Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Jameshambleton

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 7:11 pm

I booked my bike in for her MOT of Friday I'm expecting a couple of advisories, rear brake inconsistent as I think there is a bit of air in the system and loud exhaust (my mum has misplaced my baffle, not that I'm complaining but she is  Twisted Evil)
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 3:43 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote: loud exhaust (my mum has misplaced my baffle) 

Please can I be there when you try that one with a police officer?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 5:23 pm

FYI the Fuel exhaust is not excessively loud without its baffle. I never ride with mine in and I did my IAM test that way too - ex-cop examiner said it sounded well.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 6:57 pm

@trevor machine wrote:FYI the Fuel exhaust is not excessively loud without its baffle. I never ride with mine in and I did my IAM test that way too - ex-cop examiner said it sounded well.
I use a Beowulf and it's a lot louder than the delkevic, not heard someone's Fuel to compair it to yet.

@Stooby2 wrote:

My Gopro is usually recording regardless, and it's true she has actually lost it. I only use mine when I'm running the bike on my estate and I need to get it upto temp not to annoy the neighbors too much, and for MOT's (usually) of course.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 1:07 pm

@Stooby2 wrote:

I said a similar thing to a guy I saw on a Ninja 600 with NO silencer - apparently he had an akrapovic one and got nicked.

Dan 

(btw +1 on the Beowulf but bike performs better with baffle in)
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 2:47 pm

Came home from spending the night at the girlfriend's place, to find my bike leaning against the front wall on it's side. So annoyed. Turns out the hard standing in front of the new house has been made with shitty tarmac which has degraded massively, leading to my centre stand digging a hole into it and falling on the right side. To make it worse, the engine bars would have saved it from most of the damage had it fallen onto a flat surface, but because it hit the shin high wall instead it hit the tank and completely missed the bars.

No idea how long it was on it's side, but I was out all last night and got back about 11am, so I'd imagine a fair while. Luckily there wasn't anything leaking from it, and as I was about to try and lift it back upright a nice guy was cycling past, and asked if I needed a hand. Turns out he was an ex-biker, having had his nicked and not being able to get a new one. Between me and him we got it back upright and moved it off the hardstanding onto the driveway.

Damage seems to be a dent in the tank, lots of chipped paintwork and a 1.5inch crack in the radiator fairing. 

Gonna have to find somewhere new to keep it now, I had originally chosen there because it was a bit harder for anyone to lift the bike out into a van, but now it's gonna have to be on the street for a bit.

Will pop out later to get some pictures once I can muster up the strength to look at it again, really annoying but I keep saying to myself it could be much much worse.

This week definitely isn't my week, having had the wheels stolen off my pushbike 4 days ago while I was at work.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 6:23 pm

Crying or Very sad
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm

yes you are having a downer of a week not good at all and more unwanted expense Neutral
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 11:20 pm

got questioned when stopped regarding the 'mods i must have done to the bike' after a repeated caning of bigger bikes off the lights, - answer, no mods Smile , a small lie as im one tooth down at the front sprocket (its one of my top three mods so far by the way) but anyways isn't the cb tremendous off the lights ?!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 11:21 pm

I never ride with a pillion (with my size, there's no room !) so today I re-shaped this

from a damaged one I got from SuperSim. I don't know whether something similar will be possible on the exhaust side though.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 8:26 am

@Beresford wrote:I never ride with a pillion (with my size, there's no room !) so today I re-shaped this

from a damaged one I got from SuperSim. I don't know whether something similar will be possible on the exhaust side though.

Will you pop on the original one for an MOT?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:49 am

I can think of 2 options for the r/h side. Either cut it off just after the exhaust mount or go all the way & hang a strap for the exhaust from the top suspension mount.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 12:05 pm

@ashcroc wrote:,,,,,hang a strap for the exhaust from the top suspension mount.

I'd like to work something out. I don't need the pillion peg mounts (MOT isn't interested as there is effectively no pillion saddle) and with shorter brackets it is much easier to access the swing-arm and chain etc. for cleaning and maintenance.
Anybody got a broken rear-disc model RHS bracket (with front peg mount intact) for sale?
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 3:19 pm

Said goodbye to the CB500 today, I'll still be checking out this forum though as it's such a great place.

Now to sort all my other bikes...
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Tue 12 Jul 2016, 7:34 pm

Just got around to fitting the new chain and sprockets to my friend's bike. Definitely needed new ones!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 12 Jul 2016, 7:48 pm

I'd be interested to compare those with the old rear sprocket. I'd be surprised if it showed anywhere near that amount of wear.
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Tue 12 Jul 2016, 8:08 pm

All four together : 

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 12 Jul 2016, 8:20 pm

You did right Smile
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 1:18 am

Finally got some pictures of the damage from the incident with the wall the other day. Still annoyed about it, but ah well.

Anyone got any tips for fixing the damage? I was thinking peel off decals, some sort of filler, then and down and respray, new decals over the top? And drill out the end of the crack in the fairing and just fill it in with black sharpie for now. 

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 6:28 am

gutted for you pendleton j, thats particularly sad to see as we share the same colour scheme.  you going to fix it or just press on for a while? good luck

p.s i black sharpied my front radiator fairing and it worked a treat.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 10:58 am

Well recently I've been quite busy, since I lost my job. 

Someone threw a pair of bt 003 tyres over my gate at 8:30am... damd fly tippers -  Thanks @Tricky. they're much appreciated 

The concrete base with drainage has been put down, turns out it was just really poor drainage with the thickness of clay than anything else. 

I made a work bench out of 100% recycled materials (apart from the screws) Old pallets, a 10 year old work top and the wooden frame that was used for the concrete base.

I've relocated the oversized reg/rec from been crammed under the fuse box and starter relay/solenoid, and reorganised all the wiring long the bike for the accessories I run so now everything is neat and not crammed under the tank, and side panels.  

Oh and I fitted a much needed ground/earth wire too, which I now realise could have been connected to the rad.

Talking of rad, my themo switch for the fan to kick in stopped working so that had to be replaced.

I found a victim to take on the back with me.

Hang on not that one, this one. 

I've washed out my topbox, loaded up the panniers for my scotland tour. 

Relocated the rear indicator plug in point to under the seat rather than the rear cowl for easier accessibility, I only did this after I replaced the relay and... fitted the bike back together, before taking it all apart again, sometimes I wish I didn't have that pannier rack fitted all the time. 

And to finish off, my bike is in for her MOT today, new engine spacers and bolt are getting fitted until I am able to afford a replacement set of stainless from a fellow forum member. New front and rear tyre, and the main stand is getting cut out since it snapped and seized in.
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 11:46 am

@geewhizz wrote:gutted for you pendleton j, thats particularly sad to see as we share the same colour scheme.  you going to fix it or just press on for a while? good luck

p.s i black sharpied my front radiator fairing and it worked a treat.

Gonna do what I can for the moment, although money is a bit tight with the insurance renewal coming up soon. Off-topic but it really annoys me that the comparison sites don't understand you can ride on a CBT and build up no claims, and therefore have more no claims than years on your A2 license.

Anyway, probably just gonna duct tape for now to stop the paint and stuff peeling off, and figure out some way to fix it in a few months.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 1:10 pm

Leave it as it is, just spray acf50 over bits u think mite rust i aways carry a small piece of wood for side stand..its a hard lesson to learn.. i am parking in a dodgy spot where i am work at mo ..where i know only matter of time my tank going to get a bang ...  so i picked one up same colour for 35euro going change it over and put my good tank into attic ..
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 7:41 pm

Today was a good day. 2 new tyres, front engine bolt was changed (the garage spent ages on it looking at my bill) and the mot passed

Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 10:12 pm

raced it at mallory park today with a full grid of cb's, had a really good day and the weather was glorious.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 1:44 pm