did on a bike, and I was just hammered at the end of the day; and I had a smooth running bike and good weather.

Can't begin to fathom your ordeal!
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:06 am

Having just got the bike back on the road after a long spell off, I noticed on the first ride that my right hand and arm were aching from the heavy throttle action. I thought I'd loosen the accelerator/decelerator cables at the grip and get some oil into them. I finally managed to get the switchgear open after some effing and blinding, 18 years of grime keeping screws on! My aim was to release the nipples  Rolling Eyes and clean up the area and then oil. FFS, fail. I could not get them out. Anyone? In my frustration I decided to roll back the grips a little and clean up as they were filthy underneath,  much to my surprise as I did so, the throttle snapped shut as it should do. It turns out the grip was sticking to the end weight and not closing properly. So at the moment I've just turned the grip at that end over a little and it works fine. Has anyone else had this? I think the grips are the original ones as are the switchgear and end weights. 

I've fitted a new exhaust and it's centre stand stop is too short, new one required. I was considering removing the centre stand and fitting bobbins for a paddock stand,  but where? I'll probably buy a new stop though.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 3:50 am

Had both those problems - at least twice.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 7:13 am

Okay - more awake now. "Solutions" - bar-end weights aren't necessary, imo. I can't remember precisely why my off-side one started to pinch the grip and thus slow the snap of the throttle return down - but it definitely did. And it pissed me off no end. So eventually I just got rid of the damn weights on both sides and glued some closed-ended grips on, because they looked a bit better than the open ones when the weights weren't fitted.

So - does an absence of bar-end weights cause any adverse effects? E.g. more vibrations through the bars? Possibly - probably. Definitely? Either way, I don't find them obtrusive - and, honestly, I'm not even sure I can tell any difference at all. More likely the mirrors vibrate a little more, and so it can be slightly more difficult to suss out what's going on behind - but again this is barely worth bothering about, and only happens at certain limited points in the rev range.

As for the main stand stopper, I cable tied a one inch piece of hose from a Renault Clio onto the stand's part where it connects to the end can. That's all I did. But as stated elsewhere, my can still sometimes moves around slightly and goes out of alignment so it can be necessary to loosen the three parts of the pipes off, align everything again, and re-tighten.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm